• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easiest axles to swap in an xj?

rustynuts

NAXJA Forum User
i tried searching and didnt find what im looking for. i wanna go out and get a 44, 60, 8.8, 9", etc....i don't really care, i dont want larger than 34-35's locked.

what years, makes, and models would fit into my 99xj the best? rear shouldnt be too much of a problem, i have a cut that'll cut and weld some for me, but the front's what im not too sure about.

can someone give me some kinda list? theres a place here in charlotte called "pull a part" and you can get axles very, very cheap. i guess i'll go tomorrow.

none will just "fit" youll have to do significant modification to your axles and some other modifications as well... steering to mention only one..

the only axles that will fit into an xj are xj axles. those that you mentioned were never intended to go into a cherokee or any vehicle its size

oh im sure. ive been looking around, i just don't want to go out and grab any axle.... i'd like to find out which of my choices will be the easier bet. what i need to look for, etc.

i'm gunna buy them and have them worked on until they're ready to be installed and then swap it so i'm not as rushed.

Ihad a ford explorer 8.8 set up with spring pads,shock mounts,drum brakes for my 96 cherokee.direct boltin but required custom ebrake cables and bracket in the trans tunnel and wheel spacers(8.8 is 3 inches narrower i believe)without the wheel spacers the tires were about 1/4 inch from the leaf springs.the only other problem is the 8.8 dif is over to the right more than the stock one and hits the stock exhaustunder hard compression.

basically, any route you chose to go will be a decent amount of fab work, not only to get it to fit, but to get it to function properly. the end result as i have been told and have seen, is pretty well worth it though

so what's some good vehicles to pull a dana 44 front/rear or ford 9" rear out of? what should i stay away from? ive pulled axles but havent had too much experience swapping.

i found an 83 waggy.... how about that?

rustynuts said:
i tried searching and didnt find what im looking for. i wanna go out and get a 44, 60, 8.8, 9", etc....i don't really care, i dont want larger than 34-35's locked.

what years, makes, and models would fit into my 99xj the best? rear shouldnt be too much of a problem, i have a cut that'll cut and weld some for me, but the front's what im not too sure about.

can someone give me some kinda list? theres a place here in charlotte called "pull a part" and you can get axles very, very cheap. i guess i'll go tomorrow.

Dynatrac, Currie, Tera.

and you migth as well go with full width front axle as well.
A lot of it depends on how much you are willing to spend, you have to think about what kind of gears and lockers (if you run them) and any other mods nessisary

Dana 60's run a pretty penny and then you have to decide on gears

Ford 8.8's are a bit cheaper and more easily found. Most any junkyard has old explorer 8.8's pretty cheap.

Ford 9's are pretty good axles, found in most f-150's, 69-79 bronco's and econoline cargo vans, if you go Ford 9" and front 44 a 70's f-150 is best

I have a Ford 9" rear and Dana 44 front, lot of things to do to the axles to prep them.
while i was installing it, i did a few things to cheat and add a lil strength
Front 44
First off, i raised the coil buckets an inch and a half to cheat on a lil lift
I also pushed my connectiongs for my long arm out an inch or two so I wasnt overextending the threads on my adjustable long arms
Also put a stronger plate for mounting my shocks, one that won't strip like on a stock 30
I used 2.5" square tubing fro all of it, for a lot of strenght with quarter inch thickness

Ford 9" rear
I moved my shock mounts above the axle, that way they werent dragging on rocks, i also set of a 4 shock system instead of 2, basicly put another set opposite of the stock, so that there was a shock on each side on both ends of the axle
I converted my leaf plates so that I didn't have to use U-bolts, its a lot stronger and keeps everything in line.
I also welded all the mounts up just right to give me a 6* angle for my driveshaft, this way i didn't have to rely on shims or shackles.

rocklandxjer said:
those that you mentioned were never intended to go into a cherokee or any vehicle its size

Correct, apart from one thing: the XJ D44 is a direct swap-in. Good luck finding an '87-'89 XJ that you can get one out of, though.

