• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mounts

rrackett

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone help out with some advice on what is a good motor mount to install to replace the broken stock ones I have in my 96 XJ? There are a few out there but wanted to ask here since someone had to have replaced them before. Of course I am looking for the strongest and mounts with the least vibration while driving around town.

Unless you are Off-Roading, put the stock replacements back in for the least amount of vibration.

It dose not matter if your using it as a DD or hitting the trails. I sheared the engine bracket right off the block while flooring it around a guy in traffic (when the XJ was still stock). Thats on top of replacing the rubber mounts twice in one year. Go Brown Dog and never worry about them again, engine side or chassis side. One of the first up grades any jeep owner should do. I am sure you will get many more posts telling you "Brown Dog", its for a reason.;)

Dont Forget the NAXJA member discount!
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1072365&highlight=brown+dog

I very rarely praise products as I am rarely impressed with "bolt on" items but the Brown Dog motor mounts are a GREAT product.
I got the "super kit" and was totally pleased with the price, performance, packaging, and fit of the product.
Driver's side comparison...
standard.jpg

Passenger side comparison...
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I had brand new Mopar mounts yet the alternator and fan would hit the frame on the passenger side. This no longer is a problem after installing the Brown Dog stuff.

Just ordered the Brown Dog mounts today. I went with the rubber mounts. You guys think they will hold the motor enough to not make the header crack? (Also ordered an APN Header). My brother seems to think you have to run the poly ones in order to get anything out of them.

Also can anyone recommend a good tranny mount?

If you ordered Rubber fronts, go with a rubber tranny mount to avoid issues.

Engine mount should not be an issue with a header. I believe the cracking at the Y joint is an expansion/contraction issue, not flexing.

Redneck: You can't blame an engine mount for sheering the bolts off the engine. That happens because the fasteners are either under torqued which created slop, or way over torqued which weakened the bolts, causing them to fail in sheer. Don't get me wrong, the Brown Dog product looks well built, and has an awesome rep. He was worried about noise on the street, so I gave him and unbiased answer based on my experience with Poly mounts in Jeeps as well as other vehicles.

Ive the brown dog super kit in my garage for about a year! Hope to get it installed during christmas break. Its pure beef and can not be beat.

However, If I had a stock rig Id probably cheap out and get stock replacements.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=315180'

Honestly Ive never had an issue with the stock ones, but mine are getting pretty sloppy with 160k on the clock.

Im with ^^^^^^

I run em. Look at what happened when they put them in a hydraulic shop press, they still were structurally capable of doing their job.

After reading this thread, i just purchased the brown dogs myself .. paid via paypal .. i have my new to me 2001 cherokee and it has 94k+ miles on it .. im sure the mounts are tired .. i went with the rubber bushings .. i want a smooth ride with no vibration .. i'll deal with this now rather than down the road when i have a hole in my radiator.

I have the rubber ones from browndog amazing product but I would have just put replacement ones back in the vibes from the Browndog just annoy me to much. I have about 157,000 miles on my 91. I will try and back the nuts of slightly to see if the vibes are not as harsh. I figured the stock mounts lasted probably 100,000 or more miles.
smugshot2422069-L.jpg

smugshot597963-L.jpg

smugshot8507327-L.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone replaced thier tranny mount in conjunction with thier motor mounts? And if so, is there an aftermarket tranny mount or only factory? Thanks

Back