• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford powerstrokes

6.0s have their issues just as most newer emission controlled diesels do, fact is though if you want it to be reliable it needs to be stripped of the egr system and it needs head studs done.

6 liters have a B50 rating of 300k miles from International, if the egr cooler/valve fails you might as well just bypass it. If you plan on hauling heavy loads and hogging it around like a madman you CAN blow head gaskets, there are guys out there running heavily worked 6 liters with 400k plus on them with very little problems and theres also guys out there doing head gaskets at 80k miles.

If you want the truck to last long indefinitely "bullet proof" the 6 liter. The engine makes tremendous amounts of power and can out run most any 7.3s with a trailer. I wouldn't pass a non beat to piss 7.3 though, reliable and age tested, plus their much more simple.

Last edited:
my 2001 pwrstrke is a beast-still stock configuration,and i have seen repo trucks with over 700k on a 7.3 and over 600k on a 6.0--if ya find one that interests you--pm me the full vin and i'll run it for WARRANTY history, that can make or break a deal!!

dont do Ford 6.0

friends (more than one!) have had 6.0s die at less than 80k

One person had the bottom end go to marbles. (lightly modified)

Other friend is consistently in the shop with the 6.0 (stock)
Currently figuring out if the engine is worth replacing. last problem, valves kissed a few pistons.

Unless you like to hear, "16k for new engine please.."
dont do it.

7.3 seems to live forever
They are currently, looking at installing a cummins in the ford(s).

7.3s are more reliable but the fact is that the last of those trucks were made almost 10 years ago now. The engine may last 500k miles but what about the rest of the truck? I'm all for buying a well kept old/high mileage truck but the fact is that people rely on these trucks, having a 500k mile truck isn't always feasible for some.

If you can find a well kept 7.3, go for it. Thing is those are getting harder and harder to find these days. 6.0s were more problematic but its mostly because the engine has to run hotter for emissions, another thing I also like to look at is to see how many of these "omgzz my 6 liter blew up" guys were running a tuner? Run a hot tune on a stock engine with a heavy trailer... ya your gona have problems.

Speaking from experience and from conversations with GOOD ford techs. 80+% of 6.0 issues are due to poor maintenance. From what they have seen. at least 80% of trucks that come in for fuel related issues under 70k miles still have the factory fuel filters in them. You can tell because the factory filter part number starts with FF. Friend of mine lost a injector at 100k. Burnt a piston and cylinder because of it. Come to find out he was over 30k on the fuel filters.

I have a bone stock f450 that has pulled a 20,000 lb trailer every day since 04 trouble free. I have a 04 f350 tuned to the hilt, larger turbo, multiple other mods. Has towed all over the place. Only issue was a turbo that started to stick around the 5 year mark.

Just because they can't be run into the ground with zero maintenance does not mean they are bad motors. And most common issues can be fixed by anyone capable of lifting a jeep. I have a buddy that badmouths his 6.0 to everyone he can because he lost a head gasket. Kid was drag racing his buddy up a hill with a large tune while hauling his drag car to the track. Go figure...

I've owned a 7.3 for years never had one problem with it best motor out there. 6.0 is crap just think ford dropped it real quick and. NAVSTAR didn't stand behind there warranty. As for a cummins in a ford why not since I believe ford owns cummins it only a matter of time and dodge knows this because they are looking a mercades diesel for the future.

Only if you lead!
I think that would result in you or Colin pulling my jeep out pretty quickly. At least I'd be in front though, you have a winch on the front right?

cool story bro

they will have to "shoe-horn" that in the engine compartment--it aint gonna be easy for sure!!!!

Meh. It's not that bad.

a cummins in a ford would be AWESOME. ford body, cummins motor... now go get an allison tranny and you have the perfect truck.

The Bronco just shit out clutch #4 last weekend...the whole upgraded Southbend setup. It had been slipping for a while though.

:smsoap:

They are currently, looking at installing a cummins in the ford(s).
Thats a rumor that goes around every few months. The 6.7 is available in a ford, you just need to get a F650 or bigger

Back