• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid Cage Build With passengers in Mind!

Well after rubicon trip in june, I wanted to look for a different trans cooler that would not block so much of the mechanical fan side air flow. I would always run 210-220 on hotter days on the trail, yes that seems like the norm. But going thru hot sac valley seemed to be running 220-225. I found a cooler from dana/spicer 4x23 inch. It was also time to replace heater core, and if the seats were out, time to replace the worn out seats. Driver seat was crushed down and I had the gangsta lean. Been a busy few weeks and its almost ready for sierrafest. I have to install new front axles tonight and get the interior back together. Oh need to charge the a/c system too.
It took some time to get the hose routing for the trans cooler to work with the existing p/s cooler. Lots of cutting on front crossmember. I think its gonna help out a lot on those summer hot days.

Part number on that tranny cooler ?

Mastercraft baja rs seats, recline and they feel good. I really like how they wrap around just enough under your armpits. The trans cooler was a last minute find, was going another way and stumbled on this one. Its Long/danaspicer brand many oems use these as factory. Its tru-cool LPD. Part number LPD 49201. I really only found one place in florida to purchase http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/4920-1.html
Per email with spicer any dana/spicer dealer can get, but I purchased mine thru the place in florida, from above website.

3 Link Build. I have had the parts for a 3 link build for some time. Been tinkering with brackets and how I wanted to place it. I do not want it part of cross-member, I want it high clearance to a point of good function. Did not want to cut into the floor. Want it strong so I never have to worry about it. So found some 1/4 plate steel that has same curve as ruffstuff frame plates on outer edge. I wanted plate to bottom of frame for a few reason; inboarding LCA mounts to be on same angle inwards as stock ( same turning radius, no tire rubbing); Being able to move jj joint brackets around on plate then weld to plate on the bench; also plate gets me another 1/4 inch frame seperation. The passenger upper link mount will be upside down resting on top of frame plate. Then when all mounted, passenger side will be gusseted to inside frame plate I installed. Note the plates will have gussets from outer LCA arm mount to outside of frame plate, so they can not be bent upwards... It will be plenty strong when I am done.
So 3 link setup should be 23 1/4 LCA at about 9-10 degrees.
ruffstuff axle bracket getting 8in or 9in axle seperation. Frame seperation 4.5in. UCA about 24-24.5 inch long, flat or angled down a little to 8 in axle bracket. Short arms now are at 19-20 degrees, So this setup should be a lot better!

looks awesome

So I have been test fitting all brackets and such, and as we all know things usually change a litte bit as you go. So LCA brackets is staying but the Frame side UCA is getting moved up. I was able to massage the passenger floor and get at least another inch of frame side seperation. I was testing fitting Upper arm and was not going to be able to use upper hole on axle bracket, so frame side had to go UP. Its better to have more anyways, So Need to make different upper mount on frame side which is almost done. It will leave me with about 5.25 inch of frame seperation, rather than 4". Oh and don't mind my picture showing stacks of plates as spacers to raise upper from lower mount, I was just test fitting. The finished product will be strong as hell! Will be braced to plate, and frame in numerous spots. I am hoping to have it done in about 2 weeks! I worked my butt off jan-feb so had tons of overtime, hmmm what should I buy? Well I bought some TrailReady 17inch Beadlocks. I did a test fit the other night and they seem perfect. 17x8.5 with 3.5 BS. BIG K I might be selling my lower control arms, also uppers with rubicon express joints at frame side, you got dibs.

Last edited:
3 Link Progress: I got the upper mounted to my frame plate and now have 5.25 inchs frame seperation. I ended up burning the passenger side plate on tonight and started working on gusset. Will Have triangle gusset rib across back of upper tower going over to inner frame plate. It will go back along frame for 5 ins.Then flat plate coming off upper link angled back going to frame 7 inches back( Like cardboard picture). Trying to explain this is not easy, HAHA. I should have the stuff installed next monday night, with pics. Dont worry you will like it!

3 Link Front continued. I got the driver side frame mount all welded in. Added Gusset to passenger side bracket UCA tower. Welded big triangle gusset to back-side of upper mount and to frame inner plate. Then added plate with holes about every inch to beable to weld to triangle gusset. Welded all together and will add some paint tuesday! Getting close!

Wow that passenger link mount is awesome. Looks pretty darn stout!

Man you were busy last night! The build is coming along well, really impressed! Can't wait to see it all done.

I really like the pass side link mount man!

Back