• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keep or Sell?

not that you need any more advise but all i can say is while your actions are commendable if the shoe were on the other foot IE: they gave you the car, im sure they would have taken it back for the lack of appreciation and responsiblity that has been shown towards the gift you have provided some people are givers and some are takers thats the way it is . in your heart you know what you must do the longer you wait the harder and more costly it will become. you will obviously make it in this world and props to you for all your hard work, let us know when you run for president cause you got my vote... ken

cheers to all of the above. ive been in the same boat man, and were not all that different...im 19 and putting myself through firefighting school...its tough when you have to see-saw with the fact that you feel you owe your family something, but also need to look out for your self. my biggest lesson: if you dont take care of yourself, no one else will. not that you need any more advice in that area...i think you've got enough sense in you to already know what everyone else is telling you.

my take on the car:
1) XJs are easy (relatively) to repair
2) parts are everywhere (junkyards are full of em)
3) you wont get good trade in value for it, b/c nobody else will see as much value/use in the car as you do
4) you know whats wrong with it...which, even for people without any financial barriers, is half the battle

cheers, Ed

No offense bro, but your parents (specifically your father) sounds like a big messy and smelly pile of douche.

You say you've been independent since you were 16......well you should have kept your parent's independent now by having to find their own vehicle.

Being nice usually gets you screwed....But I take my hat off to you for doing so.

EDIT - The MAXIMUM they should be going is 6k for oil changes.........eeek! Plus on an older motor.......maybe 4k to 5k!!

Last edited:
CJ's98XJ said:
I feel for ya dude. Send me a list of parts you need. I have some stuff stashed away. maybe it will help.

X2 I have some extra stuff laying around here to let us know if you need anything. I will help if I can.

mcnamaag said:
X2 I have some extra stuff laying around here to let us know if you need anything. I will help if I can.

I appreciate it. I have plenty of parts...I have some on hand from repairs I had planned on making. The rear main in particular. The engine and transmission seem to me to be in pretty good condition, except for leaks, and those are really just hoses it looks like.

There are a few damaged interior pieces, but they really aren't a big deal to me. Just a few small things, and I can probably just head to a junkyard to get some replacements.

Let me know. Hang in there.

an interior does nothing except get you laid...

that being said, its a jeep, which cancels getting tail immediately :D

If you've got the parts.. Save that XJ. Do a few oil changes in short succession, lube up the joints and save it. You'll thank yourself when you'll still have it, going strong well psat 300 thou miles.

firefight343 said:
my take on the car:
1) XJs are easy (relatively) to repair
2) parts are everywhere (junkyards are full of em)
3) you wont get good trade in value for it, b/c nobody else will see as much value/use in the car as you do
4) you know whats wrong with it...which, even for people without any financial barriers, is half the battle

cheers, Ed

Ditto on #4, knowing whats wrong with it, that can be 90% of the repair bill at a garage or dealership, just tracking down those darn gremlins. Most people put no value on knowing a car history, good or bad. To me that knowledge is priceless!

ComancheColt said:
an interior does nothing except get you laid...

that being said, its a jeep, which cancels getting tail immediately :D

If you've got the parts.. Save that XJ. Do a few oil changes in short succession, lube up the joints and save it. You'll thank yourself when you'll still have it, going strong well psat 300 thou miles.

Also headliners are easy to change, and plenty of good ones in junk yard from newer jeeps including the plastic parts you said got waisted.

The interior parts you can get at the junk yard. Headliner material can be bought at Autozone (not that expensive) & if pulling the headliner out you have to pull all the top mouldings off, then there are 2 heavy velcro holders at the front. If you rip these off just glue them back on with silicone. The door hinge can be welded back on if you pull the front fender yourself (I have a bodyshop that said he would weld mine & reinforce it for 100.00 if I pulled the fender). If you have a local trans shop (not one of the big name shops) that is reputable have a trans service including adjusting the bands done. If you have friends that do welding or trans work (if you aren't comfortable with it) that is a plus as you could barter something for the services. I wouldn't get rid of it at this point if I were you, as long as you can do some of the work yourself & it doesn't have a major costly problem. the electrical problem sounds like a loose or dirt connection. Clean the battery terminals, if you have replacement ends pull them off the wire & clean the wire & terminal (I had one of these that looked great but when I pulled it apart it was corroded onder the strap). Clean & tighten the cable connection on the starter solenoid (under the plastic cover on passenger inner fender) this is usually where the power is dispersed to the vehicle. Check any fusible links for a slight burn that can cause an intermittent open. Check for loose fuses.

Personally I have a 1987 XJ pioneer I got with 160000 mi, has 235000 on it now, is driven 130 miles daily. Rear main has leaked 1 quart a week since i got it & I run the Walmart brand 10W40 oil in it (fairly cheap but seams to do OK) just run a good filter on it.

Good luck with the car & your family, don't let your dad discourage you. It may be old but it's what you got.

Last edited:
alfman said:
The interior parts you can get at the junk yard. Headliner material can be bought at Autozone (not that expensive) & if pulling the headliner out you have to pull all the top mouldings off, then there are 2 heavy velcro holders at the front. If you rip these off just glue them back on with silicone. The door hinge can be welded back on if you pull the front fender yourself (I have a bodyshop that said he would weld mine & reinforce it for 100.00 if I pulled the fender). If you have a local trans shop (not one of the big name shops) that is reputable have a trans service including adjusting the bands done. If you have friends that do welding or trans work (if you aren't comfortable with it) that is a plus as you could barter something for the services. I wouldn't get rid of it at this point if I were you, as long as you can do some of the work yourself & it doesn't have a major costly problem. the electrical problem sounds like a loose or dirt connection. Clean the battery terminals, if you have replacement ends pull them off the wire & clean the wire & terminal (I had one of these that looked great but when I pulled it apart it was corroded onder the strap). Clean & tighten the cable connection on the starter solenoid (under the plastic cover on passenger inner fender) this is usually where the power is dispersed to the vehicle. Check any fusible links for a slight burn that can cause an intermittent open. Check for loose fuses.

