• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

That JK owner will be telling everyone at the Starbucks trail head meeting that he got the tire carrier damage in Moab climbing the upper helldorado waterfall...in 2wd .

That guy was a total d-bag. So after riding my ass for awhile he cut the car beside him off so he could cut me off to get back in the right lane just to stop at the red light. I was a ticked, just gave him the finger, no honking, yelling or anything just a quick finger to him. I could see him in his side view mirror pointing and laughing at me. So light turns green I am trying to make a right turn and he won't go just sits there. Finally he goes and makes the right turn and as we are turning he brake checks me then quickly takes off goes over the curb through a parking lot and and around a building towards another exit like he is trying to get away. He finally stops and I get out check the damage and he starts going off about how I intentionally hit him etc etc. I am ask him wtf the deal is and he said he was shifting
And that is why he stopped . Sheriff's deputy and state patrol come out took everyone's info etc. Left it up to us if we wanted to file online or have a tickets written. I would get one for following too close. I told them it Didn't matter to me. The officer told me that the guy wanted me to get tickets for all kinds of crap. The officer told him he would also be receiving several of his own so the guy quickly changed his mind. Once the guy left I was speaking with the officers and he told them that he felt threatened by me because I gave him the finger, that's why he stopped and took off so he could get away from the danger lol.

Yeah unfortunately unless he admits to brake checking like he did they will just go with following to close , but had he admitted to intentionally brake checking the accident would be his ...I really did like driving the fully exoed rig on the roads ...lol...folks were so yielding around it .

Yeah unfortunately unless he admits to brake checking like he did they will just go with following to close , but had he admitted to intentionally brake checking the accident would be his ...I really did like driving the fully exoed rig on the roads ...lol...folks were so yielding around it .
LMAO! People would see my old F-100 in their rear view mirrors and clear a lane for me; I always thought it was the "character and patina" of the sheet metal. :D

Joe, if he thought it was anything but the finger, he would have claimed "gang signs."

That guy was a total d-bag. So after riding my ass for awhile he cut the car beside him off so he could cut me off to get back in the right lane just to stop at the red light. I was a ticked, just gave him the finger, no honking, yelling or anything just a quick finger to him. I could see him in his side view mirror pointing and laughing at me. So light turns green I am trying to make a right turn and he won't go just sits there. Finally he goes and makes the right turn and as we are turning he brake checks me then quickly takes off goes over the curb through a parking lot and and around a building towards another exit like he is trying to get away. He finally stops and I get out check the damage and he starts going off about how I intentionally hit him etc etc. I am ask him wtf the deal is and he said he was shifting
And that is why he stopped . Sheriff's deputy and state patrol come out took everyone's info etc. Left it up to us if we wanted to file online or have a tickets written. I would get one for following too close. I told them it Didn't matter to me. The officer told me that the guy wanted me to get tickets for all kinds of crap. The officer told him he would also be receiving several of his own so the guy quickly changed his mind. Once the guy left I was speaking with the officers and he told them that he felt threatened by me because I gave him the finger, that's why he stopped and took off so he could get away from the danger lol.

People suck. At least the damge doesn't look too bad but still.

you are a big dude, Joe... he probably was afraid. After you got out of the XJ! Sorry you had a loser-fest this week at the expense of your jeeps.

I bought a uca bushing for an xj it takes a 10mm bolt I used a bit to open up the sleeve to 1/2 I am either going to use a 12.9 or grade 8 ,And now the question I read that a JK uca bushing is identical to the XJ but uses a 12mm bolt and can just squeeze a 1/2 in with no drilling ...I ask b/c I got a new uca bushing I have not drilled and will return it to NAPA if the JK bolt sleeve is already that size requiring no work .

Anybody in the Pueblo or Springs area have a trailer they'd be willing to loan out? Looks like the other insurance company is gonna rack my XJ up as a total loss and foot the tow and storage bill, so I'm looking at trying to get it out of the lot tomorrow. Sorry if it's kinda short notice, but I'm headed out to Nebraska to pick up my next vehicle on Saturday. (A free 2000 Dakota 4x4, courtesy of some very thoughtful family.) If the trailer has a winch, that'd be nice since the Jeep has a blown front tire, worst case scenario, I have a come-a-long, chain, and some tow straps. The old man's got his work truck and it'll tow anything (because he tows everything, professionally.) Before that, he was an OTR truck driver with a Class A CDL, so the trailer will be in good hands.

I bought a uca bushing for an xj it takes a 10mm bolt I used a bit to open up the sleeve to 1/2 I am either going to use a 12.9 or grade 8 ,And now the question I read that a JK uca bushing is identical to the XJ but uses a 12mm bolt and can just squeeze a 1/2 in with no drilling ...I ask b/c I got a new uca bushing I have not drilled and will return it to NAPA if the JK bolt sleeve is already that size requiring no work .

I have the dealer tools to install and remove XJ and JK axle side UCA bushings. The receiver cup is the same OD for both XJ and JK. The XJ is a 10 and the JK is a 12. I took a XJ bushing fit it up to the JK tool and it looks like your theory may work. I don't have a JK bushing and 1/2" bolt to confirm that far. I would be concerned about the durometer of the rubber. I prefer to use matching rubber side to side. I would take your new bushing and go to NAPA and compare against the JK bushing and make your decision at the store. Bring a 1/2" bolt with you to the store, or they should have them in the back.

Last edited:

LMAO! People would see my old F-100 in their rear view mirrors and clear a lane for me; I always thought it was the "character and patina" of the sheet metal. :D

Joe, if he thought it was anything but the finger, he would have claimed "gang signs."

LOL, that happened to me the first few times I drove to NJ/NY with Tennessee tags. The nearest car was like 1/4 mile behind me and up there following distance is typically a half a car length.

