• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

codes 135 155 and 161 will not idle

alwayzAMC

NAXJA Forum User
hello everyone

i am having a problem with my 2000 xj

vehicle will not idle, however i can keep it at an idle rpm with using the gas pedal. it funs flawlessly on the road, plenty of power i just have to manually control gas pedal to keep it running. when it starts to idle down at a stop it will stay at 750 or so RPM for 1 second, then drop and usually stall out, or run at a low idle, which is too low for the alternator and eventually die out. i have cleared the codes just a bit ago, and they have not come back as of yet while trying to run the engine.

this is my mothers jeep so i am not 100% certain of the events leading to the issue, but according to her it was running perfectly, then she went to start it the other day and would not run on an idle. i have checked fuse 10 in the passenger kick panel, and it is fine.

the vehicle does have an exhaust leak, i am suspecting in one of the manifolds, as i seem to have a weak motor mount.

i have the FSM for my 99, but i know that they changed many things in the 2000/2001 years.

i am suspecting a bad ground, or a shorted out power wire to the heaters,, but find it odd that only 3 of 4 O2 sensors are showing faults, are there 2 different grounds, 1 for bank 1 front and back, and bank 2 back ? is there a ground location for the O2 heaters?

i have had electrical gremlins in this vehicle since i bought it 5 years ago. it is on the chopping block to replace with another 1999 when it meets it's maker.

i will be going back under it with a volt meter to see if i am getting power to the heaters and to check for ground faults

thanks for any input,

RD

found a bad connection at the positive battery connection, spent so long searching bad grounds i didnt see the problem till i took the connection apart, i think the o2 heaters were trying to draw more power than was going through the positive cables or it was unrelated, all seems fine for now, and idles ok. it seems to have extended it's life for the moment.

Back