• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DPG OffRoad's new TrailGunner springs

arsonlvr said:
what is the actual lift height of the coils and leafs?
They are pretty close to the stated 5" lift height. Of course, actual height would vary slightly from a bone stock jeep to a heavily loaded rig like Jason's.

any numbers for them after they have been broken in?
They'll be very close to where they started from. I can't find much if any settling on our rig after more than a year of running the final prototypes.

how do they do when used with aftermarket bumpers and winches?
Awesome! The ride just gets better with weight added. These springs don't sit down as far with some extra weight on them as some of the other aftermarket springs do.
Some of the taller springs on the market are too soft. Some still run near stock spring rates at 4.5" or more of lift. Those springs will sit down quite a bit with aftermarket accessories added to the jeep. Those springs also are much less stable than ours.

you wouldnt happen to have some numbers to compare your spring rates with re and others would you?
Our springs are firmer than most of RE's stuff. For an exact rate comparo, just call the particular MFG and ask them. I've never had a problem getting spring rate info from RE.
Of course, our springs are much firmer than anything from OME. Their soft rates are pretty darned sweet for a 2-3" lift. Wouldn't wanna double that lift height with the same rates though!
OME #930 XJ coils are 160lb spring rate.

I'll tell you what Dirk, I'm feeling generous and am going to offer you a chance to give you a big favor. I will test out the leaves and coils in my Jeep and run them around California on both the highway and street for no less than one year. I will make it a point to abuse them (within reason of course) and try to get into flexy situations.

I will do all of this testing for you for free, I'll even install the parts. Just ship them to me and I'll get started.

I promise you this isn't a scam. I realize that a deal this sweet must sound like a scam to your knowledgeable ears but I swear I'm just in a generous mood and will probably regret this offer in the morning.

:laugh3:

Looks like a quality product. I'm interested to see some results from full body rigs with long arms; mainly to see how well the front/rear balances.

Sequoia

thanks for replying so quickly dirk. i definitely think i will give your springs a try in the near future. my re stuff is doing pretty well for now, but with the added weight of my bumpers, tire carrier, and winch i have definitely noticed them compressing and loseing ride height.

GSequoia said:
I'll tell you what Dirk, I'm feeling generous and am going to offer you a chance to give you a big favor. I will test out the leaves and coils in my Jeep and run them around California on both the highway and street for no less than one year. I will make it a point to abuse them (within reason of course) and try to get into flexy situations.

I will do all of this testing for you for free, I'll even install the parts. Just ship them to me and I'll get started.

I promise you this isn't a scam. I realize that a deal this sweet must sound like a scam to your knowledgeable ears but I swear I'm just in a generous mood and will probably regret this offer in the morning.

:laugh3:
...and if I act now, I'll lose 50 pounds and be RICH beyond my wildest dreams, right?:D
[/QUOTE]
Looks like a quality product. I'm interested to see some results from full body rigs with long arms; mainly to see how well the front/rear balances.
Front & rear balance is a tricky thing on an XJ.
I didn't design these springs to flex equally front to rear!!!
Coil springs will flex or compress farther than leafs will under the same amounts of pressure, if the rates are equal.
For our leaf spring to flex the same amount as our coils on MOST obstacles,AT THE SAME TIME, the leafs would have to be a MUCH softer spring rate. The result would be a much more UNSTABLE set-up. Much more body roll around corners and LEANING in off-camber situations, and a lot of wallowing & porpoising. Not good.
In many of the obstacles we see on the trail, the front suspension will go into action before the rear gets involved as much. Here's an example:
Robyn04.jpg

Notice the flex is great, but the rear leafs are holding the body of the jeep much flatter in this situation. This results in a much more stable attitude and cleaner shorts too! The tires follow the terrain, but the jeep tends to stay flatter.
If you've ever seen a rig set-up with front leafs and rear coils, (some YJ/CJ set-ups for example) they act quite differently. On many obstacles, the front flexes less than the rear, which causes the entire jeep to lean way over, while the REAR suspension flexes much more.
To each their own, but I prefer the flatter, more stable feel of less body lean.

A lot of rigs with 4 coils (or coil overs) have massive flex, but without some serious tuning with torsion bar/anti-rock type swaybars, that big lean factor is usually present. If you've ever rolled a jeep, stability tends to become much more important!:wierd:
That inherent stability of the front coil/rear leaf set-up is one of the things I like about XJ's.

