• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all jeep guru's

matt6669

NAXJA Member # 1602
I have now been after this problem since the summer and i've exhausted every lead i can possibly think of.

Over the summer I did a 5-90 upgraded battery kit and after i did that this is when the problem has surface.

When I start up the jeep the following things happen
I get volts, gas guage and temp gauge to work.
My check engine and airbag lights are on and i also have a no bus in the odometer reading area
And my tach, and oil pressure and I believe speedo all dont work.
Also if you put it in drive and try to drive it sounds like your attached to a building, im guessing because the tranny isn't shifting b/c its in 3rd. But if i manually put it in 1 it takes off no problem.

I have gotten the FSM and i've exhausted every lead in that book. I went to the guage cluster portion and did EVERY step they said, and everything check out ok time and time again. I've probably done it about 5 times just to be sure.

Then i thought maybe it was the ecu, so I replaced that, still a no go.

Thought it could be the guage cluster itself, had another one laying around that wasn't it either.

Then i started to look at the pinouts of the ecu. Saw theres a ccd bus pin on the ecu. I follow that through the wiring diagram which leads you to both the data link and the guage cluster. Checked that for continuity that checked out.

I don't know what else to do. I havn't drive my jeep in a year and my wrx is on its last leg. If anyone has ANY ideas please share.

Thanks
Matt

yeah forgot to post that.
Its a 98 chero the only upgrade as far as wiring and what not is the battery wires that i updated with 5-90's full kit

Sorry I haven't called ya back. I got your message and I'll see if my boss will let me borrow the scaner for the day. My chances are pretty slim but i'll give it a shot. Let you know as soon as i do

thanks a lot Brian deffs owe you already for all you've done. This fricken problem is driving me insane.

I'm almost to the point where im gonna start searching for a wiring harness and just replace it b/c this is ridiculous.

Hey Matt,

Stupid question, but did you try to contact the manufacturer who made this 5-90 upgrade kit? Maybe they have heard of similar problems which you are seeing, and can point you in the right direction. When all else fails, yank that upgrade kit out! Good luck!

-Todd

remember the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it :repair:

if only I still had the old wiring. I did this upgrade about 6 months ago that shit is LONG since gone. Boo to me

And yes new rule, don't fix it unless its broke stupid jeeps

Have you talked to 5-90 about it?

I have installed 3 kits and everything has gone perfect. Are you sure you installed everything right and have no shorts in the system?

yeah i talked to 5-90 and he and i weren't able to come up with anything.

I think its just a coincidence that it happened at the same time and has nothing to do with the kit.

I would start with the ignition switch.

already checked that at the pdc and at the guage cluster and at the pcm it checks out and has voltage at all locations

I think im gonna end up spending the 350 bucks to get the program that runs off your laptop that performs the same way a snap on scanner works we'll see. I spent another whole day working on it and got nothing.

already checked that at the pdc and at the guage cluster and at the pcm it checks out and has voltage at all locations

I think im gonna end up spending the 350 bucks to get the program that runs off your laptop that performs the same way a snap on scanner works we'll see. I spent another whole day working on it and got nothing.

I'll talk to my boss tomorrow about getting the scanner

Can you be more specific about the problems, and have you checked the voltages while the problems were happing?

well I can list whats happening again. It's a constant problem, it never not happens but here we go

Turn key start vehicle. Vehicle starts up with no problems and idles perfectly fine.
Now on the gauge cluster is as follows.
Battery volts = works
Gas gauge = works
tach = doesn't work
speedo = doesn't work
oil pressure = doesn't work
engine temp = works
seatbelt light = doesn't work
4wd hi & lo light = doesn't work
directionals = work
hi beams = work
gauge cluster backlits = work
odometer reads = no bus
check engine light is on
also airbag light is also on

Put truck in drive, give it gas, its like its being held back because the no bus code is on, the tranny is in limp mode so the tranny is sitting in 3rd gear. If i manually shift the auto trans into first no problems it drives away but won't shift itself.

If anyone has the 97 or 99 fsm's i've done every step that it says for a non working gauge cluster and no bus code possible. I've also checked the voltages are the fused b+ and ingnition switch at both the pdc, pcm, and gauge cluster. I've also gone as far as checking for resistance on the ccd + and - between the cluster and the pcm and thats fine as well.

Thats all i can think of so far.

oh and thanks a lot brian. If you could get it, that would be a dream come true. I was looking into those autotap programs and it doesn't seem like that is going to do what I need it to do.

Check engine light on so what are, were all the codes?

well because theres a no bus the scanner can't do a full scan so it comes up can not complete full scan and then gives me like 3 o2 sensor codes. I have a feeling the o2 codes are because of the no bus as well.

Check the wires near the entire exhaust system including the manifold for any burned insulation, especially on the oxygen sensors!!!!

Also check and make sure that you did not remove and fail to replace any small ground wire connections while doing the 5-90 retrofit, like a computer ground wire or computer sensor ground wire from the wiring harness itself.

Back