• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Procharged 99 xj project questions.

DaltonJames99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am a new member to this forum so i'm gonna cut right to the chase: I have a 1999 xj sport 4.0 that i have been daily driving for about 5 or 6 years now and i'm think about putting a procharger on it. My goal horsepower/torque is is high 200's low 300's, preferably right around 290-305 hp 315-330 tq. I have a pretty basic idea of what i need to do to the engine for it to handle the small amount of boost i'd like to put through it (no more 7psi) but i have questions about the transmission, which is my case is an automatic. Would i have to do any modifications to it to handle a bit more power? Will the transfer case handle that kind of power? Should i be concerned about my driveshaft and half shaft? I'm not going to change the front or rear diff gear ratios, i'm pretty happy with those in their stock form. I'm just wondering if any one here has done this before or is a expert of these transmissions and would know what it can handle. Also if anyone has any protips for supercharging a xj 4.0 I'm more than happy to hear them. Thank you!

Also any performance parts companies i should look out for? I was thinking about getting stuff through 505 but their prices are a little steep and their products seem shoddy sometimes. I've every done business with them once and it was for a muffler.

505 is shady as hell. I advise stay away.

The AW4 is a stout transmission and shouldn't have issues with that power. Fringe XVO offers modified valve bodies if you want. Firmer shifting, less slipping. I have one and I love the way it shifts.

I wouldn't worry about a 1310 series U-joint at those power levels. Depending on tires, vehicle weight & usage I wouldn't worry about any of the drive line.
Avoid Rick Rimmer as his business reputation is dog$H!T

Thanks guys, I read the other forum on the AW4 but it didn't really tell me what i wanted to know. I'm thinking a shift kit for now should be fine, and later one maybe a clutch pack replacement or upgrade.

Back