• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I confess I went to look at new cherokees.

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Wife wanted a suv so naturally I went to a mopar dealer for a jeep.

I came home with this.

20150322_103527_zps6rq6nxaf.jpg

I've had an 05 300 for 6 years without any issues so it was a safe choice and it's loaded for less than the cherokee.

Pentastar. Yeah I had a hard time looking at the non trailhawk models lol. I test drove them though and this thing was noticeably more comfortable. I have a bad back so the diffence may be irrelevant to others.

I keep seeing the new Patriot and saying woah look at that XJ.

I don't understand why they have four different low-end models (including the new Cherokee). Only the Cherokee can tow 5000. Then there is the Compass, Patriot, and Renegade, all starting below $20k... why? I don't get it

Grand Cherokee Overland with diesel package looks interesting.

Last edited:
Yeah we looked at patriots too. They look alright but a wierd mix of boxy and bubbly. Dealer said no renegades until May. Cherokees they had were latitudes for 25k or the trailhawks for 30k our 300s was 28k since it was a 2014 model.

Not sure why the Compass ever existed unless it was intended to be a sibling to the Caliber. I'd be willing to bet that there were enough of "Us" (as in XJ owners) were pissed about the Liberty, Compass, and maybe even the IFS Grand Cherokee that Daimler thought that a XJ looking Patriot, followed by the Grand based and XJ-ish shaped Commander, then rebodied the Libery to be XJ-ish looking were good ideas. Not sure why both the Compass and Patriot are still being made (I'd have killed the Compass by now), but I'd be surprised that if once the Renegade hits these shores (since it's made in Italy) if at least one doesn't go away. I have to give FCA credit, even though they are using the Cherokee name on the KL, they didn't even attempt to make it or the Renegade look like the XJ without having them be at least somewhat capable on anything more off road than a gravel road! Been watching some KL Trailhawk videos on YT where they're on actual trails with other "real" Jeeps, kinda surprised by how well they do on some of the obsticals.

I keep seeing the new Patriot and saying woah look at that XJ.

I don't understand why they have four different low-end models (including the new Cherokee). Only the Cherokee can tow 5000. Then there is the Compass, Patriot, and Renegade, all starting below $20k... why? I don't get it

Grand Cherokee Overland with diesel package looks interesting.

Patriot and Compass are gone after 2015.

^ What he said. The MK's are dead.

I work for a mopar dealer, I have worked on more Cherokee KL's, than I care to admit. My thoughts-
The 9 speed trans is a steaming pile of garbage. My coworker Taj is our only level 3 trans tech. (Our main trans tech got promoted to Service Manager, so he can't help)- Taj single handedly, has replaced at least 15 9 speed transmissions between the 200 and the KL. No Trailhawks yet. I work in the back shop with him, so I have seen every single one. They have failed due to multiple issues, check valves, clutch failures... The worst though...

There is a snap ring (from what I understand) that is supposed to retain one of the numerous planetary sets within the trans. This particular shaft was machined with a groove that was simply too shallow- When the shift happens (usually a decel shift to a lower gear), the snap ring pops out, allowing the whole planetary to slam over, and spin another gear set, causing the vehicle to actually accelerate!

I am not a fan. I hope, dearly, that the Renegade is better than the KL. I hate the styling, I hate the visibility inside, and of course, the 9 speed. (The Renegade gets it too.)

I needed a new daily driver, so I bought a Dart GT. Has a 6 speed manual which I love. Great MPG, handling, everything. The funny thing? The KL is based on my Dart. I guess they decided to leave out the branded, signature style that Dodge understands... :looney:

Mine-
Jan/Feb 15 by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Jan/Feb 15 by Sean Mitchell 707, on Flickr

Ugh, I hate the look. It looks like a Kia.

I did park next to one with my XJ. I felt kinda dumb when I saw the higher bumper on that new thing...

I have seen some videos showing them performing some impressive feats right out of the factory, but then, I'm fairly certain I haven't seen them do anything that the XJ wouldn't do without any mods.

I agree, the XJ bearing the name "Cherokee" probably bothered the SJ loyalists, but the part that bugs me is that this is a total departure from what we all knew and loved. I mean, it's true that the Commander and Patriot and the Liberty KK seem to take styling cues from the XJ. And the first time I saw an ad for the Commander, I thought the XJ was coming back to production until I looked closer.