Took a look at the xj today to get an idea of what will need to be replaced/repaired. Anyone have any input on anything else I should look for? All seems pretty straight forward and should be an easy fix. Spoke with their insurance today and they have accepted 100% liabilty and will be out to take a look at it tomorrow. I mentioned to them what I have noticed so far and the adjuster started talking about a total loss. Here is the list i have come up with so far

Rear
Rear hatch + labor and paint
Tint window on hatch to match aftermarket tint/ or swap glass with current tintnted glass with new gasket
Rear bumper+ labor and paint
Rear bumper end cap x1 + labor and paint
Rear bumper bracket x1 + labor
Repair/paint lower rear quarter panel
Remove and replace rear fender flare
Rear tail light + labor

Front
Front bumper + labor and paint
Front bumper end cap ×2 + paint and labor
Front bumper brackets x2 + labor
Align front frame horns/bumper mounts at unibody
Left front turn signal housing + labor
Left front headlight surround + paint and labor
Left front fog light with mounting bracket + labor
Repair/paint left front fender
Remove and replace left front fender flare
Remove and replace left front inner fender

Took a look at the xj today to get an idea of what will need to be replaced/repaired. Anyone have any input on anything else I should look for? All seems pretty straight forward and should be an easy fix. Spoke with their insurance today and they have accepted 100% liabilty and will be out to take a look at it tomorrow. I mentioned to them what I have noticed so far and the adjuster started talking about a total loss. Here is the list i have come up with so far

Rear
Rear hatch + labor and paint
Tint window on hatch to match aftermarket tint/ or swap glass with current tintnted glass with new gasket
Rear bumper+ labor and paint
Rear bumper end cap x1 + labor and paint
Rear bumper bracket x1 + labor
Repair/paint lower rear quarter panel
Remove and replace rear fender flare
Rear tail light + labor

Front
Front bumper + labor and paint
Front bumper end cap ×2 + paint and labor
Front bumper brackets x2 + labor
Align front frame horns/bumper mounts at unibody
Left front turn signal housing + labor
Left front headlight surround + paint and labor
Left front fog light with mounting bracket + labor
Repair/paint left front fender
Remove and replace left front fender flare
Remove and replace left front inner fender

Remember that any major repairs in last 6 months increase value and expect them to lie and cheat you. Stonewalling them keeps them from closing out the claim & they have a financial incentive to do so. They want a quick settle and will wheel and deal to get it. Their legal requirement is to make you whole for your loss caused by their insured. You could have invented a cure for cancer while dealing with this crap. That's called "lost earning capacity" which has no legal limit. It would be up to a jury. I had Allstate screwing around with me for weeks until I used that phrase and then they admitted fault within 3 hours. If you are patient and fill up their inbox with receipts they will finally cave and give you what you want. Just because it's an older vehicle you don't have to settle for pennies. If they want to total it, send them craigslist ads of what it will cost to buy another one in the same rust-free condition. Even if they are on the West Coast. They may tell you it has to be within the region but that's a lie. They have to make you whole for your loss caused by their insured. You may already know this but just saying anyway.

Last edited:

The napa brand is Clevite the 1/2 bolt is just a tad too big the bushing is the same the only difference is in the bolt sleeve the xj has a few nubs in the bolt sleeve these are hard to drill out the JK bushing part number is 267-1490 and had no nubs possibly other brands may just fit a 1/2 but all it takes to fit a 1/2 in the jk clevite bushing is passing something through to spread the sleeve less than a 32nd and with no nubs it should drill easy . 12mm or 7/16 fit with no work and are an upgrade over the 10mm stock bolt which is 10.9-metric the equal to sae grade 8 you could use a socket 12mm cap screw to get grade 12.9 which surpasses grade 8 .

My 14 bolt hubs were leaking not sure if the seals are the only issue or if the spindles got grooves in them from having tired seals...anywho picked up a few felpro seals dor the axle flange seal and for the hubs I just got some gm seals part.# 710568 these are unitized and spin inside itself eliminating the part that rides on the spindle ...lol...the spindles may be fine but I don't feel like not having the parts on hand when I tidy up the h hubs I could have used a speedy sleeve but these were in stock .

So their insurance came out today to inspect the xj and is calling it a total loss. Valued for now at 3400 if they keep it or 2800 if i keep it with a salvage title. Still have to submit records for the cost of the tires, brakes, windshield, engine and all other parts purchased for the engine swap. Might increase value some but not much. Leaning towards keeping it as it is mechanically sound. Buying another one in that price range I'm pretty sure i will be putting a buck or two to get it into the same mechanicall shape as the one I have now. So either way there will be money and time spent fixing things. Since I originally paid 1k for this one I'm thinking it's a fair deal so far.

What year jeep? Even at a 2wd and high miles if body was in decent shape I think they are way low balling you if it's newer than a renix

It's a 99 classic 4x4 with 230k. Engine has 120k but it does have hail damage on every panel from last year's major hail storm. Kbb and nada comes out to average about 2200.

I only got 5500$ for my very clean and lower mileage Sport when it got totaled back in 2008, so I don't think the insurance quote is too far. Just because idiots on CL think an 87 with some bald 33's is worth 5K doesn't mean its true.

Yeah but book value and market value go in to determining value. I got values bumped by showing market value was well above the book.
With that high and hail damage you may be making out, even with the new stuff. The hail damage is a killer.

Going to make a few good runs after my wheels get here next week ...lol...and then start reworking my front and rear fenders and corresponding junk as to be able to lower it 5 inches and gain up travel and still be able to run 42-44s . I got all the tube and steel to do it any way I want without spending a dime ,but will probably cheat on.the sheet metal by buying the TnT pre made inner fenders .

Back