• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mount and Bracket Upgrade

01XJnew

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, I need to replace my motor mounts they decided to fail on me over the weekend so I was looking around and want to upgrade the motor mounts to the Brown Dog Motor mounts. I figured since I am replacing the motor mounts I should go ahead and replace the motor brackets because I use the XJ off road a lot. The main thing I am wanting to know is can I replace the motor mount brackets on the engine without pulling the motor? I know I can jack up the motor and replace the mounts because can I do the motor mounts as well or does the engine need to be pulled? Thanks!*

No need to pull the engine. It can all be done with a jack.

The Brown Dogs come with the absolute best written instructions I have ever found anywhere. Lots of details, all the way down to which side to do first. Lots of good illustrations to go along with the instructions.

I left the motor in, when I put in Brown Dogs. I put a board or 2X6 about 12 inches long between the jack and the oil pan sump.

Same here. Did the Brown Dogs with the motor in. I did have to slightly elongate a couple of the holes with a burr. For some reason a couple of the bolts didn't line up. Problem was most likely on my block, rather than the mounts. Brown Dog has quality products.

X2 what Anak said, great instructions!

I’ve installed a couple sets of the brown dogs… and I will say… the SFR/stinkyfab ones are a major improvement on fit and finish, not to mention they pickup extra bolt holes over the brown dogs…

I installed the Stinky Fab Mounts and brackets on my rig including his trans mount without removing anything from the Jeep. Unfortunately I have not been able to drive my rig yet to confirm how they ride.

I would suggest the full upgrade with brackets though for longevity.

Back