• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hmmmm...knives

XJ Dreamin'

NAXJA Forum User
I've become addicted to "Iron Chef." Not for the food. Lord knows, I get enough of that as it is. No, it's the knives. I've fallen in love with Japanese kitchen knives. Man, I hope I don't break down and blow all my XJ savings on Japanese cutlery.

They were slicing up bamboo shoots tonight and this guy's got this blade that's like 18" long and 1/4" thick along the back and he's runnning a bamboo shoot down to a ribbon 1/8" thick and 20' long. That was a beautiful blade.

Somebody talk me down! Help me remember that building my XJ is more important than owning really cool knives. Help! I'm slipping..................

Dude...you're talking about axes with me AND watching Iron Chef for the cutlery alone? :) What do you want me to say? Focus on building your vehicle? Do whatever makes you happy? You definitely know your blades.I'm still impressed with the info.

riverfever said:
Dude...you're talking about axes with me AND watching Iron Chef for the cutlery alone? :) What do you want me to say? Focus on building your vehicle? Do whatever makes you happy? You definitely know your blades.I'm still impressed with the info.

I was leaving the office one day to go out to the woods (my job includes a lot of time walking in the woods: on the clock: tough gig). Our business manager had just received a shipment but didn't have a knife to open the package. She said, "Do have a knife I could use to cut this tape?" I was wearing a wildland firefighters harness - a belt with suspenders - from which was hanging my machete, an M-1 bayonette, and a Valor boot knife. On my pants belt was a Case lockblade in a leather holster and my keychain fob was a minature Case lockblade. Five blades in all! I said, "Would you like XL, L, M, S, or XS?"

Later, I lost the Valor boot knife. I still miss that knife. Best throwing knife I've ever had. Ah, well. I still have my throwing axe: torch-cut out of 3/8" stainless plate. It's got pretty good balance, but the Valor was so much more elegant. I guess I'll just have to make sure I reserve space for all my blades when I build my cargo box.

I realize I've been a lot of talk and not much else lately. With two boys in little league we haven't gotten anything done around here. But, the season just closed this week. After the end of season party tomorrow night, all of my evenings will be free until fall-ball starts in September. I'll see what I can get done. Thanks for helping me out of a tough spot :laugh3:

For my work blades, I only use Wusthof Trident, in the Grand Prix flavor. For "personal" use, it's go Strider or go home...Can't argue with the quality of blades made by ex-Force Recon.

My two carry knives are a kershaw trooper or amphibian for a boot knife and a standard issue USN version of the kaybar, no leather, that goes on the webgear.

Funny story...

I had a buddy that is not mechanically inclined decide to change his brakes on his 2wd Toyota. I told him to call if he needed me to look at something. A while later he called and said he couldn't get the rotor off. So I told him to look for a small Philips screw (he said there was not one). Anyway...I go down there to check it out and the first parts of his tool collection that I saw were a pair of channel locks, a vice grip, some screw drivers and finally...a hatchet. I laughed my ass off. Since then I just refer to him as that...hatchet. I told him he needed a bigger f'in hatchet to do the job. I loaned him a hammer and he was back on his way.

Yeah - for me, grabbing a blade is just part of getting dressed. My usual carry blade is a Benchmade built, Emerson designed CQC7B (half-serrated tanto) in left hand, black finish. Man, I've beaten holy Hell out of that knife!

My secondary carry blade (for when I think I might need the extra claw) is a Gerber folding Applegate/Fairbairn, full size.

In the XJ, I also have a Mk3 Mod0 Navy dive knife, and an old M7(?) Bayo (the one that fits up to the M16, old issue. I'm pretty sure it's the M7, with the M9 being the newer one...)

People out here are always so stunned when I pull out a blade when I need one. The funny part is that I always get "Do you carry a knife all the time?" "Yeah. Don't you?" I've carried some sort of knife every day since about my fifth birthday, except while I was in BMT at Lackland. What's so odd about that?

5-90

hmmm got a k=bar, and a old American Indian throwing hatchet, manual auto lock (4in)Benchmade(best knife i ever owned) and two AK-47 bayonets, one still has dried blood on it from ....well you know....
Maier

Love knives.
carry a swiss army everywhere (its the biggest one) in the car. it woks pretty good, sharp, and lots of options.
My favorite knife in my collection is a home made knife a friend made, and the real old remingtom texas toothpick.
I feel ya on the iron chef...some of those knives are sweet. When I do HVAC I carry a Ginsu II to cut through all the crap...mylar backed plastic and fibre glass...

biscuitboy87 said:
Love knives.
carry a swiss army everywhere (its the biggest one) in the car. it woks pretty good, sharp, and lots of options.
My favorite knife in my collection is a home made knife a friend made, and the real old remingtom texas toothpick.
I feel ya on the iron chef...some of those knives are sweet. When I do HVAC I carry a Ginsu II to cut through all the crap...mylar backed plastic and fibre glass...

What really attracts me to Iron Chef is knowing that those guys are using quality pieces. I know when I'm watching those guys I'm watching guys at the top of their craft using pieces that are the best available. The fact that I really like Japanese blade design concepts helps, as well.

My philosophy is, if I want a leather jacket, I'm not buying naugahyde. If I want a blade, I'll have to have the funds to buy quality, or I go without. Plus, every blade I own has to be functional. That's my personal guideline as a collector: where beauty and function come together. If you add frills that don't serve function, I'm not much interested. No slight on any of the equipment mentioned above. All highest quality, for sure. Thanks for the references. I haven't been shopping for blades for several years. It's good to see what's out there.

