• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BigK's XJs

Pulled the Transmission out again today. Swapping the pump with one from any of the 3 transmissions I have sounded like the best bet so I decided to do that. My dad was really interested in why the old one was still leaking so we scoured over it looking for flaws. We looked behind the front seal on our donor pump as well as the leaking one and noticed some differences. We had already decided to get a new front seal so we pulled both of the seals from both of the pumps. Behind the seals are Brass bushings. Here's what a similar one is supposed to look like.
IMG_5996_zps821b6246.jpg

Here's what mine looked like. This is the thing that would have been "chattering" and what scored up the old torque converter.

20140330_1400242_zps2dede73e.jpg

Not a lot of brass left, and one hell of a gouge. Anyway, swapped the pumps, new o ring and front seal, put the transmission back in, went well. I Put the tcase back in the original holes, I'll clock it later. Seems to have just as much drip from the transmission as every other jeep, which is strange to say the least, but I can live with it.

Hack n tap the red is next, sell my white one, get out and enjoy the weather! Im thinking easter weekend I need to go find something to drive over.

good to know about that seal. good to see you are getting it done and figuring it all out man.

good to know about that seal. good to see you are getting it done and figuring it all out man.

Im glad I got it done. It was a thorn in my side for a while there. I've got to see how well it holds up before the new exhaust and intake go on, id hate for something to happen and ruin them.

Sold my white one on monday. It was my first car, im going to miss it. Ill get an honorary photo or two up tomorrow.

Also tomorrow ill be hack n tapping the red, drilling pilot holes for clocking, and installing the quarter panel guards that came with the tire carrier. Should be a fun day, and I can probably go wheeling Friday to see how everything shakes out.

Got the hack n tap in today. I've got to synch up some things with the tire carrier and transfer case, install the new tailpipe, wire up the lights, and hardwire the aux fan. No wheeling tomorrow, but I'm counting on heading out Easter weekend.

Ah Jeez, should've seen that one coming. This better be the last friggen time too. Im actually considering investing in a crow foot wrench for the lower passenger tcase nut. That thing is the worst.

Swapped out the torque converter today. Ended up cutting down my 9/16" ratcheting wrench to make my life easier with that stupidly placed nut. Sunday I've got new exhaust and a cold air intake going in which I'm super stoked for.

I forgot to mention, last weekend my boss let me have 160sqft of racks. They're made from 3/8" steel rod and are in 8x2 lengths with 3"x3" gaps. I'm thinking I need to make at least one roof rack, and a rear partition for my blue jeep. I'll draw up some designs between classes. Depending on how well the rack comes out I could probably make more and sell em on here. Should be pretty cheap considering material costs.

Well here's my new intake.
20140413_164320_zps6c9ef283.jpg

I also got my exhaust installed, but I didn't grab a pic. It's a dynomax turbo, it's slightly noticeable, but not overly loud which is great. Weird smoke issue when I exit the highway ill have to look into. Haven't done any drawings yet, but I found how I wanted to mount the partition: the rear seat belt holders up top, and the upper rear seat retainers. Id like it to be easily removable for when I put the rear seat down, so maybe I'll have it swing from the upper mount into the retainer. Should be good.

I think ill be getting some new injectors at some point and a 63mm bored throttle body for S&G.

OK, here's a shot or two of the racks that I've got, and some rough design work. The swinging latching partition idea isn't going to work without making some new brackets to mount it to. Shouldn't be a problem, just more designing and whatnot. Let me know what you guys think, these are just rough designs. I've heard great things about the dowel method for making things out of EMT. I've got enough material to make easily 2-3 racks. Anyone interested?

20140414_190928_zps41e50130.jpg

What you see here is a 6x4 section, which will be roughly the size of the rack once its done. the star you'll see in my drawing is to note the seam between two racks. I'm not sure how to attach these together, and then to the EMT "frame" though it could be something as simple as zip ties.
20140414_191559_zps71468242.jpg

20140414_233218_zps08549085.jpg

I've contemplated cutting the racks, and drilling holes in the EMT so theyll fit together like tinker toys. problem is I don't have much more than a hand drill and thats a lot of holes that need to be in a straight line. I've got a jig in mind to make it much easier, but I'm also open to ideas.

20140414_233417_zps12d34c48.jpg

And because I'm antsy to go wheeling...

2013-06-09140033_zps77f7a548.jpg

Nice come up on the rack material. Can you shoot me a pm with a price on a rack and then just the material by itself, if that's alright.

Hey bud.. Since you're so good at dropping transmissions and all...

Wanna help me with my flexplate on my 99? :D
Can trade fish,coffee, beer etc!?

Yeah man, I've even got a few clean flex plates if you're in need of one too haha. How bout a set of 784's? I'll throw in a couple bucks for em too. Next Saturday is pretty much my only open day.

Back