• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GM halts production on the Chevy Volt

A friend of mine from california tells me that a lot of first gen Prius owners sell theirs for super cheap when they buy their new Prius 4S.

I bet alot aren't seeing the highway mileage they're supposed. I bet a lot are also driving them like race cars. At least that seems the case here in CA.

Around here, most hybrids in general seem to only be running on just their engines (ie dead batteries) and are in the way, or running as fast if not faster than traffic. I even had one blow by me in my XJ a couple weeks back and I had to be running at least posted limit myself:wierd: Since the Volt doesn't work like any other normal hybrid, that likely won't be a problem then and might be more effected by the the fickleness of the average American Idiot than anything else.

I like when people get all revved up hating on something pretty much unrelated. The Volt is selling well. That doesn't make it a bad car. It's actually a pretty decent car. The one I drove was comfortable, powerful enough to not be a dog, and for a lot of people would have the battery range to drive to work and back. That, and I find the concept that Obama is directly responsible for the Volt's existence to be highly suspect. A vehicle like that doesn't go from idea to reality in that short a period of time.

I'm all for hatin on Obama, but I prefer to have reasons that make sense.

I wish I could afford one. My commute is longer than the battery range by about 20 miles round trip, but there are chargers at work and home. Mary (rightseatsis) commutes in a Nissan Leaf and my Dad commented that car increased his energy bill by less than $1 per month. $1 per month sure beats my $600 gasoline bill.

There are plenty of reasons not to like President Obama and candidate Mitt Romney. The Chevy Volt is not one of them.

Agreed. I figure I could save at least $300/month in fuel, which would go a long way towards a car payment.

Update: My Dad has almost 10k on his and is averaging 167mpg. And yes, they drive it wherever they want. He drove his through the winter months as well.
They sent him a hard cover book describing the design and engineering team. Pretty interesting. The customer service he has received has been over the top.

I do a 45 mile each way commute 4 days a week. My old Ford Exploder with a 5.0L gets 20mpg and it is paid for. Even if the "gas" was totally free, it would take a long time to break even.

I do a 45 mile each way commute 4 days a week. My old Ford Exploder with a 5.0L gets 20mpg and it is paid for. Even if the "gas" was totally free, it would take a long time to break even.

But you are killing polar bears, clubbing baby seals, feeding hungry kids poison, burning down forests, wasting paper, and heating the planet driving that thing.

You are evil brother....pure EVIL!!!!

A new car in general doesn't make sense for everyone. But if I were in the market for a decent $30-40k car, a Volt would sit high on that list except for one flaw: I have three kids and the Volt is only a 4 seater.

Mary (rightseatsis) commutes in a Nissan Leaf and my Dad commented that car increased his energy bill by less than $1 per month.

I don't mean to call the man a liar, but there is just no way you can power an every-day commuter car for $1 a month. No way.

Robert

You might be able to if she does most of her charging at work or if there's chargers available at whatever stores she stops at. Might be very little charging happening at home.

But you are killing polar bears, clubbing baby seals, feeding hungry kids poison, burning down forests, wasting paper, and heating the planet driving that thing.

You are evil brother....pure EVIL!!!!
Sounds about right. The baby seals have more tender meat and they make nice coats. If my wifes cooking hasn't killed the kids they are pretty much safe. I like a good bonfire and I'm getting old and the cold bothers my bones.

You might be able to if she does most of her charging at work or if there's chargers available at whatever stores she stops at. Might be very little charging happening at home.

By that argument, I could drive my XJ for a buck a month, too, if I steal gas from work...

Robert

I don't mean to call the man a liar, but there is just no way you can power an every-day commuter car for $1 a month. No way.

Robert

Well you are. :nono: but I'm not upset by it.

Rightseatsis is out camping this week, when she gets back I'll have her tell the story. As Darky pointed out Mary uses charging stations all over the SF bay area not just at her home. Her commute is <5 miles each way. It also helps that San Francisco has some of the lowest electricty rates in the nation. The county owns its own dam and power plant.

By that argument, I could drive my XJ for a buck a month, too, if I steal gas from work...

Robert
Except for the part about stealing the gas. It's not quite stealing when the company provides the charger for electric vehicles like many larger employers do. It's not like you can just grab an extension cord or something...
Okay, I'll concede that this could techinally be true:

...if you'll agree that someone else is paying for the difference...

Robert
Which is exactly what he said...
As for who is paying for the difference, that would be the employer and the companies providing the charger.

...but what I said is also true, that he is NOT charging and operating an electric car for a buck a month. It does cost more than that. It's just not costing HIM more than that.

Implying that an electric car runs for free is ridiculous.

(A lot like claiming that it's "zero-emission," but that's another can of worms...)

Robert

Back