The question is, do the rear leafs flex when they need to? Again, this is where good leaf design comes in. When you run through a ditch at an angle and jam that opposite rear tire against a wall, the rear leafs should flex a lot more- especially when the front coils are maxed out. (providing the shock lengths, mounts etc are all set-up properly)

There's a balance there, but the right balance doesn't come from equal flexing duties front to rear.

Hope that makes sense...

Well it's not about totally equal flex, I know that's not possible especially when you toss long arms into the equation.

What I'm really meaning is the action of the body having a tendancy to follow the rear axle. Such as if you have the axles crossed up the body sitting almost parallel with the rear axle.

My old setup (bastard pack and Rough Country 3" coils) balanced well. When the axles were crossed up the body sat level. I really liked that setup in the rocks, especially rock gardens on off camber hills! My current setup I don't know about yet, I haven't had a chance to get it into impressive rocks yet (I have to retrain my eyes, they still see 31"!)

GSequoia said:
Well it's not about totally equal flex, I know that's not possible especially when you toss long arms into the equation.

What I'm really meaning is the action of the body having a tendancy to follow the rear axle. Such as if you have the axles crossed up the body sitting almost parallel with the rear axle.

My old setup (bastard pack and Rough Country 3" coils) balanced well. When the axles were crossed up the body sat level. I really liked that setup in the rocks, especially rock gardens on off camber hills! My current setup I don't know about yet, I haven't had a chance to get it into impressive rocks yet (I have to retrain my eyes, they still see 31"!)

Do you mean something like this:

Bigflex.jpg

Thats Forced rear flex in that pic.

Dirk, don't bother shipping those springs to Cali, I am close enough I will just come and pick up my trial set :D.

any chance we'll ever see MJ rear leaf packs?
Right now the only full pack available is cRusty's, and that's just not happening.
I know that most go SOA, but some of us don't want 6" of lift, so a 4" spring pack would be a very interesting thing indeed.

Dirk, those look and sound pretty good. I've spent way to much with Deaver and if the bushings walk out again, i'll be ordering up a set

87manche said:
any chance we'll ever see MJ rear leaf packs?
Probably not.
The only way to get a new leaf into production is to test it first.
At least that's true for me. I won't just launch a new product on the market until I KNOW it's going to be right. That takes a good deal of time & effort.

Then, we'd have to order probably 100 packs or more to make the cost worthwhile. Then, we'd have to have a market for those. Since the MJ's have been out of production for so long, I don't think the market would support the production. I could be wrong, but that's what I see as the main obstacles for the MJ packs.

Weasel said:
so what is the price on these?

www.dpgoffroad.com

prices are listed there, but something seems to be messed up with the server redirecting or something.

I hope to get a set in the next month or so

How many leafs? Sounds good.

Kyung

The leafs run about $416/pair, and they're a 7-leaf design. Rubber bushings of course.

Dirk is just fine (afaik), and his site is back up up now (I'm not sure what happened there, but I'm sure he can explain it later).

I'm not sure if I started a second thread on here from my test run with the springs or not, but here's a link to some pics from the run:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeepin/sets/72157600026236318/

Nothing spectacular, just a simple shake-down run to help break in the springs and new tires and see how well everything worked. So far the springs work great. Ride is awesome, even with some DT3's still in the back, and it really does feel more stable offroad! The rear flexes better than my old modified 7-leaf RE packs, and it doesn't kick the body around as much as before, but I haven't felt any increase in body roll either (win-win!).

Here's some highlight pics, mostly just playing in a washout (only time I really got a chance to get out and take pics of my rig and look over everything).

417949484_a20fd048b0.jpg

417954599_47ee7691c3.jpg

417963795_87b8374a64.jpg

417959645_178a2c5e09.jpg

Jeepin Jason said:

Dirk is just fine (afaik), and his site is back up up now (I'm not sure what happened there, but I'm sure he can explain it later).

Well, It's KINDA up. I tried to get on and got one logo image and a bunch of unformatted html coding... so there are issues, but they seem to be working on them.

I called over there just now (2:45 EDT) and got their "closed for lunch" voicemail system.

hmm, front page comes up fine for me, but nothing else. Maybe Dirk's on the phone raising hell about his site getting gimped up, lol. I know I would be!

I just got off the phone with Dirk. Scheduled downtime last night has gone into unscheduled downtime today... But they are working on it and should be fully up soon (hopefully..) He's still open for business and taking ordres by phone.

Back