• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Laptop tech questions.....

The price of solid state storage devices is going to drop like a rock in the next couple of years. And you won't see real performance improvements until the new SSD specific interfaces come into use.

I have not looked lately or read up on it but have they 'fixed' the degradation from I/O's to the them ? I know the ones I bought had a very limited warranty and it was recommended that you still use a mechanical drive for temp storage and swap.

I don't know if they fixed that or not. I know that as far as life goes, they last about the same as the disc drives do, given corruption and read errors with discs. 'Course, that's just my opinion, not proven.

I have not looked lately or read up on it but have they 'fixed' the degradation from I/O's to the them ? I know the ones I bought had a very limited warranty and it was recommended that you still use a mechanical drive for temp storage and swap.
I'd suspect the problem has been at least partially fixed. You won't see EMC using SSDs unless they can stand up to some pretty serious duty cycles.

For the average user I doubt they would present an issue. Unless you are one of those people that keeps a laptop for 20 years.

For the average user I doubt they would present an issue. Unless you are one of those people that keeps a laptop for 20 years.
I'm one of those, my T30 is a factory refurb that I bought last year. Works great, upgraded it a bit with bigger drive, memory and a DVD burner but as long as it keeps working I'll keep using it. Though I am going to order one of those refurb T42's off of overstock with the docking station.

well, for that matter, a hard disk drive wouldn't last 20 years either so it doesn't really matter how long you keep it I guess. You hard drive (regardless of SSD or HDD) probably won't last that long with constant use...so! Go with the one you think you can afford. I promise you though, if you get a SSD and install linux on it, you will see a dramatic speed increase. Boot times on SSD's are simply astonishing...

Btw, I like to leave my sentences open-ended for some stupid reason....

Back