• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colorado B/S Thread

Re: The Colorado BS thread

So, whats gonna be open out that way this time of year? Since i am getting out there I want to go to places like Pikes Peak and Rocky Mountain National Park just not sure of all the stuff to do out there.
What were the dates again? We might find some stuff down lower since we have had the driest spring on record.

What were the dates again? We might find some stuff down lower since we have had the driest spring on record.

April 26th-May 2nd. We decided on Pikes Peak so he can show us Garden of the Gods. We will be checking out RMNP too, guessing not on the same day.

GOG is pretty cool and super close to PP as well. So thats easy to knock out same day. Peak is pretty clear already, so shouldnt be much snow when ya come

GOG is pretty cool and super close to PP as well. So thats easy to knock out same day. Peak is pretty clear already, so shouldnt be much snow when ya come

Cool, always wanted to check out PP since playing Gran Turismo when I was a kid. Lots of racing history there. I have wanted to come out west for a long time, glad I'm finally able to do it. Hopefully I can get a ride in a Jeep while i'm there!

if ya remember gran turismo as a kid you are a kid :D

if ya remember gran turismo as a kid you are a kid :D

28, still a kid at heart though! :D

shit. Aaron you are like 2 years older than me.

My jeep is 27 years old. I've got shoes older than you.

Hahahaha, i hear older gentlemen hang on to shoes for a long time. Are they Hush puppies? :D

Just got back from El Paso, made it in 10hrs. Holy hell thats a long drive though. We rented a Chevy Traverse because neither of us (My wife and I or my Brother-in-law and his girl friend) had a large enough vehicle to take us all down there. With 4 adults and my son in there it still had plenty of room, the 3rd row is a split bench so we left the single side up for my son and folded down the other side for all of our crap. That left the second row open for my brother-in-law and his g/f. I have to say, we all liked it. Its the AWD variant and nothing fancy features wise but it got just over 20mpg the entire trip, seats weren't super comfy by any means but they didn't give you reason to complain either. The ride was nice, road noise well controlled. Over all it was a nice vehicle. Its getting added to the list of vehicles the wife and I are going to be looking at next year.

I still lean towards the Touareg TDI though because of the 28-32mpg HWY rating and 7700lbs tow rating. Pricing is much different once you add in the leather, satnav, and other options to the Traverse/Acadia to match the base TDI Touareg. The only thing the Touareg lacks is the third row seating. Not absolutely needed for a 3 person family but its a nice feature.

Our list for a new SUV consists of:
- Touareg V6 TDI (my favorite minus the pricing)
- Current Grand Cherokee/Durango (I wish it was available with a diesel)
- WK Diesel (only if a very low mileage one can be had)
- Acura MDX (I say hell no to Jap crap, but she likes them)
- Chevy/GMC Traverse/Acadia (Very nicely priced and the 3rd row option is a major plus)
- Range Rover Sport (she's fraking dreaming if she thinks thats happening, although they are cool)
- 4dr JK Rubicon (Apparently I'm dreaming because she says hells no)
- New Ford Explorer w/ 4cy Eco-boost (I like the TDI rivaling 30mpg hwy fuel efficiency, although neither of us like Ford's all that much. Its still worth a look)

We just both want to get 1 new vehicle that we know will last for years to come, has plenty of room for the family, and gets respectable fuel economy. Currently of oour 3 cars 1 is at 185,000miles and the other 2 are at about 210,000 miles. I'm getting tired of fixing things and frankly none of our vehicles are as large as we'd like. The Passat is really the only one that could hold us comfortably for a really long trip but its also the neglected beater. The WK and Touareg Diesels are my top 2 because of their fuel economy and ability to act as an interim tow vehicle for the YJ. The issue with the WK though is its a few years old now and just trying to find one.

Last edited:

Explorer is probably out, the Eco-boost is only available in FWD and I refuse to have an SUV thats not AWD or 4WD. The V6 variant is almost identical to the Acadia so we'll still give it a look but most likely between the two the Acadia would be the winner for us if for no other reason than a preferance for Chevy/GMC over Ford.

We drove a couple of the Acadias back in '07 and were VERY disappointed with the engine power. That's a pretty hefty SUV and it was grossly under powered.

Not sure if the 2012 is different power wise but I found it to be plenty powerful. Its not going to win any races but it has no problem getting you onto the highway despite the 4 adults, 1 toddler, and all of our luggage for a week long trip. Cruising up the pass into New Mexico it had no issues maintaining speed. The 6spd automatic definitely helps in that regard. Merging, passing, and cruising are not a problem. Obviously there are faster and more powerful vehicles but this one has enough to do what its supposed to do.

Overall the Traverse wasn't anything spectacular, but there was nothing about it that was dissapointing either. I think thats why I like it so much, it just does the job without issue. No frills or thrills, just a roomy and decently efficient vehicle capable of hauling the entire family and more. Its also something I'll have absolutely no desire to modify, or a need to.

freerider, lots of places for rent up west of horsetooth, at least for the summer.

Back