• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GDI 3 Core radiator

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I guess a 3 core radiator is a mod? I purchased a 3 core GDI from Radiators.com about 3 years ago and it failed the other day. (Big surprise.) Anyway I e-mailed Radiators.com and they said that they only warranty GDI radiators for one year. I talked to the local Kragen and they said that all GDI's carry a lifetime warranty. If the latter is true, where would I get it warranted? The second question is, should I even worry about it? Should I just shut up and buy a quality 3 core? And if I choose the shut up option, are there any suggestions on a quality 3 core? I have never had an overheating problem and I don't want to start now. And yes, I still run a closed system. I keep it very well maintained and replace any suspect components immediately. I guess I should have suspected the GDI from day one. I understand having to replace hoses, belts and such frequently but I think that a radiator should last a little longer.

Thanks,
Neil

On my 88 MJ I switched to an open system and bought a GDI 3 core from Radiator.com also. Well first one I get - the filler neck leaks, so I call up and get another one and send the old one back. Put new 3 core GDI in and it works ok but not like I expected. Went wheelin last Nov and put my fan through my radiator so I decided to go with a Modine 2 core just to see if it made any difference. I also removed my A/C condenser from in front of my radiator and looking back now, I think thats made the biggest difference in cooling. My temps with the GDI would be between 210 and 230 with all new cooling parts - belts, pump, hoses, thermostat(stock). With the Modine and the condenser removed( changed the A/c to onboard air) my temps never get above 210.

So my recomendation is get a Modine and make sure you have good flow over the radiator.

Interestingly enough, my 2 year old GDI 3-core crapped out on me this last week.

Being short on cash, I pulled it and took it to a radiator shop. $65 bucks later, Im putting it back in hoping it will make it another year... then its time for a quality unit.

i hate gdi

-jm

More than likely radiators.com will warenty it for a year and GDI would give the lifetime. Which means contacting Go Dan Industries and asking about getting a new one.

I have ran the 3 core GDI for about 3yrs now and even in the TX heat, I only run 215-220 on slow, thicket filled trails. On the highway she runs at 190-200* and in city she hits 205-210*. I run a mech temp gauge off the Tstat housing and my stock gauge works as well.

These temps are after a new clutch fan was installed, the GDI rad, a new Tstat, and some cheesy .5" hood spacer were installed.

balloo93 said:
More than likely radiators.com will warenty it for a year and GDI would give the lifetime. Which means contacting Go Dan Industries and asking about getting a new one.

Thank you I had no idea what the name of the company was. I searched GDI and found no home page, only retailers. I will try searching Go Dan Industries.

Thank you.
Neil

GDI was bought out last year. Radiator.com does not have any with the GDI name anymore. I forget the name of the company that bought them out. I bought one (a 3 core for an auto) from radiator.com a few months ago and it arrived looking like a poorly rebuilt used unit. It had rust on it and a very poor paint job. They were good about replacing it though and the replacement was sent quickly. Overall I am satisfied so far with the radiator itself.

jeeperjohn said:
GDI was bought out last year. Radiator.com does not have any with the GDI name anymore. I forget the name of the company that bought them out. I bought one (a 3 core for an auto) from radiator.com a few months ago and it arrived looking like a poorly rebuilt used unit. It had rust on it and a very poor paint job. They were good about replacing it though and the replacement was sent quickly. Overall I am satisfied so far with the radiator itself.

my local autoparts store says that "Transpro" has bought out everybody else...anyway I guess i'm in the same boat as a few of you, as my 2 yr old GDI leaks everywhere (very poorly constructed) even JB weld couldn't save it!!
I guess I'm going to try one of the CSFs from DPGoffroad.com

i've had a csf for two or more years now. it works great as long as you never require heat.

HTeK said:
huh? how would using the heater degrade the performance of your radiator?

-jm
My guess is its NOT degrading the performance of the radiator, he's talking about getting heat from the heater. ;)

the_chief said:
i've had a csf for two or more years now. it works great as long as you never require heat.
I have a 3 core from NAPA. (Power Flow?)
Runs between 185 and 215 deg all the time.
I can DAMN NEAR bake a turkey in my 91 with the heat set on high.

drifto77 said:
I have a 3 core from NAPA. (Power Flow?)
Runs between 185 and 215 deg all the time.
I can DAMN NEAR bake a turkey in my 91 with the heat set on high.

I used to have the NAPA rad. It did very well until the motor jumped forward and the fan spun a nice little hole in the radiator. (bad motor mount)

I guess Im in the minority. My GDI is about 6 or 7 years old and no problems yet. It arrived from Radiators.com in good condition and the quality seemed fine, not top notch but better than stock. I wonder if they changed manufacturers in the past couple of years or something.
If I have to replace this GDI, it will probably be with a CSF. I put one of those in my wifes TJ and its seemed to be a good unit.

Neil said:
I used to have the NAPA rad. It did very well until the motor jumped forward and the fan spun a nice little hole in the radiator. (bad motor mount)

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Not more that 2 months after I put the 1st radiator in. I stalled it once or twice, violently, after I got my new clutch in, so I think that's when it happened.

Modine 2 core, the core area is the same as a 3 core, but the tubes are larger, so they don't clog as easily.

I went the 3 core route before, and was not impressed. I now have a single row wide core aluminum from custom radiators and it wroks great. With stroker motor pulling grades with trailer, passengers, tools, a/c on, big trans cooler and winch in front of it. I got to 220 once. It normally stays just under 210 all the time.
I think it is 1.5 inch think looks like smashed down tube into and oval. The only draw back is it still uses plastic tanks, but so far this has not been a problem.

CRASH said:
Modine 2 core, the core area is the same as a 3 core, but the tubes are larger, so they don't clog as easily.

I have heard that before. I was looking at the physical dimensions originally and it was a little deceiving. The 3 core is physically thicker. However, if you do the math, the difference in thickness is the space that the extra tubing takes up on the 3 core. I'm sure the people could debate this until the end of time. In my personal experience, I did not have the NAPA 2 core long enough to really speak on it. I only had it for about a year. I did not notice any dramatic drop in temperature when I went to the 3 core. I live near Fresno CA. where temps in the summer typically reach 110*. I also use my A/C in stop and go traffic and while wheeling. When it is that hot my coolant temps. are usually around 210* to 215*. In the cooler months it sticks on 190* all the time no matter what. I am thinking about purchasing a radiator locally with a lifetime warranty. That way when it goes belly up I can take it out and walk into the store and throw it on the counter and leave with a new one, instead of hunting down the manufacturer, shipping it out and waiting for a new one to return. My Jeep is somewhat of a daily driver, my Lexus never stays running long enough to call my daily driver. I just have never had as many cooling system problems with a vehicle as I do with my Jeep. But then again, I really never have beat a vehicle as hard as I do my Jeep.

Neil

drifto77 said:
My guess is its NOT degrading the performance of the radiator, he's talking about getting heat from the heater. ;)

QUOTE]

ding ding, even with a 1/8" aluminium plate covering the factory grill area, i get moderate but livable heat.

ps, my gdi burst wide open doing 90 up I-70, not a happy moment, coolant everywhere.

Back