• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I get ripped off by this mechanic?

Its pretty simple. If he did the job correctly at the price he told you or atleast very close. Yoe weren't ripped off by him. If you did pay too much its your fault not his for doing the research AFTER THE FACT.

Its pretty simple. If he did the job correctly at the price he told you or atleast very close. Yoe weren't ripped off by him. If you did pay too much its your fault not his for doing the research AFTER THE FACT.

X2 And for the record, that is a good price for what he did!

Not really a bad price... that being said I would never pay someone to do something like that. A transmission is one of those things where I read a lot, buy the tools needed, get ahold of some of my friends and bribe them with beer to stand around and mock me for not paying for a mechanic while I lie under my jeep cursing at rusty bolts.

Not really a bad price... that being said I would never pay someone to do something like that. A transmission is one of those things where I read a lot, buy the tools needed, get ahold of some of my friends and bribe them with beer to stand around and mock me for not paying for a mechanic while I lie under my jeep cursing at rusty bolts.

Sounds just like the day I'm about to have...mocking my buddy that is.
Beer on him, grease on me!!

What are "rusty bolts"?

Must be a regional thing. :D

Hey thanks for all these responses.

The price stated was exactly what he quoted but afterward I started to question whether this guy is giving me a good deal or not. I always get weary when I switch to a difference mechanic so I just wanted to check in with the experts (you guys) on his price.

Now I can feel confident that If I don't have time or experience to do something this guy should be able to give me a fair rate.

It just depends on who you're dealing with.

...and it always pays to actually get to know the guy, and the job, and the terminology. If you go in acting like a d**k, that's exactly what you'll get. If you go in asking his valued opinion, you'll likely get a better deal. Especially at an independent shop.

A little joking around goes a long way. My mechanic has done two small jobs for me for a 12 pack...that I drank a couple beers outta!!

...and it always pays to actually get to know the guy, and the job, and the terminology. If you go in acting like a d**k, that's exactly what you'll get. If you go in asking his valued opinion, you'll likely get a better deal. Especially at an independent shop.

A little joking around goes a long way. My mechanic has done two small jobs for me for a 12 pack...that I drank a couple beers outta!!

reminds me of that new Budweiser commercial

Absolutely correct!

FYI--when you go to a shop inquire if they are "Flat Rate". A flat rate shop is going to quote from the flat rate manual and then charge you that amount of labor, regardless of the time the job takes. What that means is if the book says ten hours, and it takes the guy five hours to do the job, you are going to pay for ten hours, not five. Legal and most common method in the majority of shops. Some shops will check the manual, and then quote you what they believe is a closer figure on actual time. Markup on parts can range from about 35 to 65 percent, depending on the shop's cost.

This man knows. He must own a shop? This is usually how it works.

Back