• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford powerstrokes

Cummins FTW, But the duramax is a strong motor as well... International sucks for small truck engines sorry to burst your bubble pal!
You stick to what you hear, I will stick to what I see, international's design was not the biggest issue on the 6.0

<avowed Ford guy... Hey, my two cents here. The 6.0 is fine if you dont beat on it or jack it up with a tuner only...As for the 6.4? My personal towpig is doing just fine, thank you, and drug a weeks worth of firewood, camping gear, and a 10k trailer with a 4000lb Jeep on it to Colorado ad back this past July ( stopped in Indiana for fuel-heat index 126!)....no issues, none. And not for nothing, but the Torqshift trans is as good as it gets.. Ask the diesel drag guys how long the Allison lasts when you turn up the boost. The Ford trannies have not had failure below 1100 lb-ft., stock. Dreaming of putting an Allison behind a PowerStroke is like trying to stitch pig legs on a racehorse...why bother?
GM sells their HD's on Allison trans (not designed or built by GM)...Allison is a vaunted name, but that particular tranny does have shortcomings in the light duty trucks, brought to you courtesy of the GM beancounters.
As for that darned DPF behind my 6.4? I still have it. Yes, Im aware the milage isnt what it could be, but then again I never thought about that much when buying a truck that I expected to tow a house and weighs nearly 7000 pounds. If mileage is your big concern, go rock out in a Prius, I'll be sure to give you a honk and a wave while i pass you going uphill, on my way to a camp and a trail, while you head to Bed Bath and Beyond..have fun.

..just my 2 cents.

<avowed Ford guy... Hey, my two cents here. The 6.0 is fine if you dont beat on it or jack it up with a tuner only...As for the 6.4? My personal towpig is doing just fine, thank you, and drug a weeks worth of firewood, camping gear, and a 10k trailer with a 4000lb Jeep on it to Colorado ad back this past July ( stopped in Indiana for fuel-heat index 126!)....no issues, none. And not for nothing, but the Torqshift trans is as good as it gets.. Ask the diesel drag guys how long the Allison lasts when you turn up the boost. The Ford trannies have not had failure below 1100 lb-ft., stock. Dreaming of putting an Allison behind a PowerStroke is like trying to stitch pig legs on a racehorse...why bother?
GM sells their HD's on Allison trans (not designed or built by GM)...Allison is a vaunted name, but that particular tranny does have shortcomings in the light duty trucks, brought to you courtesy of the GM beancounters.
As for that darned DPF behind my 6.4? I still have it. Yes, Im aware the milage isnt what it could be, but then again I never thought about that much when buying a truck that I expected to tow a house and weighs nearly 7000 pounds. If mileage is your big concern, go rock out in a Prius, I'll be sure to give you a honk and a wave while i pass you going uphill, on my way to a camp and a trail, while you head to Bed Bath and Beyond..have fun.

..just my 2 cents.

This is so well put!!
I am a cummins guy myself because of the tried and true nature of the company and strong performance from the 4 or 6BT. However, I do have to say Ford/Powerstroke has always been a strong contender and they do make a great work truck. Chevy is right there too, but I think each truck manufacturer has it's own demons to work out. Whether it is the engine itself, the tranny, the silly eco-friendly add-ons, or just the materials wrapped around these torque monster engines. I have seen them all pull, drag race and I have talked to different owners of each of these brand names, both modified and not. Some have had issues, mostly due to their own idiocy, while others have not had a single problem with the same year vehicle and/or modifications. Basically, run what ya' brung, love it and keep rollin' coal!
Great thread!

Thanks for the kudos. I'm not slamming the Allison here, just trying to put a little persepective into the conversation. ALL the engine/trans combos work great in stock configuration, as they were designed to...I will admit I have grown a bit tired of hearing how great the Allison is compared to the others based on no real world evidence that it is in fact clearly superior...credit GM's marketing department for that one, they managed to recruit a lot of internet cheerleaders with that campaign!
Back to the thread subject: I bought my 6.4 only after looking at a used 6.0. It happened to be a "first year" 6.0, and hearing all that I had, decided to shop new instead, which worked out pretty well with the 0% financing Ford was offering at the time. Would I totally shun a 6.0?...no, actually, it is a very strong motor, and from what I see there are plenty of them on the road working hard every day. There are issues that you need to keep an eye on, but what vehicle doesnt have them? Hell, we're all here because we like Cherokees and Comanches, and there are plenty longer threads on NAXJA that concern their inherent shortcomings.so before this whole thread devolves into a bench racing yapfest, lets give the guy an honest answer.
Rich

Like I, and Rich, mentioned each of the big 3 have their share of issues, but Ford is a proven work horse. I have a friend with a 6.0 and hasn't had a single issue with it. He does baby it, but I have seen him beat it pretty hard too. Even though I prefer a Cummins I don't think I would shy away from a Powerstroke, or Duramax for that matter.
I would thoroughly check it out, drive it and get your own giggly feeling from the thrust of earth turning torque! If you like it - go for it. If you don't, then run away. If you aren't too confident take it to a diesel shop and see what they think. Although after all of our rambling you've probably made up your mind, or the truck was sold....hope not!

Good friend of mine just got a diesel Excursion with a 6.0. Its all stock and runs just fine. He actually got it CHEAPER than an older Excursion with more miles with the 7.3

The bad press of the 6.0 has really driven the prices down.

Good friend of mine just got a diesel Excursion with a 6.0. Its all stock and runs just fine. He actually got it CHEAPER than an older Excursion with more miles with the 7.3

The bad press of the 6.0 has really driven the prices down.

Thats good for us in the know :party:

i had a 2001 excursion with 7.3 80k all stock yall dont want to know what i got for that a couple of years ago!!

This thread is great peoples opinions matter and everyone has different opinions on the same motors. Know this is my I heard it in a rumor mill portion GM is dropping duramax and Allison now I know guys love Chevy but how many versions of the duramax have they had since 2001? I understand they tried to fix there mistakes and they did try to an extent to help their customers out with the older duramax's but even Chevy has had enough of that motor.

This thread is great peoples opinions matter and everyone has different opinions on the same motors. Know this is my I heard it in a rumor mill portion GM is dropping duramax and Allison now I know guys love Chevy but how many versions of the duramax have they had since 2001? I understand they tried to fix there mistakes and they did try to an extent to help their customers out with the older duramax's but even Chevy has had enough of that motor.

Interesting, the newer duramax's seem good 04 on... I know they are fast and capable of making a ton of power.

Interesting, the newer duramax's seem good 04 on... I know they are fast and capable of making a ton of power.

did you read what I posted before. from my experiences, with two identical trucks with different bodys and different gears in the axles I really think they are way overrated.

Idk about the duramax. We have it it some of the work trucks. The 4500c box truck already had the turbo go at 30k miles. And the 4500c stake body can barely do 55mph towing 18k lbs. Both trucks are '05s.

Back