• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Homemade rear bar and carrier

Made the handle for the latch while I watched some telly, cut it out with the grinder very roughly first from 5mm plate and then finished with a coarse sander on the dremel and a couple of files. You can see how the latch will hang below and swing into the bar. The lever will go through the swing arm not against the back like it is here.

Rear_Bar_160.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Nice. Are you using 2*3/16 or 2*1/8 inch swaure tube? I built one years ago out of 3/16 and it was a heavy bitch. I now have a Currie 1/8 carrier and it's about half the weight (TJ).

Got the latch pretty much sorted, the handle is not bolted on here so moves around a lot more than it will normally. I'll also put a spring on it in the bar to keep it tight in the locked position so it cant rattle open (unlikely anyway I would think)

Here's a short mov of it in action (3mb)

http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/Rear-Bar-and-Carrier/Rear_Bar_185.mov

And some pictures, the slot under the stud is so I can get a spanner in there and adjust the position if required. The checkerplate is just sitting there as I removed it to cut the bar.

Rear_Bar_192_nonum.jpg

Rear_Bar_191_nonum.jpg

There will be a plate on the swing arm that covers the latch and also the stud when it is closed, it'll have a rubber strip on it to give the latch some tension so it doesn't rattle.

Rear_Bar_181_nonum.jpg

Cheers
Steve

It's a shame you had to cut back into that after giving it such a nice paint job :( Looks good nonetheless!

Will you make a lock or something for the tire carrier, so nobody can open it and swing around on it like a monkey?

Blaine B. said:
Will you make a lock or something for the tire carrier, so nobody can open it and swing around on it like a monkey?

I'll probably add a tab that I can but a padlock through to lock the handle in place.

Cheers
Steve

Finally got to hang a tyre on it (31x10.5) :) Still need to cut the bar holding the tyre to the right length and make the plate the tyre will bolt to. Also need to brace the bar the tyre hangs on and will have a piece of pipe poking through the centre to help line the wheel up a bit like the box section is at the moment.

It was great to see the weight of the wheel made no difference to the latch lining up and caused no sag in the bar or hinge etc. I think it is plenty strong enough and will work well. I'm really pleased with it. Now it's down to the detail to finish it off (almost).

I decided against adding hilift mounts etc as I've never taken one anywhere before and there is always the roof basket. I did decide to leave the upright long though as a work light will go on the top.

Rear_Bar_233_nonum.jpg

Rear_Bar_216_nonum.jpg

Rear_Bar_208_nonum.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Pretty much done, I still need to make the mount for the number plate and put in the seals and cap for the bearings. The number plate will mount in the center of the spare, that's what that blue wire is, it'll be replaced and will be used to pull the real one through.

Tomorrow I'll finish it off :)

Bumper_085.jpg

Bumper_081.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Not sure if I missed something but are you cutting the excess square tube ABOVE the tire mounting flange or is that being used for something? Does the tire rest against this upright as well as bolt on to the mounting flange? It doesn't appear that the tire would rest against the upright tube on the lower side of the mounting flange.

steve, you are doing great work here man, by far the best bumper i have seen in here both for looks and function. Im taking as many notes as i can for when i start my bumper with swing.

John90XJ said:
Not sure if I missed something but are you cutting the excess square tube ABOVE the tire mounting flange or is that being used for something? Does the tire rest against this upright as well as bolt on to the mounting flange? It doesn't appear that the tire would rest against the upright tube on the lower side of the mounting flange.

At the moment I plan to mount a worklight on the top of it, something I can swivel and use to light up the campsite for those times when I need to set the tent up in the dark. Currently the upright is level with thte top of the tyre when it's mounted on the arm.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F said:
At the moment I plan to mount a worklight on the top of it, something I can swivel and use to light up the campsite for those times when I need to set the tent up in the dark. Currently the upright is level with thte top of the tyre when it's mounted on the arm.

Cheers
Steve

Cool....great idea! I knew there had to be something more at work there.

Back