• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help! Looking for my first XJ in NOCO area!

Brent C.

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve lusted and dreamed for a wrangler or XJ for some time! The time has come to purchase one. I would prefer the XJ for its room. I would like a “newer” model but would never turn down a nice early example. I would prefer a 5 speed but again, wouldn’t pass on a decent auto. Really, my only disqualification would be cancerous rust or just completely trashed. Is there a place I could start other than Craigslist or EBay? I’ve looked at a couple but too rusty... budget around $5k. what say you all?

Just some tidbits, if you're looking for a "newer" 97+, best years are going to be 98 and 99. 97 is prone to electrical gremlins and 00-01 have the low pinion D30 and crappy head. 5k for a XJ is more than enough, especially bone stock. Manual might be a little harder to come by, but the auto's are great as well. As for searching CL is your best bet, another place to look is the facebook marketplace. cargurus, autotrader, cars.com are all places to search as well, Happy hunting.

Is “Rough county” a good lift? Found one with a 3” and all RC springs and steering assembly. It looks nice. I don’t want the “death wobble” lol.

As Smokeyank stated above, stay clear of the '97 XJ's. You'll thank us later.

If you plan to run moderate, rocky trails, the automatic trans will be safer and easier. People can master rocky, technical uphill climbs with a manual, but usually incorporate a hand throttle. Manual transmissions contribute to jumpy, jerky, bouncy climbs and are more prone to rolling backward off of the obstacle.

Yeah, I’ve done mild off-roading before. Trucks and Blazers. Both auto and stick. Tight rock crawling is better in an auto, but I will 90% of the time will be two track and gravel road exploring. That’s where I prefer the manual. I can pick the “shift points” and not rev over 2k for better mileage. At least that’s the theory. Lol

Anything cheap is likely cheap. :cool:

Yeah, lol. I get it. I shoot long range rifles as well and understand the cheap argument.... I’m going to see it and go from there. I looked at a 96 last night that was traaaaashed. Holes in headliner, extremely muddy, multiple cracks in the windshield, electrical switches missing on the doors with gaping switch holes.... I felt sad for the little XJ... it was just only $1500... it needed more love than I had time.

This looks ok. Not perfect, but it’s 20 years old...

qCQKsHT.jpg

Isn’t it a 97? I wouldnt buy it if it was a 97. I dont know much about it but the guy is a good guy. One of the neighboor’s I’d let use my tools. Do you know Joel Crane I’d bet he would know of a few good Xj’s in town. If you need parts let me know, I work part time at TnT customs.

The problem with '97s is that they tend to have electrical gremlins.

But the real reason, is that they seem to be a unicorn for parts. Some of the big things, and common things from '98s+ don't swap in.

I've seen '97s scrapped due to the above mentioned problems. Fixing it (mainly finding correct swappable parts) was more work and money than it was worth.

Back