• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Important

Moab Prep:

Hopefully the white one can pull the green one to Moab. 1992 Chevy 3500 HD with a 350. 109k on the clock and pretty clean for the year and it only cost me 3500. So now I am in the market for a trailer

I've always loved those trucks. Looks cleaner than most the trucks in Mexico, and no peeling paint. Good score

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

That will be a real nice tow rig chuck. Those trucks just keep on working. Bed will make it nice for camping, once I had a flatbed I never wanted a box bed again. They are handy

I really like that generation of Chevy trucks, something neat looking about short bed, standard cab combination.

Uncle has midget wrestling pretty often, as if lucha libre wasn't enough of a freak show as is.

So looking at potential second vehicle, Rob found an 01 Yukon XL 6.0. Horrible daily driver, but seems like it'd be a decent tow rig. Anything to look for in one of these? I know a few of you guys own these.

I know rusted brake lines are a big problem on the Silverados/Sierras of that era. The lines run along the outside of the drivers side frame rail and catch all the wash off the front tire. I don’t know if it’s the same on the SUVs or not.

Its a 17 year old gymnasium on wheels from the north. The typical stuff that rust eats, it will have rattles, it will tow fine but not win any races, fuel mpg will suck, front wheel/unit bearings will need replaced sooner than later, the electronic 4wd actuator will go out at some point, ABS sensors randomly cause lights to come on.....blah blah blah

but I am a fan of LS based motors and run them in to the 2-300k+ ranges, so if you don't mind the other crap, they are not bad.

Wait what?! Why have we not been invited to this yet. Naxja event
One of my friends was just mentioning he is going to some extreme midget wrestling event in st louis? I asked were the midgets extreme, or the wrestling..all he said is that he hoped they were single. I almost bought him a jeep and signed him up when he said that.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Why do you say it's a horrible dd? They make great dds just use a little more fuel but are comfortable, roomy and easy to work on. I love my 02 w/8.1. When you replace parts dont use cheap stuff but thats with almost any vehicle now a days. GM or Timken bearings, I use Moog tre/balljoints knowing they last 40-60k before needing replaced, chnage out the fuel filter once a year, and yes brake lines do rust and yes they do suck to replace but buing prebent GM lines makes the repair a snap.

My cheby is making changes if you haven’t seen it on FaceSpace.

I should have done this a long time ago.

0b4a4d48b07d2a0c856283aa84623f49.jpg

We DD our Yukon XL 6.0 and with a tune from Blackbear it pulls down 14 mpg mixed city/hwy. Not stellar, but for a 3/4 ton full size SUV carting around a baseball team it could be worse.

Typical Chevy front end stuff; tie rod ends/pitman/idler arm. Ours is a '00 with 170k and I haven't had to do much to it maintenance wise. They rust around the rockers/cab corners and brake lines tend to get rusty as mentioned. Knock sensors are under the intake and always get water in them causing a CEL. Not a bad job, takes an afternoon.

I love ours and will probably keep it around for a long time. The 6.0 isn't a torque monster, especially in the iron head 00-02 models, but a PCM tune wakes them up big time. I run a 93 octane tune and it pulls hard. Just remember that it's a smallblock and it makes all of its power at higher RPMs. Once you get over holding it at 4k RPM it's fine; and I've only ever had to do that once with the big camper on (8500lb brick) up a steep hill and it never got hot or acted up.

Looks good dan.

My cheby is still waiting on plates so no DD yet. I do love the simplicity of this truck though:

No AC, no computer to speak of, and just crank the windows down LOL

Back