• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting back into an XJ

bigdodgeram00

NAXJA Forum User
Well hopefully tomorrow I will be trading my 98 5.9L ZJ for this xj.

My 98 5.9L

012.jpg

My plans

Bushwacker flate fenders
snorkel
fixing the small little things wrong with it.

xj3.jpg

xj2.jpg

xj1.jpg

I've missed owning an XJ so when this trade came up, I had to respond to it. More pictures to come. Fingers crossed for tomorrow

They're in Illinois.... everything is gonna be rusty.

I'll bet that ZJ is rusty as well.... just lots of plastic body trim hiding it. I think I can see one spot of cancer above the pass. front headlight on the hood.....

Lots of factors could play into value with this trade - high miles on the ZJ/Low miles on the XJ, ZJ interiors didn't hold up well and maybe the XJ has a nice interior, etc.....

Having owned a '98 5.9 ZJ...... I prefer the XJ. The power of the 5.9 is fun for a little while..... until ya gotta keep feeding it. And the ZJ seats suck. Uncomfortable, low back garbage.

Before you make the trade, be sure to check on that rear axle and what's holding it to the leaf springs....... that profile pic sure makes it look like the axle is back a little far like it may have slipped off the center pin......

It is a bit rusty yes, but nothing a good can of rhino line cant fix. I have plans to to fix the fenders and add the bushwacker flat fenders. Tire will be replaced with some General Grabber AT2s. This will be my daily driver since I already have a ZJ as a trail rig.

The 9'er was fun but got boring because I didnt knwo what direction I wanted to take it.

More pictures to follow.

Also how can one get some NAXJA stickers?

So I figured that since this is my daily driver, I am going to drop the whole snorkel and invest in a rugged ridge air intake, a IRO throttle body spacer and their 2.5 inch cat back exhaust with high flow cat.

Planning on ordering a new cd player for it and of course the bushwacker flat fenders.

pictures will follow.

I don't know how the east/northeast folks even enjoy 'wrenchin with all that fawkin' rust. My brain hurts and my anger level goes up even thinking of having to work on an XJ like that.

Props to you guys for staying enthusiastic when having to deal with that kind of rust. :thumbup:

I don't know how the east/northeast folks even enjoy 'wrenchin with all that fawkin' rust. My brain hurts and my anger level goes up even thinking of having to work on an XJ like that.

Props to you guys for staying enthusiastic when having to deal with that kind of rust. :thumbup:
Easy, we don't know what it is like to work on a car without rust, we don't know what we are missing :D

Sometimes it makes it easier to remove things when nuts are frozen on and the bolts just snap :D Extra points when its freezing outside and you smash your hand/fingers into something after the bolt breaks! (Ya, it has happened, many times)

Easy, we don't know what it is like to work on a car without rust, we don't know what we are missing :D
I put a trailer hitch on my dad's '01 from Cali earlier this year. The bolts for both the bumper and the nutserts came out fine, and it took about 1/2 hr start to finish. I promptly told him how much I hated him after that, and it would have taken 3 times as long on mine.

Honestly the whole rust thing. I have learned to deal with it. I live in Illinois, where when its winter out, the plow trucks dump a ton of salt on the roads. It sucks but I just deal with it. Thank god the floor boards are good and the only thing that is rusty are the rockers but we know what that means, BOATSIDES!!!, yes boatsides on a daily driver :)

Oh and here is a picture of my old XJ. I missed it, thats why I had to get into another XJ :)

Offroadingpictures095.jpg

Installed the rear bushwacker flat fenders. Love the look. Tomorrow, finishing up the fronts.

Back