• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing my entire cooling system

Xjin85

NAXJA Forum User
So I am going to flush and replace my entire cooling system as I had some issues with the xj overheating last summer. Ordered all the parts and this is what I have so far.

Radiator Flush Kit:
-Prestone AF-KIT Flush 'N Fill Kit
-CRC Thermocure Coolant System Rust Remover

Radiator: Spectra Premium CU1193
-5/8 Silicone hoses
-3/4 Silicone Hoses
-SS Embossed Hose Clamps

Intercooler
Hayden 405 Ultra-Cool
Barbed Fittings

Water Pump[/B

-GMB 110-1080P High-Performance Series Water Pump with Gasket
-Dorman 56398 Engine Water Pump Inlet Tube

Thermostat
-Superstat Premium Thermostat -195 degrees
-FEL-PRO 35630 Thermostat Gasket
(Should I also replace the T stat housing?)

I will not be doing the heater core or A/C condenser until a later time due to time constraints and money.

I have never done this before and just want to make sure I have everything I need to get the job done. or am I missing any parts?

Unfortunately, My xj Project has been on hold bc my mom has been having some health problems. Hopefully, I will get her lifted with the new tires next month.

Thanks, guys for the help,
-D

You didn't say what year, but there are better pumps! I would definitely buy a ported t-stat housing if you can't do it yourself.

You didn't say what year, but there are better pumps! I would definitely buy a ported t-stat housing if you can't do it yourself.

My bad it’s a 2001.

So just as finished this post I took a half hour drive and all of a sudden my temp gauge is maxed out. Luckily I was a mile away from home. Sure enough the rad was buzzing, coolant as boiling and leaked everywhere. I doubt I have much of the existing fluid left. To top it off my the drivers side latch of the hood wouldn’t pop even if I crawled underneath and pulled the cord to the latches. Fml! :smsoap::smsoap::smsoap:

I would definitely do some testing before doing any further work. Start by pressure checking the cap and the system.

Yeah, I would also try to figure out why it overheated before ripping out the existing cooling system.

If the motor is still ok, here are a few thoughts:

- Silicone hoses are usually significantly more expensive than rubber hose.
Regular rubber hoses from Gates work just fine and will last 20 years.

- You didn't mention whether you are planning to replace the heater hoses. I would.

- Tube-and-fin transmission coolers are typically considered to be less efficient than stacked plate or plate-and-fin coolers.

- I would replace the fan clutch if it wasn't already recently replaced.

- This would be a good time to replace the timing chain. The cooling system pretty much has to come out to do it, so this is a good time to do it, and a lot of people think that the tendency for an XJ to run hot is partially due to a worn timing chain affecting cam timing.

Thanks, guys for your input!

Honestly, I am just hoping for the best. I took out the radiator and now taking out the PS pump to replace bc that just failed also.

I am also replacing both the return hose and the high-pressure hose on the ends snapped off. I have been trying for hours to get it off and I can't get it to looses UP FML

any suggestions?

***the end of the return hose snapped as I was trying to lose it to take it off and the other end to high-pressure hose is ben and about to snap also. I have been trying for hours to get it off and have been soaking it in PB. Any suggestions on how to get the snapped end and the other end off? It's very badly rusted..

Lack of maintenance is most likely the cause of the symptoms you've been experiencing and will make the actual diagnosis even harder!

***the end of the return hose snapped as I was trying to lose it to take it off and the other end to high-pressure hose is ben and about to snap also. I have been trying for hours to get it off and have been soaking it in PB. Any suggestions on how to get the snapped end and the other end off? It's very badly rusted..

I usually take a utility knife and slice them off.

Lack of maintenance is most likely the cause of the symptoms you've been experiencing and will make the actual diagnosis even harder!

This is very true! I bought the Jeep a little over a year ago and have been slowly trying to replace everything. The New England winters don't make it any easier either. Jammed my hands up really good today trying to get these things PS hoses off.

I got the return line hose off after blasting it with PB and the map torch but the high-pressure hose fitting is still stuck on the steering box good! Cut the line with a Dremel and decided to soak it with PB overnight and try again tomorrow morning.

