• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goatfest?

I think/hope he was joking. Beside it would likely get him kicked out of, and banned from NAXJA.

I just drug two burned out cars to the highway two weeks ago. Coming from South Georgia and spending 11 years off and on in the desert I have seen far to many vehicles left for dead. Yes you we're joking about leaving it out there. None of us would ever let that happen. After spending my cash to save the Hammers and Tellico just to see them be lost to politics, I do not respond well to joking about damaging our image as responsible off roaders.

Just to be clear. I've been wheeling seriously for the better part of 50 years. My Wife works for a California environmental agency. And no, we are not bleeding heart liberals but have a very healthy respect for the environment and the places we wheel. We have probably collected more trash out in the Desert than most people will in a lifetime.

I honestly thought there were thicker skins here but I forgot that this is NAXJA and not SoCalXJ!

dub

Honeymoon is the week before but planning on showing up with the buggy if I'm back on time.

Forgive me but I'm a newbie NAXJA member- what is Goatfest and can my son and I come out? My XJ has 6" lift TNT long arm RE leafs in rear Detroits front n back geared 4.88. I have some crawling experience and we like to camp n drink beer (after)

Goatfest started as just a birthday party for Goatman. It has since become an annual event. We do exactly what you said. Play during the day and party at night. It's a good time. Come on out to JV and meet us

Goatfest started as just a birthday party for Goatman. It has since become an annual event. We do exactly what you said. Play during the day and party at night. It's a good time. Come on out to JV and meet us
"come out to johnson valley boone rd. exit on hwy247"
Ive raced thru JV when I was D-37 member never wheeled there but we will be there. Pretty sure my truck/ flatbed will make it in with the XJ. Bring firewood- right?

(Hoping my punctuation is correct)

Yep, the road is wide and graded. I am taking my travel trailer. Yes firewood is also a good thing. Please, no pallets or wood with nails in it.

I'm pretty sure it actually started as a fund raiser for Friends of Panamint Valley to fund the legal battle over surprise canyon, and then later was used as a fund raiser for FOJV and the fight to keep the hammers.

After those fights had settled, and the permit process for organized events got messier, it 'stopped happening' and we just keep showing up and wheeling together on that weekend.

I also think this may be the 15th annual Goatfest.

I thought it started as the Rockin XJ Jamboree and mutated to Goatman's birth party? Hell, it doesn't matter. Let's go wheelin!

eh, that could be the case
either way, i'll see you guys next thursday.

First shirt I got said 3rd annual rockin xj jamboree....and that was at least 10 years ago...probably 12 ;)

First shirt I got said 3rd annual rockin xj jamboree....and that was at least 10 years ago...probably 12 ;)
I still have one or two of those shirts. I'll have to check but I think it was the next year (4th) that it was spelled Panmint Valley.

I had the shirt. I donated it to a lady making a quilt for charity

It will be great to have so many like minded people in one place.....hopefully the sore loosing liberals won't start a riot there. :patriot:

Last edited:
I thought it started as the Rockin XJ Jamboree and mutated to Goatman's birth party? Hell, it doesn't matter. Let's go wheelin!

The previously XJ-Driving buggy crowd had been doing a JV trip the weekend before Thanksgiving for years. It was just a group of friends, the kinds of guys who were nuts for putting gigantic thirty-three inch tires on the station wagons then taking them on trails like Sledgehammer.

Richard decided to make a real event out of it and open the invitation to NAXJA. Hello Rockin' XJ Jamboree (name based on Big Bird's license plate). In maybe its second year the name "Goatfest" was coined, never the official name of the event (ack when the event was official, that is).

The event has been its own private enterprise in some years and an official NAXJA event in others. As Cal said it is no longer a "real" event as the headache outweighs the fun at this point.

One day I'll make it out there again.

Back