• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Homemade rear bar and carrier

Very nice work! I like how you blended the sides into the bodylines of your XJ and put the fillers under the taillights. If you ever come to the states for an extended period of time, you're more than welcome to kick back here...course I'll chain you to the workbench and make you build stuff.:cheers:

Started the carrier, looks basic at the moment, and it is :) It will easily take my weight if I sit near the bearing next to the upright. I've decided to change where the latch will be as I'm chopping the arm down, it's too long and will be a pain to open and swing out when parked or on tight trails.

Took about 1 hour to get to here mostly because I had to notch the arm with the grinder :(

Bumper_068_NONUM.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Would this style of carrier have enough strength in it? I'm assuming the triangulation off the mount helps a lot? Just knocked it up in solidworks.

carrier.jpg

Cheers
Steve

That is more than enough there Steve for it to work. ;) Even just a A frame shape would be enough. You only need a little more than what a common 2"x3" arm would give which in essence only a 1"x2" extra.

Short like that, the long arm is a pain to open even with what I have just tacked up. My old one was short and was much more convenient. I will be notching the bumper bar for the locking mechanism and a small trigger type release will come through the swingarm near the loop/handle at the end. Again hard to explain without pics.

Cheers
Steve

Don't forget to make sure the hatch has clearance to raise, even with that latch installed........I just thought about that and felt like saying something :)

EDIT: But wait, the latch installs on the arm......but still, that stud bolts to the bumper.......

There will be a section cut out of the bumper, the latch will mount under the arm and slide into the bumper when the arm swings shut :) The stud will be mounted in the cut out and the top will be level with the top of the bumper. I think that will be the tidiest way of keeping the top of the bumper flat and everything looking very integrated with the swing arm closed :)

Cheers
Steve

Very Nice what about the oem tail lights do they still work?

Awesome Post Steve, I really like your work. Very nice job so far, cant wait to see it all done. Nice work with the LED's

I hope to get the carrier well and truley started between Christmas and New Year and finisged not long after as I need it, my 15x8 Soft 8's arrived yesterday (came via boat from the US so takes a while) so I can start laying things out now.

Cheers
Steve

Did some of the carrier this morning. It'll be cut off where the pipe is attached to the bar, currently most bits are just tacked on or just placed there.

Rear_Bar_130_nonum.jpg

Rear_Bar_138_nonum.jpg

Rear_Bar_144_nonum.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Back