• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor Resistor

XBoBJ

NAXJA Forum User
I GOT NO HEAT:dunno:, my heater used to only work on high, Blower motor resistor i thought. Then it started not working but i would hit a bump and it worked again, now i can hit all the bumps in the world and still no heat. Do you think its the blower motor resistor? Or the motor itself, i know there is 4 speeds each going to a different resistor except "high" which just grounds the motor and does not go through any resistor, could my motor have shit the bed? or can the resistor shit the bed and stop the motor.

Last edited:
When it only worked on high, your resister was burned out. Now you also have something else wrong. Did you check your fuse? Check for 12 volts going to the blower motor connector (dark green wire) and check for ground at the black/tan wire. If that is good, your motor is bad. 12V comes from battery to fuse to relay to motor and ground goes through control switch to ground.

if it was a fuse why would it go off and on when hitting bumps? usually fuses just go and stay dead. loose ground/connector ill try that, sticking relay could also be it. then ill jump it out and if that dont work then time for a new motor, i was just wondering after the resistor being on high for a while (i was using it for a year like this) that it would stop working.

Hallo. I was pulling my car radio out and pressed too hard in.
After that, my blower was also stopped working.
It was a connector behind the lever/switch panel. It was loose a little bit by pushing the radio against it. Maybe you have to check your connectors above the radio.:laugh:

Last edited:
Since it was getting progressively worse it sounds like worn out brushes in the motor. Its like a starter or window motor where you have to hit it with a hammer to make it work. You could try putting 12v to the motor, or pull the resistor and take a look at it.

Good. You should buy a new motor without testing the old one. Good for the economy, don't you know.

i have a simular problem. i put 12 volts to the fan and it works good. but no power coming out of the plug into the fan. ill have to check the relay. where is the resistor block located?

The resistor is on the HVAC housing under the right side of the dash. But even if the resistor is blown, it will still work on high. There is also a relay under the dash which could be bad if the high speed also doesn't work. Not any of the fuses, huh?

The thermal fuse is the prominent failure mode for the resistor. Radio Shack has them and you can solder them right in. Check with ohmmeter across fuse. Symptoms are still the same - blower only works on high.

Back