• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep "friendly" smog spots

big black xj

NAXJA Forum User
Feel free to PM me this info, but i am looking for a place to smog my jeep.
Stroker went in about a year ago, and since its registered in North Carolina, there has been no need to smog it.
There is a remote chance that it doesnt have Cat Conv, but that can be fixed for a few dollars.... That being said, i still need to CA smog it in order to get a base sticker since its registered out of state.

Anyone "know" someone?

Yes, but about 4 hours away from you. Do not know of anyone that is still in your area.

Just take it to a test center, tell them you need to know if it will pass BEFORE you try to get it registered in CA..They may help you out, won't hurt to ask them..HTH

Most smog shops have a "pass or don't pay" deal. So you have nothing to lose if you fail. You will have to fix whatever they tell you though before it can be smogged. If it passes, then you pay the normal smog fee you would have to pay anyways.

On a side note - there should not be any posting in this thread (or on the site) of any illegal smog activities or by-passes, hook-ups, etc....

Just take it to a test center, tell them you need to know if it will pass BEFORE you try to get it registered in CA..They may help you out, won't hurt to ask them..HTH

Sounds like he is in the military. You do not have to register your vehicle in the state you are in, but they do require SMOG of the vehicle. Most smog shops take that into consideration.

The easiest solution would be to keep it registered as a North Carolina vehicle if possible. I do not know any places anymore that have "pass or don't pay". They are all "pass or free retest". You can take it to a smog place and ask for a "pre-test". It's about $40 and they will go thru the whole test and tell you what it needs but it will not go on the trucks smog record.
We all want clean air but the CA smog can be a huge pain. I had an 88 XJ fail the visual inspection once just because the smog tech said the breather hose was bent too sharply, even though it passed the actual emissions part. Good luck.

If you can get registered on Catalina Island, there's no smog.

That being said my vehicle isn't even registered on the island.
The problem with that, is state transfer requires initial smog. There are some southeast counties that you do not have to smog as well.

The easiest solution would be to keep it registered as a North Carolina vehicle if possible. I do not know any places anymore that have "pass or don't pay". They are all "pass or free retest". You can take it to a smog place and ask for a "pre-test". It's about $40 and they will go thru the whole test and tell you what it needs but it will not go on the trucks smog record.
We all want clean air but the CA smog can be a huge pain. I had an 88 XJ fail the visual inspection once just because the smog tech said the breather hose was bent too sharply, even though it passed the actual emissions part. Good luck.

California state law is that you must register the vehicle in the state if planned residence. That being said that is how come the base wont let you keep it there until it is registered in cal, because you are technically a resident of calif and the military will obide by the law.

Just get it smogged and be done with it.

It's the base that requires the smog to get his base sticker. Active duty military can keep their cars registered out of state with no smog requirements. The local socal bases all require a smog though. That being said, the base has no way to check that an actual smog was done. If he was to show a smog printout with his vin and some emission numbers that say pass he'd get his sticker. He's under no legal requirement to smog.

California state law is that you must register the vehicle in the state if planned residence. That being said that is how come the base wont let you keep it there until it is registered in cal, because you are technically a resident of calif and the military will obide by the law.

I lived here from 1997 to 2006 and was _NOT_ a resident of california, nor did I have cali plates on my cars.

edit:

Here's the vc

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc6701.htm

The cars I bought here did have cali plates but they were registered non-resident. When my CRX wouldn't pass the visual, something about an engine swap, it went to Iowa plates.

Last edited:
Same here, and you speak the truth!

It is very unwise to discuss "smog hookups" on a public forum.

Good luck!

It's the base that requires the smog to get his base sticker. Active duty military can keep their cars registered out of state with no smog requirements. The local socal bases all require a smog though. That being said, the base has no way to check that an actual smog was done. If he was to show a smog printout with his vin and some emission numbers that say pass he'd get his sticker. He's under no legal requirement to smog.
Under the base law, he is under a legal requirement to smog it. That said, a properly running stroker ought to pass smog. How many strokers do we have here that all pass smog?
And yes, as a non-resident military, you do not have to register your vehicles in CA just because you are stationed here. When I was stationed here, that was a big "scandal", Marines would go to the DMV and even the DMV personnel didn't know the law. They tried to tell them they needed to switch registration to CA and get a CA license. When the Marines would go back with a printout of the actual code provided by their units, the DMV would grudgingly accept.

I mis-read how he worded it. He is stationed out here but not moving out here. Sounded like he was going to be here permenantely.

Yes, all he needs is a smog then. That is the only rule that calif requires.

With a good cat and everything else is functional it should pass no problem.

I have cleaned this thread of potential "legal" concerns and personal attacks.

It was not a personal attack.

We have been friends for a few years now!

Back