But that tells me that the manufacturers know we want the XJ back. I wrecked one just before Thanksgiving. I wished there had been a current one; I'd have put a down payment on it immediately, even in spite of all the stupid, federally-mandated driver-assist features in the current vehicles.

I just wish they'd indulge us...

srmitchell-Are the transmission problems phasing out as they catch them and not being passed on to the 2015's? Every new vehicle has its quirks...

I was trying to keep a positive mental attitude.

Jeez, all you geezers with that mentality are the problem with new cars. You'll never have a new simple car again, ever. Sorry.

BACK IN MY DAY, SONNY..... Who cares. FCA owns Dodge, Jeep, Alfa, Ferrari.... They're doing a great job. Have you seen the amount of JKs on the road?

We just picked up a 2012 GC (WK2) for my wife to drive daily. Base model, 3.6 5spd auto, AWD.

Thing is amazing. Quality of the interior is great and that new motor is incredible.

No immediate issues with 16k miles on it.

Last edited:
Jeez, all you geezers with that mentality are the problem with new cars. You'll never have a new simple car again, ever. Sorry.

BACK IN MY DAY, SONNY..... Who cares. FCA owns Dodge, Jeep, Alfa, Ferrari.... They're doing a great job. Have you seen the amount of JKs on the road?

you mean the JK that was designed and released before the merger?

kind of hard for them to take credit for that don't you think?

and then there's that whole JK pentastar head issue...

I won't own anything new, from any manufacturer. I don't need a local network in my junk. I like old school, old school is cheap, reliable and well tested.

maybe in 10 years after all of this is more mature it will work better, but come on, BCMs built into the gauge cluster? No thanks.

This

you mean the JK that was designed and released before the merger?

kind of hard for them to take credit for that don't you think?

and then there's that whole JK pentastar head issue...

I won't own anything new, from any manufacturer. I don't need a local network in my junk. I like old school, old school is cheap, reliable and well tested.

maybe in 10 years after all of this is more mature it will work better, but come on, BCMs built into the gauge cluster? No thanks.

That head problem was limited to the first 1.5 years of production and I don't think it was any worse than the 0331 head issue that the 4.0l had. My sister now owns a Challenger R/T Classic feels way nicer than the older ones, and both that and my now 3 year old 200 are much necer and use better interior pieces than her old Charger and our Parents Town and Country (both '06) or the '08 Sebring a friend used to own (I think Daimler and/or Cerberus sourced those from interior pieces from Dollar Store!) It does feel like the quatilty of my 200 has been better than that of the T&C, seeing as both were bought new by us.

We just picked up a 2012 GC (WK2) for my wife to drive daily. Base model, 3.6 5spd auto, AWD.

Thing is amazing. Quality of the interior is great and that new motor is incredible.

No immediate issues with 16k miles on it.

I just hit 34k on my 200 last night, only warrantied issue so far has been the replacement of the wiring harness for the active head restrain in the driver seat going bad. Otherwise, my back tires have worn out before the fronts (kinda odd, considering it's a fairly high hp front driver) and will need replacement soon, along with a possible rear alignment to go with. Otherwise, I'm not a fan of the drive by wire or stability control either, but considering this is the first vehicle I've owned with those and an IRS (no joke there), so that could be part of it and it sounds like most mid sized family cars are comparably restrained could be part of it.

This

That head problem was limited to the first 1.5 years of production and I don't think it was any worse than the 0331 head issue that the 4.0l had. My sister now owns a Challenger R/T Classic feels way nicer than the older ones, and both that and my now 3 year old 200 are much necer and use better interior pieces than her old Charger and our Parents Town and Country (both '06) or the '08 Sebring a friend used to own (I think Daimler and/or Cerberus sourced those from interior pieces from Dollar Store!) It does feel like the quatilty of my 200 has been better than that of the T&C, seeing as both were bought new by us.

and?

He cited the popularity of the JK as a reason to embrace all that Fiat has brought to the table.

the JK was designed and brought to market before Fiat took over.
You can't credit them for any of that. That's like saying Chrysler was responsible for the XJ, they weren't, but man, they did sell a bajillion of them.

So I'll withhold judgment of Fiat's management of the brand when they release the next wrangler.

Back