Personally I have a 1987 XJ pioneer I got with 160000 mi, has 235000 on it now, is driven 130 miles daily. Rear main has leaked 1 quart a week since i got it & I run the Walmart brand 10W40 oil in it (fairly cheap but seams to do OK) just run a good filter on it.

Good luck with the car & your family, don't let your dad discourage you. It may be old but it's what you got.

Jessh, 1 quart a week, but at 130 miles per day (130 * 7= 920 miles) not really that bad. Wow, my favorite hang out Autozone, but never knew they had headliners!

On the AW4, I read recently somehwere in an FSM on the AW4 that there is no band adjustment on it. Just change the fluid, filter and drive it I say.

I was looking at a reallllly nice 89 Wagoneer earlier this week at a used stealership (they were asking 2,500 for it with 165,000 miles, it needed a headliner too). Anyway, it had the upper hinge rewelded to the frame on the drivers door. They did a great job, I would have missed it if was not looking it over carefully.

I noticed afterwards looking at my XJ's that seems to be a spot that rusts early and seems to be bare of paint and primer on many XJ's.

After looking at mine and the welded one I am planning to do some coating work on mine before the hinge on it rusts off!

Ecomike said:
Jessh, 1 quart a week, but at 130 miles per day (130 * 7= 920 miles) not really that bad. Wow, my favorite hang out Autozone, but never knew they had headliners!

On the AW4, I read recently somehwere in an FSM on the AW4 that there is no band adjustment on it. Just change the fluid, filter and drive it I say.

I was looking at a reallllly nice 89 Wagoneer earlier this week at a used stealership (they were asking 2,500 for it with 165,000 miles, it needed a headliner too). Anyway, it had the upper hinge rewelded to the frame on the drivers door. They did a great job, I would have missed it if was not looking it over carefully.

I noticed afterwards looking at my XJ's that seems to be a spot that rusts early and seems to be bare of paint and primer on many XJ's.

After looking at mine and the welded one I am planning to do some coating work on mine before the hinge on it rusts off!

Autozone has the fabric replacement kits, but I don't remember if it is only the material or if it includes the cement. You pull the headliner out & scrape off the old foam from the old material. Lay the new material out on the headliner, fold half back spray with headliner contact cement, lay back over carfully then do the other half.If really on a budget just do like I did, custom staple tufting, staple guns are great.

The hinge area is common, try to make sure you have the door stay in place so door doesn't over extend. Also don't use the door to help you get in & out as that puts stress on upper hinge (like I did, second time I'm having it welded).

As for the oil it's actually ( 130 X 5 = 650 ) still not to bad in my book. With 235000 on the clock I can't complain & eventually either the seal will be replace or the engine. I'd like to see if I can get 350000 to400000.

Thanks on the FSM trans info, I don't have access to my manual as someone liked it more than me. I would also agree with change the fluid & filter & run it till it drops. You can find a used trans in the junk yard fairly inexpensive

Last edited:
About all I have to add is to point out to your father that if the jeep dies due to lack of maintance you will not be able to afford to fix it and He will not have anything to drive. I understand that your trying to help out your family but what your doing is enabling bad behavior, I dont have any problems with my family but my inlaws are another story. I was selling my XJ to my BIL for low low monthly payments with the understanding that he take care of it and I had first dibs to buy it back if he decided to sell it. Long story short, He tore the sh*t out of it and I've spent about 30 man hours and $500 to get it back in reliable condition. I've been married for 11 years and EVERY time I get finanlially involved with her family we loose $. after this last time I've decided NO MORE. NO LOANS, NO NOTHING. When times arise that they really need help I make my wife GIVE them the money with no expectation of repayment, this takes all the stress out of the situation. Plus it harder for her to give the money than tricking herself into believeing that, THIS TIME THEY WILL PAY US BACK! I suggest that you give the jeep to your father but not in a way that he can sell it or trade it in( he is going to distroy it anyway and the family wont have a car anyway) Then you no longer have to worry about it. Save a little when you can and buy another who the hell wants a 2wd cherokee anyhoo.

Im sorry to say that this is sad story for all three parties...Son...family and the poor Jeep! Just my opinion...Take back the Jeep and keep it forever...Itll be a constant reminder of what you came from, and source of pride for you knowing that you were able to overcome the "odds" and become a decent and productive person. Besides Jeeps are cool!

BTW stay in school and finish!!! Good Luck

I'd say keep the Jeep as well. You know what it needs and how to get it done. Getting a new vehicle will only appease your father and he'll just run it into the ground as well. Just make sure you can take the Jeep with you back to school. Until you put your foot down your father will keep taking advantage.

I know you're trying to look out for your brothers and sisters, but unfortunately there's not much you will be able to do until you're in a better place. Plus if the vehicle dies, which it will if it keeps getting abused, then the tension level will get ratcheted up all around. Not saying it won't if you take the Jeep with you, but then at least you're covered. Right now you need to take care of you. I know that sounds selfish, but it's no more selfish than what your parents are doing to you. You are trying to change yourself for the better, there's probably some resentment about what you're trying to accomplish which is probably adding to the vehicle neglect. Make sure you are covered, you know how to do that from the sounds of it.

I can't say my early life situation was exactly like yours, but it was similar. I went the military route first, then went to college on my own dime with GI Bill assistance. Just know that it will get better for you personally and that as it gets better for you, you can give back to your siblings. The best thing you can be is a good role model for your younger family members, hell for the older ones too!

Back