• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dont take my XJ away

Only covers Grands and Liberty's.

Doesnt matter where you put the gas tank if you get hard enough its gonna pop and possibly explode, Same things where said about the older GMC pickups years ago except it was the side impacts. Fact is that a gas tank is a rolling bomb and you cant protect it 100% no matter what you do! Gov needs to get a life and but the Frick out!

You really expect corporate America to give a f--k about the consumer

In this case I think Jeep has a point. They have been singled out in this and they don't build them any different than many other makes and models out there.

It's totally a product of sue happy America.

I remember when I was going through my accident reconstruction training on my first job out of college. They demonstrated how hard it was to actually get a gas tank to explode. It's damn near impossible in a non-sealed system.

There are so many variables that would have to be perfect, that the probability is in the billions.

Just remember, gas burns, it doesn't explode...Gotta love Hollywood politics.

I love the lack of personal accountability in this country. If run a set of crossing gates at a RR crossing and get hit by a train its the gates fault for not stopping from driving around them. When you put you self on the road with even 1 more driver I am taking a risk by driving at the same time with this person. With all their new standards and life saving technology how the hell did anyone ever live before the 2000's? It must have been a rare feat or godly intervention.

The classic Hollywood car-gets-rear-ended-and-blows-up scenario is exactly that. Hollywood. In real life, it takes a massive collision to rupture a tank. IMO, the Heeps in question were built to the then current tank standards for the class of vehicle they are. SUV, light truck, what ever the Feds call them...

To force a recall now is, at best, insane.

And, as a side note...

The Pinto debacle was an attempt by GM to deflect attention away from the fact that the engines in the Vega cars ate the cylinder walls for breakfast. In their infinite wisdom, the designers at GM ran steel rings in an aluminium barrel. Eventually, GM had to replace those engines with ones that had steel sleeves for the rings.

Anyone out there remember the Vegas? Good car except for the engine lunching itself...
Lots of room in the bay for a V-8.

since I am the owner and driver of one of these new fangled death traps (1999 WJ) :rolleyes: and a Ford fan, I'll chime in.

The Pinto issues were far more than a GM PR vehicle. Ford was well aware of the design defect, and had completed an analysis PRE-PRODUCTION as to what it would cost to fix the problem -- less than $3 per vehicle. Ford then did the math, figured that a couple dozen people might die from the defect, valued each of those lives at $200k, and figured out they would make more money paying out damages for a few deaths and not making the repair, than they would fixing the expolsive defect...

They were right, fewer people died than they thought, and they made more money... good business. bad business ethics, but good business. :eyes:

I'm not real concerned with the WJ, but if I were you guys, I wouldn't tailgate me so much -- I might do a brake check just to keep the NTSB honest.

Back