• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine rebuild guidance

Vitzaa

NAXJA Forum User
Hey fellas!

I'm still grateful for all you guys advising me on repairs when I broke down traveling. Thank you all again!!

I just wanted to pick your minds a bit for some guidance.

We arrived back in our native state and I have access to tools and a garage. The jeep is guzzling oil, I'm refilling a couple quarts every three fill ups, #3, #4, and #6 plugs have massive carbon deposits, it's so bad that #6 bridged the electrodes. Compression is a bit low on the same cylinders as well. I figured I'll pull the engine and give it a refresh.

I don't mind dropping a little $ into it. I don't need anything over the top but a little more oomph wouldn't hurt. I'm also registered in California so I have to pass smog...

Whats currently installed.
2001 xj
THOR cowl intake
PROMAXX head
High flow water pump and mishimoto radiator
Banks exhaust manifold, precats in place, 3rd cat removed with full 2.5" catback exhaust
Novak ax15, dual friction clutch
35" tires 4.88 gears.
Weight was 5,500lbs (2,300front 3,200rear)

What do you guys recommend?

Since Russ is the man for 4.0's and he's local I would suggest him for your machine work!

Definitely check out Russ Pottenger at Bishop Buehl Race Engines. I've talked with him several times over the years and have seen his work. Top notch guy, and he's always bragged about building strokers that will pass smog.

I too would recommend Russ. I do have one of his strokers. It sits in my kitchen waiting for me to get back on the Comanche. LS swap on an XJ and my 2000 XJ cracked a piston. At 280K and poorly maintained, wonder how it made it that far. Well, at least the head was not cracked. Time to finish the mini-stroker.
I'd talk to him about the cylinder head. I did a search and have mixed reviews on ProMax cylinder heads. Russ does put in LS valves and springs. Fantastic work. I hear about 20+ HP from his heads. I went with a setup to use 87 octane from him.

Edit: Are you running the stock rocker arms? I noticed that the Promax used bronze valve guides. I hear stock rockers and bronze valve guides wear out quickly. If the engine is still assembled, put some motor oil in the cylinder, then do a compression check. If the numbers don't improve, then probably your valves are not sealing. I am looking at using powdered metal valve guides for the head on my mini stoker. Snagged the last set of 8 of Trick Flows for SBC valves. I haven't looked into using the LS PM valve guides, for LS heads. I did get a set of 243 LS heads, and had them cleaned. The Powell valves seemed nice and tight in them. The Engine Techs OK.

Last edited:
Definitely check out Russ Pottenger at Bishop Buehl Race Engines. I've talked with him several times over the years and have seen his work. Top notch guy, and he's always bragged about building strokers that will pass smog.

Right on, thank you. I'll give him a holler tomorrow

I too would recommend Russ. I do have one of his strokers. It sits in my kitchen waiting for me to get back on the Comanche. LS swap on an XJ and my 2000 XJ cracked a piston. At 280K and poorly maintained, wonder how it made it that far. Well, at least the head was not cracked. Time to finish the mini-stroker.
I'd talk to him about the cylinder head. I did a search and have mixed reviews on ProMax cylinder heads. Russ does put in LS valves and springs. Fantastic work. I hear about 20+ HP from his heads. I went with a setup to use 87 octane from him.

Edit: Are you running the stock rocker arms? I noticed that the Promax used bronze valve guides. I hear stock rockers and bronze valve guides wear out quickly. If the engine is still assembled, put some motor oil in the cylinder, then do a compression check. If the numbers don't improve, then probably your valves are not sealing. I am looking at using powdered metal valve guides for the head on my mini stoker. Snagged the last set of 8 of Trick Flows for SBC valves. I haven't looked into using the LS PM valve guides, for LS heads. I did get a set of 243 LS heads, and had them cleaned. The Powell valves seemed nice and tight in them. The Engine Techs OK.

Man, I know the feeling of having a huge to do list... Not fun when the missing factor is time, or money... Running 87 would be awesome, especially if being able to have that extra oomph. I'd be happy with anything over 240hp just to be able to climb hills on the hwy without having to drop to 45-50mph in 4th.

Ive got no idea what valvetrain or rockers are in the head. Never opened it. PO neglected the block though so I'd rather do a full tear down and start from scratch. Might as well at this point at least...

Hopefully Russ's lead times aren't too bad. Our RV is getting some body work which should take a couple weeks. Fingers crossed that the convo with russ tomorrow will be eventful

So I've been trying to reach russ since last week and his phone number is off without a way to leave a voice mail

I called 626-967-1000

Does anyone know another way to get a hold of him?

His cell is 626-673-2203

As for a little oomph, I would consider a cam plus a larger throttle body.

As I posted in your other thread I would also ditch the coil rail!

Haha I know man!! I would do it in a heart beat but I don't think the smog police in California would approve lol.

I've got connections in southern Cali for smog but we are currently looking to move to northern Cali / southern Oregon. Once settled there, if it's possible to do I'll do it for sure.

As for the oomph, cam and headwork are definitely the way to go. Not sure if the larger throttle body would work well with trying to still run 87... I emailed Russ as his other number didn't work so I'll just follow his guidance

The throttle body doesnt care about octane. I run 87 with my stroke at 9.5 CR. Russ's headwork doesn't come cheap and takes a long time to get done!

Well I'd recommend russ as well he was out of my budget.

Depending on budget you can stroke your 4.0 and still pass smog in ca I doing that right now did have high nox on my pre test but had a big exhaust leak and bad cat

I'd say tear down your engine check your heads and block
If both are good can slap and mild cam like cleggs stage 1 with new lifters and rebuild from there our can hunt down some stroker parts and build a nice 4.6 or 4.7

If your local to the high desert I have some 4.2 rods you can have

The throttle body doesnt care about octane. I run 87 with my stroke at 9.5 CR. Russ's headwork doesn't come cheap and takes a long time to get done!

I just figured the larger TB needs the engine to suck up the larger air volume, stroker and high comp pistons. Otherwise it would prevent the proper vacuum to have the lower rpm response.
I'm not a tech though and don't have the knowledge or experience to understand engine dynamics

Well I'd recommend russ as well he was out of my budget.

Depending on budget you can stroke your 4.0 and still pass smog in ca I doing that right now did have high nox on my pre test but had a big exhaust leak and bad cat

I'd say tear down your engine check your heads and block
If both are good can slap and mild cam like cleggs stage 1 with new lifters and rebuild from there our can hunt down some stroker parts and build a nice 4.6 or 4.7

If your local to the high desert I have some 4.2 rods you can have

Thanks so much for the offer tony! I don't mind purchasing though. Very kind of you to offer!

I'll see what Russ charges, worst case scenario, I'll buy the parts from him and have a local shop my pops works with do the machining. Assembly isn't a big deal

Russ's work can take a long time or be sent over night. I did purchase a bottom end 'kit'. I was planning on using a head I did or had done locally. A few months latter, I decided to get one of his heads. He had one that suited what I wanted on the shelf.
As far as TBs, it depends on what you are running as to size. I have bored out stock TBs to use on stock motors. So, 60mm through. I also turn tapers top and bottom. Helps to a small amount. I do have a BBK 62mm. For whatever reason it didn't run well on a stock motor. It should have.
I did have a block machined locally, and then assembled the 'kit' from Russ. I used the term 'kit', as his is semi custom, or even custom or Alacarte.

Back