• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive to Moab on new gears ?

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
How important is gear break in ?

I picked up the Xj last night and let it heat up and cool down twice.

The break in reccomendation says not to tow for 500 Miles and even when I do to stop every 15 miles and let it cool for the first 60 towing miles.

I was planning on not only driving to Moab but towing my Xj trailer.

Now I am unsure if that is a good Idea, I cannot afford to ruin this gearset.

What do you guys think ?

I've never had an issue with beating on a new gear set. Throw a magnet on the bottom of the diff if it bothers you but in my opinion you will be fine.

If a quality set is used and the install was good, there really shouldn't be much debris in after break in. That has been my experience.

I'd bring a drain pan and the stuff to do diff services

You should be fine! Unless the install is not right :thumbup:

How important is gear break in ?

I picked up the Xj last night and let it heat up and cool down twice.

The break in reccomendation says not to tow for 500 Miles and even when I do to stop every 15 miles and let it cool for the first 60 towing miles.

I was planning on not only driving to Moab but towing my Xj trailer.

Now I am unsure if that is a good Idea, I cannot afford to ruin this gearset.

What do you guys think ?

You'll be fine. The heat cycles are what's important. I wouldn't bother with a diff service either, just do it when you get back. They don't tell you how to break in the gears if you buy a new one, or require a 500 mile diff service.

Nhrocker drove to nacfest(400mile) wheeled 3 days and drove home without issue with brand new 4.88's 31's. Go for it and enjoy the trip, wish I was going

Well it seemed to be going well was using cruise at 70mph .

It started slowly dropping to 60 and staying there if i tap the gas it will acelerate on its own again but in a few mins drops back down to 60..... Seems strange I hope its ok..

While it is holding at 70 it seems to be revving higher now .. Any ideas why ? It doesnt seem like im on too much of an incline

Well I guess I have to dissent. I have seen many gear failure set up by reputable people who have been doing it forever. It always came back to the guy not doing the break-ins, or towing with it right away. I personally would not tow on a new set of gears. Hope its not too late for you.

If you are going to do it anyway, buy a temp gun and check it every 50 miles or so just to be sure you're not overheating the gears.

Well it seemed to be going well was using cruise at 70mph .

It started slowly dropping to 60 and staying there if i tap the gas it will acelerate on its own again but in a few mins drops back down to 60..... Seems strange I hope its ok..

While it is holding at 70 it seems to be revving higher now .. Any ideas why ? It doesnt seem like im on too much of an incline

Were you in Kansas? If so, it's hard to believe how much the wind and mild slope will hurt you.

You driving in OD or 3rd?

I was in Od I think that was part of it.

Well I guess I have to dissent. I have seen many gear failure set up by reputable people who have been doing it forever. It always came back to the guy not doing the break-ins, or towing with it right away. I personally would not tow on a new set of gears. Hope its not too late for you.

If you are going to do it anyway, buy a temp gun and check it every 50 miles or so just to be sure you're not overheating the gears.

Hopefully it will be fine Before we towed we ran it 20 miles and let cool 3x without trailer.

Then 20 miles with trailer and let cool stopped for an hr once and 1/2 hr once to let cool during the during the main drive.

We also stopped for at least 1/2hr evey gas stop. So like 6 times.

Stopped To visit grandma in pueblo co and stayed for hours.

We stopped in the mountains and let it cool for an hr and hard wired the efan to help cool the motor a bit.

Then when I got to my dads in westcliffe co we changed the gear oil and put it on a tow rig.

He was an automotive engineer for DC and he said te amount of flake in there looked to be normal for a break in.

Were you in Kansas? If so, it's hard to believe how much the wind and mild slope will hurt you.

Pretty sure this was the main issue.

Back