• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diesel Cherokee Wagoneer Holy Grail?

Dusty_Jeeper_60

NAXJA Forum User
So to cut a long story short I have a old buddy that is a hard core jeep nut who owns some really old and rare jeeps, and it seems like every time I talk to him he has something rarer yet just hiding in one of his many storage lots (he's got a lot of stuff). So after seeing my 87 comanche that I recently purchased he mentions a diesel Cherokee that he was meaning to pull the drivetrain out of and put in his own comanche at some point, but since he got older he realized he won't get to all of his projects so he has been slowly selling his jeeps and he sold the comanche a year ago, yet still has the diesel Cherokee and was wondering if I would buy it. However I wasn't super excited about it as I have heard that the Renault diesels that jeep sold from the factory weren't the most powerful and I really liked my 4.0. But he talked me into at least looking at it so the sucker I am went out to look at and boy am I glad I did!!! It turned out not only to be a diesel Cherokee, but a diesel Cherokee Woody Wagoneer, automatic, 4x4, that had a factory turbo, and every single option known to man on it, select trac, roof console, A/C, factory AMC mudflaps, floor mats, the works. It even had the original owners manual specific for the diesel, and all the original maintenance records! Its white with the wood paneling, and the grille is the later wagoneer grill without the dual headlights, but rather the thin slats, I've attached a video of it running.

So now for my questions, how rare is a diesel Cherokee woody wagoneer? I know they didn't make many wagoneers, and I know that they didn't make many diesels, so if any one has any production numbers or someone I could get in contact with to get answers from I would appreciate it! And yes I bought it, I know I'm a sucker, but I've never heard of one or seen one this rarely optioned and this clean... And no I will not gut it for the drivetrain, but I'm stuck on whether I should just clean and polish it and sell it to someone who would be more interested in its rarity than looks. Or should I give it a 2 inch lift, throw on some wheels and tires from a 2019 rubicon wrangler, and maybe throw a nice dark metallic gray vinyl wrap over the wood grain and make it into a bearable to look at two tone modern 4x4 mall queen. Give me your thoughts, I'm pretty open to ideas at the moment... It also depends on how rare this bird is and what it might bring at a auction all spiffed up and looking factory stock. And if your wondering, I'm most definitely not going to hack this and make it into a capable 4x4, I think a mall cruiser that looks like it might be capable, (but not really) is what I'm after if I do modify it.

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cBAII9aRY0" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cBAII9aRY0[/URL]

Back