I am going to swap in a 9" and 44 in a little while here. The 9" is just cutting the leaf mounts and moving them, and that is basically it. Now the 44 you have 2 ways to go, some say it is a pain in the ass to weld to cast, but if done right it will be strong. So, just take the d30 and replicate the brackets on the 44, and maybe a cut and turn. Or, run the ford radius arms, then you will just have to find a way to mount it to the unibody. 77-79 ford broncos or f-150's are your best bet because they have disc brakes. Gears are cheap for 9" because they use them for muscle cars. Make sure you get the 31 spline 9" if you go that way. When you get into d60, you have to dick with 8 lug, and about after the 4 lug you are saying f this. There are many right ups here, search
Scott

rocklandxjer said:
however an xj44 isnt a full width is it? it was my understanding that he wanted to go full width, if not, yes i totally agree with you casm

Fair point. I just re-read the original post, and while he listed some axles that would normally be found in full-width, he also listed a couple that can be found in more XJ-sized dimensions. Didn't get the impression he wanted to run full-width per se, but rather that he was just trying to figure out which way to go.

yea i just re read it as well. he said 44 and 8.8 (i missed that) and 60 and 9" i guess i misread a bit, al beit it seems that he actually does want to go the full width route anyway

rocklandxjer said:
however an xj44 isnt a full width is it? it was my understanding that he wanted to go full width, if not, yes i totally agree with you casm

The XJ 44 is full width, goes from tire to tire last time I checked.. :) XJ 44 in the rear is the easiest, the 30 up front isn't bad, just do full c-clips. Unless of course you want to go bigger than 35's, then break out the wallet.

serrano said:
Ihad a ford explorer 8.8 set up with spring pads,shock mounts,drum brakes for my 96 cherokee.direct boltin but required custom ebrake cables and bracket in the trans tunnel and wheel spacers(8.8 is 3 inches narrower i believe)without the wheel spacers the tires were about 1/4 inch from the leaf springs.the only other problem is the 8.8 dif is over to the right more than the stock one and hits the stock exhaustunder hard compression.

BS...

The 8.8 only is 5/8" shorter per side. I run 35's and they are way further then 1/4 from the leaf. The off set diff is FULLY irrelevent! About 1 in nevery 5 off road race truck uses a off set tranny or TC case or diff. that does not line up with each other. I have Never had my diff or any part of the axle hit anything except the bump stops adn I get about 8.5" of up travel with the way that my rear shocks are through the rear cab floor and attached to the cage. And what the heel are you talking about? bracket in the trans tunnel? WTF are you talking about?

As for brake cables. MORE (mountainoffroad.com) has direct fit/replacment cables.

All in all depending on how much of your own work you can do.. A 8.8 just to get it to bolt in (not including any gear changes or locker you make want/need) you can do a 8.8 for 100-300 for the housing, 150$ for brake cables and spring purches. If you need the old purches cut off and or welded on then thats more of course. Then for shock mounts that again if you cant make them then theres like 30-50$ more.

I would Highly recommend the 8.8, then just have the posi rebuilt for min hard core use or do a ECTED locker for 550 delivered, gears if needed (175 motive and 89 for install kit), then purches for 40$, and redo the brakes 50$, brake cables 95$ i think they were. then what ever work you cant do would be extra of course. If you do get a 8.8 just make sure you get it from a newer explorer and that it must have disc brakes. That tells you its a 31spline, and of course you get the disc brake upgrade.

The front just get a set of chromo axles, nice ujoints and for both get a very stout (ruffstuffspecialties.com) diff cover. your good then for up to 35's and if you want more then the front is a toss up...

thanks guys. yeah i want a full width front as well. when i searched i didnt find any posts like what i was looking for, but then i saw some under similar..... thats what im wanting.... the years and models i should be looking for.

i have a chance to get a xj 44 front and rear really cheap. the front is pass drop....so oh well, and the rear, he said is offset. does this matter? he said it's offset about 6" but i dont know if that's true, i havent seen it.

Back