• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Leak down test help

You could swap plugs and injectors (to different holes) and make note of what moved where. If the mis moves when a part moves...

I swapped injectors around... swapped plugs.... everything stays in the cylinder.... but what throws me off is the fact that there is compression. I'm halfway thinking that maybe there is an issue with something that I assume to be good based on the prior tests.... I'll probably start by pulling the cap and rotor again and take it from there....

My guess is its ignition related, whether its being created by something before the plug wire or even in the cylinder like possible HC's when it get's hot. Have you done a compression test when its real hot?

My guess is its ignition related, whether its being created by something before the plug wire or even in the cylinder like possible HC's when it get's hot. Have you done a compression test when its real hot?

No, will do that in the next couple days. I"m thinking that I will start from scratch and start at the distributor and work my way through this.

My money is on a bad coil. Swap it with a good one and see how it behaves.

That doesn't add up. You sure you are not thinking of a 2000/2001?

Remi's is a 97 and should have a single coil.

Wow this is one h*ll of a misfire. At work I hate when we get random misfire problems they always prove to be a big pain in the ***. Remi Hopefully I will remember tomorrow when I Pick up the ECU from you to talk to you about this and see if I can offer up any extra help. Maybe I can come down on a weekend and help you run some tests.

Asa

I had one today with a "random" mis. turned out to be compression related on number 3 and 6. So any new news?

I haven't had a chance to touch it... probably wont till Sat or Mon.... so you had compression issues on 3 and 6 resulting with a miss on 1? How did you resolve it? How does compression on 3 and 6 affect 1?

Negative. I had one with a random misfire code in computer. Turned out it wasn't random at all, it was only number 3 and 6, but the computer couldn't tell.

For what its worth i've seen carbon build up cause misfires in vw's. I would doubt thats what it is, but since it seems to be pretty hard to chase down I thought I would throw it out there.

Remi holy shit mine is STILL doing the SAME EXACT THING! 97 4.0/aw4 152,000 iv swapped injectors, done champion plugs and oem wire's, cheacked the injector to see if its not shooting every time, gettin good signal at injector plug... here's what mine will do turn on the jeep runs good tell she warms up, once she is warmed up if she stays anywhere in the 2000to 2100rpm range u can feel it misfire then the cel come on, iv gotten around this for a little while i scratch my head but my next thing to do is cap/rotor hopeing this will help but i dont think so because JUST like yours its only staying on #1... any other options?? this is my DD and i cant be down all the time! im about to take it in for my local guy to scratch his head over it.

There it's something on top. I haven't had a chance to play with it though but when I get a moment I'll pop the valve cover and inspect the top end.

well today it is a new bitoch now it dosent do it everyonce in while now its acting like yours i cant even get down the block without it throwing that dam code and spudders. BUT it has no problem idleing and NO hesitation when gas in giving in P or N.... wtf??

Hey bro, any luck yet? i gave and took it into my mech to look at.. hopefully he can figure it out. ill let you kno!

Haven't had the time to touch it. Each time I do weather sucks..... and I'm not motivated to work in a cold garage. Let me know what yours turns out to be as it is very likely mine has the same problem.

Back