• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My jeep likes to die

XCastleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was cruisin up 25 when the engine died. I got it to the shoulder and tried starting it a few times. It would crank but not turn over. All of my lights and gauges work fine.

Eventually after having sat for a few minutes, it started. I started driving home and a while later it died again. Same thing. Tried starting it and it wouldnt fire up. and then having sat for a bit, it started. So I kept heading home.

It died again. I pulled over, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then it started again and I got it home.

Ummm... WTF?

2000 XJ, auto, 143k, and a huge PITA.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Describe the "dieing" effect. Does it stumble, stumble then die or is it like someone flipped a switch to the off position?

When is the last time it had a tune-up?

or, if youre like me, its out of coolant, gets too hot and shuts off. :dunno:

shoulda gave me a call i coulda swooped you up

You're jeep is saying it hates you and that it wants to be donated to me. :D

It just dies. No sputter or stumble. It's like flipping a switch.

It's not the coil seeing as the 2000s are distributor-less.

Temp gauge reads normal, sitting right at 210.

It doesnt sound like the alternator because all of the lights will work and the battery is staying charged.

I'm getting fuel pressure at the line so I dont think it's the fuel pump.....

Yep, I'd check the CPS. Fairly easy to get to and try.

It has multiple coils, but it should also have an ignition control module that could be going bad.

My 99 with about 140K died on the wife once a few months ago. I changed the CPS. It hasn't happened since. Don't know for sure if that was the problem but for a few bucks and 20 minutes work it was worth a try.

So far, so good.

I've had the CEL on for a while. I've known that it was on because of my oxygen sensors but didnt have the money to replace them. I bit the bullet and shelled out the cash for em and switched them out. I've driven it to/from work once so far (thornton to littleton and back) and it hasn't died since the swap.

It doesnt make sense that the cause of it dying would be bad O2 sensors..... but it seems to be ok now so... thoughts?

its possible...
the computer could have been getting a bad reading, and bad O2 sensor told it shut down.

Not really.

Lots of guessing going on here, I would recommend using a scan tool and see what is missing when it quits. Fuel, spark, or compression, one is going missing.

Yeah, the computer isn't that advanced or intelligent. There is either a loss of spark or fuel going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XJCase had his 2000 XJ on Holy Cross with us and smashed his after CAT 02 sensor into the floor boards and it set the CEL and the jeep was stumbling horribly and running like crap. He ended up unplugging it and it helped. I don't think it ever died but it sure made a difference on how it was running.

Yes it will make a difference, the O2 sensors are used to determine lean/rich conditions and the computer will adjust the fuel trim accordingly. The computer however isn't smart enough to say, "Oh man, the fuel ration is way off. Lets shut her down until it can be fixed." My S4 isn't even that smart and its computer is more advanced than that Jeep's about as much as my iPhone is to an Apple IIe.

When you unplugged it that probably forced the computer to go back into a closed loop, the same as how it runs until operation temp is reached. The computer sets fuel trim and timing to a designated pre-set thats burned into the computer at the factory.

Back