• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Idea: Sounds crazy but a SRT4 motor in a cherokee

XJ98Jeep said:
Yep, you guys beat me to it. Put the 4.0 in the neon, and you'd probably make 25-30 MPG. Lifted toasters on wheels get crappy mileage, not 4.0L engines.
Or you could compare the 2.5L to the 4.0L that were offered stock in the jeep, you only get a 1-3mpg gain with the 2.5L.

89Daytona said:
Or you could compare the 2.5L to the 4.0L that were offered stock in the jeep, you only get a 1-3mpg gain with the 2.5L.

I know the Wranglers with the 4cyl engines came with 4.10 gears, I'm assuming the XJ's also came with 4.10's and a 4cyl engine. That would most likley explain why there is not much of an increase in mileage. The SR-T engine with the stock 3.55's shoud have better mileage.
Would you need shorter springs up front because of the decreased weight up front?

~Alex

didn't the last few years of the tj have 2.4l DOHC motors? Take one of those blocks with the computer, wiring, bellhousing, turbo it and be done.

Yea it did and IIRC the JK still does. That was after DCX killed off the AMC 2.5L motor. Just don't know if I would bother trying that on a lifted XJ that actually will see trail use.

bjoehandley said:
Yea it did and IIRC the JK still does. That was after DCX killed off the AMC 2.5L motor. Just don't know if I would bother trying that on a lifted XJ that actually will see trail use.

JK only comes with a V6.

I think its a crazy idea.

Hmmm...Maybe i should do a swap with my SRT also! I wonder what kind of milege i would get with 505hp?:wow:

rmm727 said:
didn't the last few years of the tj have 2.4l DOHC motors? Take one of those blocks with the computer, wiring, bellhousing, turbo it and be done.

If memeory serves '03 and newer wranglers you could get the 2.4L or 4.0L may be later than 2003, I know 05-06 both had the 2.4L 4 banger in them, same engine as the pt/neon/etc. the engine are cheap from wreckers, and parts are plentiful.

Also Chrysler has the newer 2.4L the "world motor" which produces something like 170ish hp 140ish torque and they are in the sebring/avenger/compass/patriot/caliber. The SRT-4 Caliber has a turbo version of that motor stock around 285hp.

food for thought, don't know how well a turbo 4 cyl would wheel but on the street it would probably be fun.

Why not get the tranny and transfer from a 4 cyl Dakota and use the 2.5 turbo out of a early turbo Mopar like was stated eariler in this post. It is a lot cheaper and easier to find parts for the 2.5/2.5 engines. These motors have pushed early Caravans into the 12's with some minor bolt ons!

haha we're bringing all the TD guys out of the woodwork! as above, 2.4 turbo or 2.2/2.5 are both not terribly hard swaps, and both are easier and cheaper to get 400 horse at the crank than the 4.0. the 2.4 IIRC has a higher power ceiling, and you could use an ax-15 with a libby bellhousing, or the toyota r154. depending on what kind of gearing you want.

Doyle said:
food for thought, don't know how well a turbo 4 cyl would wheel

It would suck wheeling because there's virtually no torque below 2000rpm when the turbo's off boost. No offence but I can't see the logic of swapping in an engine with 40% less displacement than the one the XJ came with in the first place. Fuel economy won't be a reason because the difference is negligible. Actually, my 4.6 stroker delivers virtually the same gas mileage as my old 4.0 and has more grunt below 2000rpm than a turbo 2.4 could ever dream of (not to mention a Kansas flat torque curve). If you want some high rev fun on the street, just slap a Vortech supercharger onto a 4.6 stroker and watch the world fly by in your rear view mirror.

streetpirate said:
haha we're bringing all the TD guys out of the woodwork!

I have been a TD nut since I bought my car in 97. I have a 87 garnet and silver Shelby Charger. I have done a TII swap using a Lancer rad/cooler, JBR 2.5" exhaust, 803 injectors, FM cam, FWD computer, Walbro pump, and a TU turbo. It was running 22 psi but I keep killing my 525. I tried a built 413 but it died too. My next move may be a 555 swap. It is currently sitting in the garage with 70K original miles. It also has a BIG hole in the 525 where the diff used to reside. I snapped the diff caps on a 2-3 shift under full boost and sent the fragments out the rear of the trans!

I love those little cars and would love to have a SC in every color combination that was ever availble.

BBeach said:

You know there is more to this world than the XJ right?

I would drop my XJ for a GLHS Omni in a heartbeat!

Dr. Dyno said:
It would suck wheeling because there's virtually no torque below 2000rpm when the turbo's off boost. No offence but I can't see the logic of swapping in an engine with 40% less displacement than the one the XJ came with in the first place. Fuel economy won't be a reason because the difference is negligible. Actually, my 4.6 stroker delivers virtually the same gas mileage as my old 4.0 and has more grunt below 2000rpm than a turbo 2.4 could ever dream of (not to mention a Kansas flat torque curve). If you want some high rev fun on the street, just slap a Vortech supercharger onto a 4.6 stroker and watch the world fly by in your rear view mirror.

You have never driven an SRT-4 Neon. Mine had over 200ft lbs of torque from 2000-5000rpm. After it was built it had 298hp and 365lb of torque with no loss of bottom end power.

Too bad he didn't start the dyno run at a lower rpm. I would swap a SRT-4 engine into my 4.0 MJ in a heartbeat. It would be way faster and have more torque/HP. A properly built one would still wheel great with about 400hp. Either way your MPG would be about 25 on the highway. My best was 32 MPG in my SRT-4 ACR after I built it. I miss that car...

A dyno chart of a stock one and a stage 2 one

Last edited:
TNT said:
You have never driven an SRT-4 Neon. Mine had over 200ft lbs of torque from 2000-5000rpm. After it was built it had 298hp and 365lb of torque with no loss of bottom end power.

agreed, my srt-4 can make boost at idle.... not really though but damn close, it spools up so fast there is really no lag at all, it would be awsome for wheeling because of all the bottom end torque. i had my stock srt-4 dyno'd at 228hp and 258ft./lbs of torque, and all at pretty low rpm too!!! i would love to see somebody do this!!

Dr. Dyno said:
No offence but I can't see the logic of swapping in an engine with 40% less displacement than the one the XJ came with in the first place.

Weight. Not for trail rides, but desert running.

mitsumotors said:
agreed, my srt-4 can make boost at idle.... not really though but damn close, it spools up so fast there is really no lag at all, it would be awsome for wheeling because of all the bottom end torque. i had my stock srt-4 dyno'd at 228hp and 258ft./lbs of torque, and all at pretty low rpm too!!! i would love to see somebody do this!!

I had a 2005 Black SRT-4 ACR for a couple years. I want it back.

I could be at 1000rpm in second and get 10psi of boost and 20 by 2000rpm with a 27 pound max boost at 4000rpm it would hold 22psi of boost at 5500rpm. I drag raced a 99 Viper and beat him 4 times.

I was even able to put 2 car lengths on a '69 427 tri-power solid lifter cam Corvette with a Borla exhaust as my only modification from 20 to 120mph. I wasn't even at WOT until 45mph because I was only trying to keep at his front bumper to 50mph and just walk away after that. It was sweet.

On the back straight at Road America I was able to hit 163mph which was when the rev limiter would kick in. If it had a stage 2 computer it would have been good for 170mph there easy.

Back