• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fastest XJ

I did 180mph in my XJ....coil overs, exo cage, 38" swampers, and a 38x14.50 swamper on the roof rack. Nice and stable the whole way......

.......and then I woke up. :p

What gets me is the amount of people drivin way too fast...mostly non-members. My question is are the members just not speakin up or are we actually more responsible... :D

BlackSport96 said:
What gets me is the amount of people drivin way too fast...mostly non-members. My question is are the members just not speakin up or are we actually more responsible... :D

I'm hoping you were joking.
Renegade was !
Oh and the guy who started the thread is a member.
It is making me wonder. :laugh3:

Last edited:
HaZakated said:
I have 31 10-50 Geolander m/T'S, 3.5" custom spring lift on a 4.0 L 2000 XJ....I buried the speedometer 100+ mph on the way home from Attica,IN (Badlands) last week. T/C drop kit works wonders. When it was stock it would run atleast 110-120 mph easy. I get a very slight vibration about 45-50mph.

Brian

Governed to 116mph. So going over that would not be "easy".

Back on subject, I hit that governer once every couple months. SO, 116 is the fastest a stock XJ can go. Any faster, and you need to have an uncalibrated speedo or a chip that eliminates the stock gov. No more BS people.

well i got my 90 to just about redline in 5th, with 3.55:1's in the rear

JeepSpeed said:
Governed to 116mph. ... SO, 116 is the fastest a stock XJ can go. Any faster, and you need to have an uncalibrated speedo or a chip that eliminates the stock gov. No more BS people.

Thank you for delivering us back to reality! :)

boise49ers said:

I'm hoping you were joking.
Renegade was !
Oh and the guy who started the thread is a member.
It is making me wonder. :laugh3:
:D means joking...
btw its obvious Renegade was joking... Oh and I think if there's a shortage of members going too fast, its probably because they're not speaking up.

Hummm Its been awhile since i've pushed an XJ that hard but the first one I owned had a nice built 4.o with everything clifford made at the time and on the highway i would pull like heck right up till the limiter ended my fun with the 235s that were a little taller than stock so i had estimated about 120 for the cut off. yes i was crazy but again i was younger and when ya drive 40k a year you want to ge there quicker. At some point i will build another jeep that should make that one seem slow and tame but who knows when i'll have time.

were all XJ's governed though? Even the Renix's? If so, then they put PERFECT gears in it for the auto version, as the only thing that slowed me down was the rev limiter as I was at 5k when it finally quit. (it was in OD too)

worn out topic but i have to add. downhill, gps verified my jeep went 117 and i don't think it could go any faster (drag limited). that was with 235s, so if the stock computer limits me to 116, than i was fooling it with that extra 5" of tire circumference.

karter74 said:
were all XJ's governed though? Even the Renix's? If so, then they put PERFECT gears in it for the auto version, as the only thing that slowed me down was the rev limiter as I was at 5k when it finally quit. (it was in OD too)

Perfect gearing is right...I don't think I've driven another vehicle that runs its paces as nicely as my XJ...love it. I'm a bit of a driving enthusiast, and go to the speedway in Phoenix on the occasional long weekend to play around and get a good feel of the XJ's capabilities. (that said, the fastest I've taken the Jeep to was 115, my speedo needs adjusted a hair)

the speedo on my '87 only goes to 85. i got the needle a ways past 85 and i wasnt wound out yet. 4.0, aw4, 3.55's and 27 in tires. so how fast could i go? dont have a tach so i cant be sure what ive been up to.

5-90 said:
I'm hoping to build a 200mph XJ - but it's gonna take time, and I'll probably have to take it to Bonneville...
5-90
The "hand of God" will keep that brick from ever getting close to 175.

a 200 mile an hour XJ....

this thread brings teh funny.

Probably - but that won't stop me from trying! I just want to see if it can be done...

I'd like to work out a way to:
do ~200 in a straight line
still be streetable
handle mild-to-moderate off-road (trails, fire roads, some mud/sand/rocks. Can't build it too much for off-road, or I won't be able to hit speed.)

5-90

streetpirate said:
the speedo on my '87 only goes to 85. i got the needle a ways past 85 and i wasnt wound out yet. 4.0, aw4, 3.55's and 27 in tires. so how fast could i go? dont have a tach so i cant be sure what ive been up to.

Ok, gave this one another try. same setup as above with my 30in snow tires. i was able to get to the "H" at the bottom of the speedo before i pussed out and shut'er down. how fast do you think that was?

Fastest I got my 90XJ up to is about 90, but I did get it past the M on the bottom of the speedo once, spinning all 4 wheels in 5th on ice...

I got my Grand Wagoneer up to 117 once but that's a whole different story

Does down hill count? How many sand bags Im allowed?

My long dead evil twin hit 112 in a stock 2K about 5 years ago. Unfortunately this was backed by the accurate radar guns of Oakland County SD.
Front end would probably fly apart at that speed now.

Back