• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

couple Colorado law questions

codyj86

NAXJA Forum User
I'm moving from MN to colorado springs next wednesday. Just wondering about the laws down ther regaurding bumper heights, and fender flares (how far the tires can stick out before you get hassled). Also, how much are the fines down there generally? not that i'm planning on getting caught doing anything wrong, but Mn the fines are just retarted expensive....
I'm sure I'll think of a few more.

One word.... none! Bumper height isnt an issue, no need for fender flares. Emissions depends on where you move to but where I am registered (Weld) you dont need emissions either. That might change soon however.

Colorado Springs. No emissions from what i've read. El Paso County. This is excellent news! haha. MN says no more than 25" to bottom of bumper. I've been nailed twice for it (guess i didn't learn my lesson). Even though the full size trucks run around with 30"+ sometimes. But i don't wanna get into that arguement right now. And MN tire coverage laws aren't inforced too much anymore.

what about trailer registration? MN has a lifttime sticker on the tongue. what about co?
oh, and front lic. plate? required?

colorado is one of the slackest states ive ever driven in. I grew up in VA where they would have motorcycle cops sitting on the side of the road checking every county and registration sticker to see if they were expired. back in va you had to have a state, county, and the month and year stickers on you're plate. emissions tests, AND some stupid vehicle safety test where they check your brakes, lights, and windshield wipers. big waste of time if you ask me, and just a reason to hand out more fines and pay for congressmens summer houses.

ok being a person who enforces Colorado laws I can tell you this:

There are two statutes to keep in mind when owning a lifted vehicle in CO. The first one pertains to lift or ride height Colorado does have a law stating no altered suspension. However I have never written a ticket for it and I know that most officers/ deputys wont write it due to the manufacturers nowadays lifting vehicles to promote a sale.

The other vehicle law pertains to the height of your headlights. Some guys slap on a lift then mount 6 Hella lights to there front bumper then drive around blinding everyone. This law was written to enforce mainly traffic safety for others.

As far as everything else you mentioned there are no set in stone laws....however you could be charged with an unsafe vehicle if your Jeep looks like this:confused1
100_1809.jpg

So any ways good luck with the move and if you need anymore "law" advice/info let me know I can look up something for you.:viking:

There are two statutes to keep in mind when owning a lifted vehicle in CO. The first one pertains to lift or ride height Colorado does have a law stating no altered suspension. However I have never written a ticket for it and I know that most officers/ deputys wont write it due to the manufacturers nowadays lifting vehicles to promote a sale.

The other vehicle law pertains to the height of your headlights. Some guys slap on a lift then mount 6 Hella lights to there front bumper then drive around blinding everyone. This law was written to enforce mainly traffic safety for others.

As far as everything else you mentioned there are no set in stone laws....however you could be charged with an unsafe vehicle if your Jeep looks like this:confused1
100_1809.jpg

So any ways good luck with the move and if you need anymore "law" advice/info let me know I can look up something for you.:viking:

You're a cop?

Yes and no. Colorado does have a "law" but it will never stick in court. It was declared unconstitutional by the state court in a case about 30 years ago. So alter the suspension all ya want, since it truly can't be enforced...:D

From my experience.
Denver, teller county, and state have some cool guys

Colorado springs and woodland park-- follow EVERY law. They wil tag you for anything possible. It obnoxious at times. But the rest if the state, in MY experience, is pretty chill

There are dick cops everywhere, its no big deal. The suspension law also pertains to lowered vehicles.

As everybody has said though, CO is one of the most leniant states in regards to your vehicle. Window tint, lift and drop kits, exhausts, etc. We are a pretty friendly state for modifying your ride and not getting hassled.

Actually, the altered suspension statute IS still enforceable - but it needs to be coupled with Unsafe Vehicle, or another charge that the suspension likely contributed to the problem. Meaning, if a guy rolls his lifted rig in an intersection and damages another car, injures another person, etc, and the officer investigating can reasonably conclude that the altered suspension was the proximate cause of the accident, then it's chargeable.

Cops can no longer simply pull over a ricer and give 'em a ticket for driving a belly scratcher......... or redneck ronnie for 44's on his stock axles under his '79 Toyota......

And yeah, I could burn up an entire ticket book on that pile Mason had........ :roflmao:

ok cool guys. My jeep is safe for sure. and the laws that you have mentioned seem to be pretty much the minimum requirements for driving a damn car down the road.

thanks much, if i think of any more i'll be sure to let you guys know.

From my experience.
Denver, teller county, and state have some cool guys

Colorado springs and woodland park-- follow EVERY law. They wil tag you for anything possible. It obnoxious at times. But the rest if the state, in MY experience, is pretty chill

what do you mean anything possible? if there aren't any bumper height laws, or tire coverage laws, what can they nail me for? I'm talking vehicle specific laws, speeding etc you should be expected to follow everywhere...

I've lived in El Paso County since 1968 -give or take a couple of years.I've been rolling around in lifted/altered Jeeps for the past 10 years and have had no issues at all with the police regarding the modifications on my rigs.As long as you're not driving like an idiot they pretty much leave you alone.Currently there is no emissions testing in the county. I would reccommend having a front liscense plate because although its loosely enforced it can get you a ticket if you don't have one.

Yeah like me.. I have gotten pulled over 2 times for not having a front license plate. 1 time I got the ticket. The other, the cop let me off with a warning.. Also, the first time, the highway patrol officer said its a traffic misdemeanor to have altered suspension.... But I have talked to a lot of cops and they say they don't ever ticket for it.

Yes Im a police officer and you guyz are mostly right.....I dont know too many of us that would write a ticket for off road vehicles many of us have Jeeps, yotas or some sort of lifted vehicle....heck Ive even stopped someone just to talk to them about there XJ....scares the crap out of them but sometimes its the only way i can meet new people!!!!!:shocked:

Back