• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header for a 87-90 XJ 4.0L

I have the borla header and downpipe on my '90 MJ.

Borla doesn't specifically list a header/downpipe for an '90 xj/mj with an automatic. (if you have an auto) I have a cheesy 1" tranny drop in place and I had to get a slight 'tweak' to the downpipe to get it to match up to the exhaust mount flange down by the catalytic. I'll be replacing the stock crossmember fairly soon with one with an integrated drop. The downpipe runs close to the transcooler lines on the auto as well but I don't think it's a big problem.

Matthew

Thanks for the Replys looks like I'll be getting borla (my buddy bought a pacesetter today) too bad it'll rust out in a few months Md loves to lay down 4in of salt for ever 1/2in of snow

I have the borla front-to-back setup minus cat (hiflo cat added) and mine is an 88 renix with aw4. I'd advise against it. I can send pictures later if you need... but basically I kept flexing my front ds ujoint into the header and having to weld the holes that made closed again. I've probably found more torque... because I'm certain that I have increased backpressure. I'm joking about that part. But basically the dent inwards from all the contact definately has restricted things more. They weren't joking about automatics having clearance issues.

Pace Setter and Clifford makes headers for Renix motors. With the Cliffords you will need to drill out the bung or boss for the EGR tube. The bung or boss is already welded on, you just have to drill the through hole. Cliffords don't come with a down pipe. There is a person on E-Bay who makes a down pipe for the Clifford header set, Artsounds. The Pace Setter set is generally condsidered a low cost and quality header. I had a set what was ceramic coated for about 3 years. It held up OK. That set is going onto someone elses Cherokee. The painted ones are suppose to rust up fairly quickly as most painted headers do.
Tom

saltilloxj said:
Has anyone wraped the header with a heat shield type stuff? Will this prevent rusting?
Yes, NO. I wrapped mine with the fiberglass tape. It does work to reduce underhood tempertures. It actually increased the rate of the headers rusting. I have run ceramic coated headers. No rusting and the underhood temps are simular to wrapped headers. They look good to. Not as shiny as chrome, but more like a polished aluminum.
Tom

Pace setter used to be $300. So was the Clifford, but they now charge for the ceramic coating, $75 which is cheap. The down side is that you'd need to make a down pipe for the Clifford set. There is a guy on e-bay who goes by the name of Artsounds around Miami FL. Look for bored throttle bodies. He use to make a complete setup for Clifford headers. I think $426 for the ceramic coated ones. The Cliffords are a dark grey, that looks good.
Tom

I do the hotcoat ceramic on my exhausts and it works great. I ordered my Clifford plain and they shipped it ceramic coated. Three years now and not a spec of rust.

I secong the durability on the ceramic coatings. I had a set jet coated 10 years ago and no rust. The Pace Setters do come with a down pipe. It is attached with muffler clamps. The ceramic coating is OK. I had mine about 3 years and there was some rust were there was corners on the part. It wasn't much to complain about though. I sold them. The down pipe was ceramic coated, but the coating didn't last very long. I had my 2000 intake manifold ceramic coated. They guy quoted me a price of $175 for a set of headers.
Tom

Since I have the powdercoat equipment and buy the hotcoat powder, I am going to ceramic coat my exhaust system at least back to the CAT,

I did a pacesetter..
My jeep did'nt justify the big buck headers. More than I paid for the jeep.
It flows well, and do noitce the differance. I have pics under my name.
You do have to make up or cut andc extend your erg tube with the pacsetter, the bung is in place.

Back