• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CheapCherokee's all purpose MJ Build

update!!!

started removing the rust on the frame rail, it is BAADDDDD.

Photoon8-15-11at611PM2.jpg

here is most of the rust cut off, still a little left to trim. i have some ideas brewing up on how I'm going to fix it, ultimately its going to take a lot of mocking up and thinking. obviously i'd like to make it stronger than it was before the rust. I'm thinking i'll fix the inner part of the rail and then plate everything around it for more strength. maybe i'll even plate the other side as well while I'm at it. honestly I'm not too thrilled about the fix, but I'm determined to get it done right. i'll try to keep this updated

I probably wouldn't do that.

I bet I would spot repair it and then plate the whole frame rail.

I probably wouldn't do that.

I bet I would spot repair it and then plate the whole frame rail.

thats kinda what i meant (i think?)

patch in the part you see cut out, with the same section from another MJ, then plate the entire frame rail to further strengthen it.

what do you mean by "spot repair"? fabbing up the rusted out spot from scratch, then plating it? I'm open to ideas here.

thats kinda what i meant (i think?)

patch in the part you see cut out, with the same section from another MJ, then plate the entire frame rail to further strengthen it.

what do you mean by "spot repair"? fabbing up the rusted out spot from scratch, then plating it? I'm open to ideas here.

I would just get some metal and cut it to fit. Would be easier than trying to cut it out of an MJ in the yard.

if you're going to plate the frame anyway (which you should absolutely when making a repair like this to it) you can get away with taking a piece of cardboard and making what you need to fill out of that, adding a 1/4" or so on all sides, then flattening it out and transferring it as a pattern on to some flat material. then you can do some tweaking and trimming the excess to get it to almost fit where it needs to go and then work your way from one end to the other clamping and tacking it until it fits where it's supposed to. stitch weld it, grind it smooth, and plate over it and never worry about it again.

if you're going to plate the frame anyway (which you should absolutely when making a repair like this to it) you can get away with taking a piece of cardboard and making what you need to fill out of that, adding a 1/4" or so on all sides, then flattening it out and transferring it as a pattern on to some flat material. then you can do some tweaking and trimming the excess to get it to almost fit where it needs to go and then work your way from one end to the other clamping and tacking it until it fits where it's supposed to. stitch weld it, grind it smooth, and plate over it and never worry about it again.

1/4" ?

Formed 10-gauge upwards to 3/16" would be more than adequate.

1/4" ?

Formed 10-gauge upwards to 3/16" would be more than adequate.

I believe he meant add 1/4" to his MEASUREMENTS.

Looks like you need to come over some Thursday night and I'll introduce you to my Plasma cutter and then we'll fab up some new frame rails......

Maybe you could just cut out the rails on Jason's, it will be here soon and we will be starting the parting party.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Looks like you need to come over some Thursday night and I'll introduce you to my Plasma cutter and then we'll fab up some new frame rails......

Maybe you could just cut out the rails on Jason's, it will be here soon and we will be starting the parting party.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

haha i think you read my mind! i've already cut out 4 pieces, and really wished i could've used a plasma, would've saved me lots of time! i wish i could bring the truck over, except with the section of frame cut out, i can't drive it! maybe i can make my templates and bring the pieces over to be cut out.

and Jason's frame rails won't work, as the XJ and MJ rails are different.

haha i think you read my mind! i've already cut out 4 pieces, and really wished i could've used a plasma, would've saved me lots of time! i wish i could bring the truck over, except with the section of frame cut out, i can't drive it! maybe i can make my templates and bring the pieces over to be cut out.

and Jason's frame rails won't work, as the XJ and MJ rails are different.

I wondered if the rail were different.........See the PW leave is kind a bitter sweet. So what's in the plans so Dad can still go out?

Maybe I could pull the MJ over for you to do some work if the frame will hold it together.

Thanks,
Fred

I wondered if the rail were different.........See the PW leave is kind a bitter sweet. So what's in the plans so Dad can still go out?

Maybe I could pull the MJ over for you to do some work if the frame will hold it together.

Thanks,
Fred

My dad will be riding shot gun with me in the MJ when i start taking it out. Im planning on going on the November trip, but he won't be able to make it due to work.

as far as the MJ, i made some progress today.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

made these inner plates to run behind the cut up rails, so now i have something for the actual panels to rest against and weld to. now i need to cut out templates i already made and weld them in. should end up very much like how the frame rail was. then i'll weld in some box tubing on the bottom of the rail and then cover it with plate, and have some plug welds attaching it to said box tubing. then i'll weld in the leaf spring mount, then finally plate over the whole thing and call it good. well thats the plan.

Fred, do you think i could come over some time and cut out what i need with the plasma? that should save me some time.

Fred, do you think i could come over some time and cut out what i need with the plasma? that should save me some time.

Sure, I should have Explorer 1 back from T &J's later this week. Wed. afternoon or anytime Thursday would work for me. Let me know what would work for you.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

P.S. We just scheduled doing the Rubicon with Jeff and Cameron Sept. 11th! Should be fun!

well, didn't get as much as i wanted to get done today, but i still got stuff done!!!

This afternoon Fred (explorer1) really helped me out by me letting me use (well, he did most of the cutting) his plasma cutter to cut out the next panels to go on the frame rail. this saved me from painstakingly sawzalling at the panels for hours. here i am grinding the edges smooth after the cutting:

IMG_0297.jpg

and here i am a happy Jeeper with my newly cut panels:

IMG_0299.jpg

i know they don't look like much, but you'll see after i weld them in

I was hoping to weld them in today, but after getting home and having dinner i realized i didn't have enough daylight left for it to be worth it to get out all the equipment. oh well, to be continued tomorrow.....

thanks again Fred!

the two odd shaped piece and supports welded in:
IMG_0009.jpg

i ended up adding two more of those box tubing supports

then the bottom capped on:

IMG_0013.jpg

and now i am doing a lot of grinding to get ready to weld on the leaf spring hanger. any tips on getting that thing perfectly mounted correctly? i was just going to take a bunch of measurements from the other side and match them but if anyone has other ideas lets hear them! and yes i will be plating over all of this after the leaf spring hanger is in, so don't worry it will be strong enough :D

Dumb question maybe, but why not plate it before the spring hanger goes on? It would be stronger, and easier to plate.

Back