• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not wanting to shift into 4 low...

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
what would cause me jeep to be hard to shift into 4 low?... it seems like it wants to grind into gear more than shift into gear, it usually takes a few tries to shift it into 4 low before it goes... like today i wanted to see how much room i got in the fender well so i know how much backspacing i can get away with without rubbing during full flex

so what i did was i found a field with all those dirt mounds everywhere stopped, put it into neutral, shifted the transfer case to neutral, then when i wanted to go into 4 low it wouldnt go all the way into gear... so i tried to shift it back into 4 high, and it wouldnt go all the way, so i put it into drive and it grinded when i tried to put it into 4 high, went back to neutral on the t-case and tried to do 4 low in gear and it wouldnt do it... so i went back to neutral got it into 4 high then it finally went into 4 low... but im just not sure whats possibly wrong, i know a little grinding cant be good right...

maybe i could get some help also i just swapped my tranny and the the linkage i believe is put together right but 4wheel shifter is loose and wont go into any 4 wheel gears how do i adjust

Wrong forum?

Is that all you can contribute?

As for the 4 low shifting. The best way to shift, is put it into a slow crawl, drop tranny in neutral and then pop it into 4 low.. while it is still moving a little. Its a juggle, but I do that and never had any problems.

As for the 4 low shifting. The best way to shift, is put it into a slow crawl, drop tranny in neutral and then pop it into 4 low.. while it is still moving a little. Its a juggle, but I do that and never had any problems.

Yep, just slow to a roll and put the tranny in neutral, then jump the transfer case into 4-Low. Being stopped on even the smallest little grade makes it very difficult.

Or you could just say screw it and use the old adage, grid 'em till you find 'em. :eyes:

Yes. That is all I have to contribute. The concept of putting a post like this where it is supposed to go. Tell me, what is Street and Performance about a 4 wheel drive shifter problem?

Sometimes its hard to get the teeth directly lined up. Try rolling at about 2mph with the tranny in N, then shift into 4L

that's the way. it even says so right there in the manual. :shocked:

i know a little grinding cant be good right...
Or you could just say screw it and use the old adage, grid 'em till you find 'em. :eyes:

cute rhyme, but i'm no fan of the practice. you could end up with transfer case gears that look like this:

picture.php

Just take it slow...

Shift the tranny in to Neutral
Put the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd High then slide it to Neutral aswell. Next Pull the handle back slowly into 4wd Low wiggle it a little until you think its in the right spot.
The Light will be on, on the dash put the tranny in drive and let off the brake slowly .

Works for me every time I had the same problem

Back