Took the T-state housing and start out and was getting to removing the mech fan to get to the water pump to take off but was running out of daylight.

tomorrow I'm hoping to get everything off and start putting all the new components on including the radiator, PS Pump, T-state and that housing. Will update with photos soon.

2 Questions:

-What fitting do I need to get for a step down from 1/2 to 3/4 to connect the WJ PS reservoir to the XJ's existing hose?

-Can I was out the cavity where the thermostat goes out with tap water? There is a bit of debris in there and I would like to flush it out if possible.

-I ordered a Stant superstar from Amazon and got ripped off and got a motorrad like a lot of folks. Anyways, i am going to drill a 1/16 hole at the top of the stat and cant figure out wich side is up. Its got 3 prongs in the front as supposed to 2 and doesn't specify whats up or down. How can I tell? Looks like a Mercedes symbol...

So, I got EVERYTHING OFF!

Water Pump, Tstat housing, T-stat, fans, PS pump, Rad and all hoses.

Both the return line and pressure line got messed up and were crushed so I just dremmeled them off in hopes they'd easy come off....MAAANNN! these things kicked my ass. After several applications of meat and PB they are off. Granted I have no power tools and doing all this the good old fashion way. lol. I woke up so swore and my back was killing me. I don't think I ever fell asleep so fast.

I got a 3/4 to 1/2 double barbed fitting from Loews for the PS pump.

Tomorrow I will be putting in all the new components:

*Rad w. new heater hoses+new upper and lower rad hoses+trans line cooler

*WJ PS pump (drilling out existing xj fitting to then swapping it in the new pump) + New return and pressure lines

*Water pump + T-stat+Tstat housing + Coolant temp sensor

Any and all advice would greatly be appreciated. This is my first time doing all of this and I could really use the help. I need to get her back on the road so I can go tow work. She is my DD.

I can't upload the pics I took for some reason..

Water pumps have a significant effect on cooling. The last time I overheated at 10k feet, it was because the flowcooler water pump I had for ten years had no vanes left. With the same cheap two row aluminum radiator, and a Hesco water pump and an 4.1l engine with a 11-1 compression ratio and more, on a heavy 90 on 35's at altitude, it rarely needs the auxiliary fan.

Was there anything wrong with the old water pump? Or did you find any reason for the overheating?

Honestly, all the cooling components were do for a replacement.

I managed to put on the T-stat, t-stat housing, and water pump today. I also flushed the engine block and heater core with my garden hose.

I was going to get started on the Power Steering Pump today and this happened. The PS pulley came off with the shaft in it and I can't get it off for the life of me. I was going to use the original PS pulley on the new pump. I rented and OEM PS pulley puller from AutoZone but it doesn't seem to hit and I can get any leverage to get it off. Any suggestions?

I guess I will replace the radiator tomorrow and the silicone hosing and then do the PS pump after.

On top of that I ordered a timing chain bc I was going to put it on first when everything was out but it still hasn't arrived. So the timing chain will have to be last. I hope I will have enough clearance to get it in easy. I took everything off the engine 4 days ago. Xj has been having really over heating issues lately. Now I am in a race of Time to get the jeep on the road before I lose my Job! It's my DD and the labor was too much and had to take it upon myself. No power tools just sachets and magiver skills. Praying I can get it on the road by tomorrow and do the Timing change later on in the near future. This whole ordeal has made me broke non the less.

For all the work involved in a timing chain you would be best served to do it now while the radiator is out !!!!!!

For all the work involved in a timing chain you would be best served to do it now while the radiator is out !!!!!!

I know you are right. I am going to wait. Man, if you guys saw my hands. I had blood all over the rackets and tools. I have no gloves I am so damn broke with having to order all this stuff. Just a few weeks before this all happened I bought new ZJ Ball joints, and tie rods and tie rod ends bc I was getting wicked bad death wabble around 55 MPH. Haven't gotten to the yet either.

RCP-I still have all the lift kit, Iron man adj. control arms, drop brackets, Blisten shocks, 44 flow master and 33 inch tires several months ago but haven't had a change to get up to my buddy's Dads garage bc he hasn't had time.

Man I wish this didn't all happen, I and so freaking stressed and stuck at home until I get this all situated.

Can you guys see the pics in the links I posted? Any idea how I can get the shaft off the PS pulley?

Back