I'm just saying, that is my guideline to try to control what I, personally shop for. Of course, that means my collection is small (due to funds). But, I don't have anything I wish I hadn't bought. As long as that is true, then I'm satisfied.

Urban Redneck said:
For my work blades, I only use Wusthof Trident, in the Grand Prix flavor. For "personal" use, it's go Strider or go home...Can't argue with the quality of blades made by ex-Force Recon.

Work blade? Glad to see there's other hash slingers out there besides me (well, was for 14 yrs before my knees self destructed...) Wusthof Trident are excellent, as well as Henckles. Houseguests are quick to comment on the big 'ol honkin knifeblock on my kitchen counter, especially the scimitar :)

Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Work blade? Glad to see there's other hash slingers out there besides me (well, was for 14 yrs before my knees self destructed...) Wusthof Trident are excellent, as well as Henckles. Houseguests are quick to comment on the big 'ol honkin knifeblock on my kitchen counter, especially the scimitar :)

Jeff

I only cook at home. The only quality piece I have in the kitchen is a hand hammered chinese cleaver. I use that for everything from parting, to chopping, to paring. The edge is hammered in. That is, from the back to the edge is one straight, flat surface of each side. It's never seen a file or stone: only the steel. I can reduce an onion to minced with that thing in nothing flat. There's a knife block with the standard, cheap wedding gift assortment (chef's, carving, boning, paring, etc.) and I take care to keep them sharp, but the only thing I use out of there is the chef's. I've had the cleaver since 1983. You have to care for it or it will rust, but it is one of the best blades I own.

Jeff in VA said:

Jeff

:laugh3: Knowing a little bit about where Urban Redneck works, I somewhat doubt he's slinging hash.....

Gotta have good knives in the kitchen. Good steel, and a comfortable fit in your hand. And keep them SHARP.

Oops.... and as far as carry.... a Swiss Army Tinker, a money clip with both a blade and small pair of scissors (pretty much never been used) and a Leatherman.

XJ Dreamin' said:
I only cook at home. The only quality piece I have in the kitchen is a hand hammered chinese cleaver. I use that for everything from parting, to chopping, to paring. The edge is hammered in. That is, from the back to the edge is one straight, flat surface of each side. It's never seen a file or stone: only the steel. I can reduce an onion to minced with that thing in nothing flat. There's a knife block with the standard, cheap wedding gift assortment (chef's, carving, boning, paring, etc.) and I take care to keep them sharp, but the only thing I use out of there is the chef's. I've had the cleaver since 1983. You have to care for it or it will rust, but it is one of the best blades I own.

It's the same concept of the Marine K-Bar. Damascus blade, IIRC. Hardened center with softer steel bent around it. The K-Bar I have is my fathers, he got it back in '64. It hasn't seen a stone in over 5 years but will still take the hair off your arm, without feeling it, in a second. Just don't throw it!!!

Jeff in VA, yeah, I'm putting my time in on the stove. Work at a private school in the high end part of town. They eat better than I do at home!

Urban Redneck said:
. Just don't throw it!!!

I bet that comes from experience, huh? :laugh3: No, I wouldn't throw my Dad's vintage stuff, either.

There's nothing wrong with the design, though. They throw great. I've got the M-1 bayonette and the fighting knife version of the bayonette (without the mount). Both with the stacked leather grip. They both have full-length tang, peaned and pinned, with a floating guard. I throw them by the handle. Pull it straight out and back: one step and sling like a catcher cuttin' down the steal at second. I adjust for distanct by my grip. Further from the CG means a faster rate of spin. Closer to the CG gives a slower spin. Ideally, the knife does only one flip. With the Valor, if I was further out, I could do two flips, if needed. I even did one three flip, but at that distance ranging becomes really chancy. The knife is a close in weapon, after all.

Always carry a Gerber mini Applegate folder...replaced the 10 year old EZ Out I lost last year. :(

Combat carry is an Emerson CQC7 BTS Wave for the small bugs.

Have a fullsize Applegate Fairbairn fixed blade for the medium sized bugs.

Next Generation Ka-Bar (cryo-treated blade, powdercoated) for the REALLY big bugs.

...and a Lancay M9 bayonet under the bed for the bugs that try to get right on top o' ya. ;) Used to live on my Mossberg 590. The Remington doesn't have a lug or it'd be there.

Wusthof Classic block set, #8125 w/ Santoku, for playing Iron Chef in the kitchen. :D

ECKSJAY said:
...and a Lancay M9 bayonet under the bed for the bugs that try to get right on top o' ya. ;) Used to live on my Mossberg 590. The Remington doesn't have a lug or it'd be there.
Well thank Gawd the Assualt Weapons Act took those deadly bayonet lugs away from us - damn drive-by bayonettings were rampant before then, huh? :laugh3:

My S&W S.W.A.T. FMR goes everywhere with me on and off duty. ( biggest pocketknife I can legally carry, and its got good balance to it)

My deuce gear has a Next Generation Ka-Bar like ECKSJAY's I'd imagine, its cold-forged and powder-coated as well.

I keep a homemade knife under the mattress, paranoid freak taht I am, with a bronze handle/hilt and five inches of 440 steel, serrated on the back. It's heavy, so I can use its pommel as a club and not just a cutter. >:^)

lol...inthe XJ I have a hatchet and an AK-47 bayonet.

Those Strider knives look nice as all h3ll, but they're obviously making those for the single enlisted types' budgets, not mine.

Yucca-Man said:
Well thank Gawd the Assualt Weapons Act took those deadly bayonet lugs away from us - damn drive-by bayonettings were rampant before then, huh? :laugh3:

Yup. I hear now that the AWB has sunset the bayonettings are on the rise again.

Back