• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got my XJ!

DougJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've looked long and hard. I was looking at anything between '97 and '01, and came close once or twice to that elusive "perfect '99".

Came across an '01 Sport yesterday, very clean with about 86,000 miles. Brought it home and looked it over very closely. I also got a build sheet from the local Jeep dealer. It's in great shape and looks to have had little if any off road use. Some of the goodies on the option list are: Skid plates, Up Country suspension, 8.25 with trac-lok dif, AUX trans cooler, HD engine cooling, factory tow package, keyless entry, all power except for seats, and Cruise contol. All the stuff a boy could want! I paid $5200 for it. :)

11Oct07003.jpg

Problems:
AC is discharged, must assume a leak.

Blower motor only operates on high, I'm thinking blower motor resistor.

So, I'll be changing all the fluids and putting some miles on it to see how she's gonna do. I've got plans for some lift, and I already have already got a set of Rubicon wheels and tires for it.

I'm stoked!

Doug

Sweet XJ man, can't wait to see it grow

Google "Franklin Sussex Auto Mall"

this part (below) is the improved part to replace the factory blower motor resistor in 97-01 xjs. it is $16 at sussex, which I have to say, is an insane price. My local dealer (reamer) kindly offered it to me for 55, not including a charge for shipping to the dealer.

04885456ab

Its hidden behind a kickpanel located in the passenger footwell, which rests against the light that's down there and is held in by 2 8mm hex bolts. Remove two screws remove old part installation is the reverse of removal.

You have an evaporator leak. Sorry man, it's just the truth. You can get a new evap from ACkits.com for 78. You may also find some of the info in this thread useful for the recharge you'll end up doing (at the risk of self promotion) :lickout:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=930084

Thats a NICE 99 youve found. I envy you completely and i also have a 99 sport. Mine doesn't have half the options yours has though, and with 80k... well damn.

Sweet ride keep us posted on upgrades!!!!

Very nice. Is this your first XJ? If yes then you made a great decision.

Man they must be cheaper in CA! Mine had 105K miles and cost me $7K! It is a Limited though... Anyway, it looks very clean and a good foundation. Congrats.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty happy with it. The wife even likes it!

darjevon, thanks for the info on the parts. When I went by the dealer to get the build sheet before I bought it, I asked them about the resistor. Typically for a dealer, they didn't know what was up. He told me the resistor is part of the motor assy and I would have to buy the whole thing. I had already looked in a 2000 service manual (mine is a 2001 BTW) and it describes the resistor exactly as you did. Oh well.

So yeah, this is my first XJ, and with all the looking I did I feel I got very lucky on the way this one was optioned. It's basically got everything I want, heck, I haven't even been finding the 8.25 much less all the Up Country options.

Doug

Mine looks exactly like that except its a 99 and doesn't have the upcountry package it was a one owner Jeep though, I also searched for a long time

It does have the overhead console and heated mirrors which is I had trouble finding in a sport

I really like the white with black trim on sports

Mine had the factory Wrangler RT/S tires on it when I got it but I put on some Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos blackwall side out like the BFG's on yours

Sucks I have to sell mine in about 2 months because i'm going on an expedition in Chile for the spring so it will be posted up for sale on here when I come home from school in December

Great Looking XJ man

Good Score, Doug!!

I will be making a journey tomorrow with my son to look at the 01, I emailed you about......not my choice as its 2WD, I am just the test dummy!!!

BTW, its white as well!! As for as the A/C is concerned, it probably is the evaporator, I have to do that on my 4WD in the spring. Got everything working on it, but the charge would only hold for a couple of hours....those vacuum pumps/gauges don't lie!!! LOL. BTW, I hear it is a looooong job, so keep us informed!!

Nice ride! Just like mine only mines all blacked out (tint, had the rims blasted and powder'd flat black, black lettering etc...)...heated mirrors and I believe the 8.25 was standard with tow packages. Similar "sports" here in Eugene go for about 6000. Enjoy!

Back