• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me spend my money. Exhaust replacement.

I ordered a pacesetter header, magniflow cat, and dynomax catback.

We'll see how everything goes together. I probably won't be installing for a couple weeks, hopefully the header shows up quick so I can strip and repaint, or get it coated next week.

MisterFubar said:
I guess it's not the splice that really bothers me, its the reusing of my buggered up O2 connecters. If I can source a couple of the O2 side connecters on the cheap/free, I will do that.

What about SNG O2 sensors? I'm finding universals online for about 30 a pop, and direct fits for about 35. I like saving money, but I rate replacing defective parts.

Where the heck are you find DIRECT fits for $35? New?

wacho4 said:
I have the muffler from 4wheel drive hardware's stainless catback ( http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?pid=5522060 ). I bought it for my 99, then a friend had a stainless flowmaster 40 delta flow he wasn't going to use, so I used that. I found out later that this one has a similar design anyway. Traded it for a set of tires, but now he is not going to use it. So now I'm helping him sell it.

-$38 shipped- pics here - http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/wacho4/

This isnt a For Sale Thread.

I went with APN header $145.70 to my door

This cat 74.81 shipped

and this muffler for 119.00 delivered.

Another $225.00 for weld in install and tightly tucked 2.5 pipe out the back.

Sounds great, runs smoother. I'll need to run a few tanks to see how mileage is. Just need to get over flooring it just to hear it run.

the word cat is a hyper link

Last edited:
I like the dynomax on my 99'. not to loud. I didn't go with the stainless because when it gets dented up again i can just throw another dynomax on.

On my old 87 4.0 I had a catco cat and dynomax catback. Cost me $200 from summit at the time. It sounded great but was a tad bit loud as the 87-92exhaust is a 2.5" outlet and tailpipe on the dynomax system.

For my current 92 I just purchased a magnaflow cat and a dynomax catback from summit. It was $230 but you get $50 summit gift bucks with the catback. I purchased the catback for 93-01 xj's this time. The tailpipe is 2.25" instead of 2.5", should sound good but not too loud. The mufflers for 87-92 and 93-01 in the dynomax kit are the same dimensions except for inlet/outlet size. So that will line up fine. Hopefully the tailpipe hangar matches up with the current spot on mine. I'll know tonite when I go to install it.

selarep said:
This isnt a For Sale Thread.
No but he is asking a question, I am giving him another option, and telling him what I used as well.
Sorry if that offended you.
Also, I meant to add that I am using a universal 2.5" Random cat. Haven't got it all together but, guy I know used almost the same setup on a 4.0 TJ, It sounded agressive but not real loud.

Last edited:
Installed the magnaflow cat and dynomax catback on my 92 last night. Cat fit perfect as its a direct fit cat. Dynomax went on almost perfect. THe exhaust is for a 93-00 and mines a 92. I needed to extend the tailpipe to meet the outlet on the muffler. It only goes into the muffler about an inch and it wouldn't seal with a u-bolt style clamp. I used a band clamp and it sealed and went together perfect.

Nice rumble at idle. No drone on the highway and sounds deeper through the rev range without loud.

Everything but the header is sitting in the garage ready to be installed now. The SNG o2 sensors LOOK like they are a high quality unit.

Should be a fun day on friday, the XJ is getting a completely new exhaust, a valve cover, a taurus fan, new hoses/t-stat/t-stat housing, fuel filter, tranny filter, all new fluid, hood vents, and I'm sure the intake and a few other parts will get some paint while they are out.

I might even go ahead and pick up all the control arm and track bar bushings, but I'm trying to put that off until I have the cabbage to lift regear and tire it. The bushings in there are TRASHED.

I finally got everything installed the other day, and she's been running great with the exception of an unrelated problem when it's hot.

My butt dyno feels a little more pickup and it sounds great, a nice rumble without being too loud. First trip out I got 21.2 mpg, where before I was getting about 14 on the same drive. I guess a bad o2 and a plugged cat really does make a difference.

I did have to clearance the front driveshaft yoke and do a little BFH massaging to the downpipe to keep it from hitting at full droop.

Back