• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirt bike or Quad?

Dirt Bike or Quad?

• DIRT BIKE

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • QUAD

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

BigOrangeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My friend is looking at getting a dirt bike and his brother and mother soon getting quads. I am not one for getting into sports with a high risk of injury, but this would definitely be something fun that we could do on days off. Anyway, I am debating between a dirt bike and a quad. I think I would like a quad more because they seem more stable and when there's a foot of snow on the ground you can go up and down the street. My friend is really trying to persuade me to get a dirt bike instead and says they are no less stable (which is BS, 2 wheels vs. 4) and says you can go more places. Any comments/suggestions?

BigOrangeXJ said:
My friend is looking at getting a dirt bike and his brother and mother soon getting quads. I am not one for getting into sports with a high risk of injury, but this would definitely be something fun that we could do on days off. Anyway, I am debating between a dirt bike and a quad. I think I would like a quad more because they seem more stable and when there's a foot of snow on the ground you can go up and down the street. My friend is really trying to persuade me to get a dirt bike instead and says they are no less stable (which is BS, 2 wheels vs. 4) and says you can go more places. Any comments/suggestions?
My personal choice is a quad but...If I lived back east with lots of trees that might be different. Out here in the west there are tons of trails open to ATVS. Not to mention Sand dunes and miles and miles of dirt roads wide open to ORV use.

Depends on what you are looking for I guess.

What other sports are you into that are less dangerous? Golf and tennis? Pretty much any sport has a risk of injury no matter what.

If you plan on doing lots of snow riding, then a quad is probably better. My preference is for the bike. You can definitely do more and go more places on a bike. Easier to handle in extreme situations, lighter, faster, etcetera...

I'd go with the bike as well. Although I'll never ride another street bike again after laying down the motard. In hindsight...I should have never let go of that cream puff of a 250 that I had before the tard. That was really fun to ride around on all the fire roads we have here. I could also run errands around town on it too. Good stuff.

Up until a couple of years ago my only experience was with quads, then I started riding bikes. Both have advantages, disadvantages. I've already got a 4x4 to bounce around in (the Jeep), and a Ninja for the go-fast, and a mountain bike for the go most places. The dirtbike equates into a faster mountain bike for me, and the quad to a roofless Jeep. Either are a risk, it just depends on what risks you want to accept. The quad is more stable but less manuverable and if you do wreck it you have a heavy piece of equipment wrecking along side of you. The dirtbike can go damn near anywhere but that "anywhere" may mean that the bike is going left while you're going right.

That's just it, I may wait and see when my friend get's his if it's even for me. Personally I think I will be quite satisfied w/ the XJ when my 3.5" RE and 32's go on in 2 weeks. We shall see.

Beej said:
What other sports are you into that are less dangerous? Golf and tennis?

Hey golf can be dangerous. During my high school golf tryouts 4+ years ago a kid broke both his arms and dislocated his knee. No bullshit, they had to bring a golf cart out to pick him up then he went to the hospital. It was hard to keep from laughing at him while he was in pain.

I ride both and I think that they are both have about equal stability it all depends on your expirence. There isnt alot of legal places in CT to ride only one that i know of for quads and 2 or more for dirtbikes (that i know of).

At work I ride quads all the time and after work my boss lets me mess around. I noticed you wanted safe and a quad is safer four wheels on the ground rather than two. Quads are fun I do wheelies and go mud boggin' all the time.

Because you have four wheels on the quad it will transfer alot of motion onto you where a bike will have a smooth ride. Keep in mind that you can easily roll a quad, it's all about how big a jackass you can be on whatever it is. Ride within your limits and you will love whatever you get.

Back