• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BigK's XJs

Nice. Miller's are good machines. I learned to weld on an old 225 in high school. That thing took a lot of abuse. I've been trying to get a 110 for a while, but the circuit my dryer is on has a really small amperage rating so it trips the breaker all the time.

Just replace it with a bigger breaker......50amp should work :anon:

Don't do it!!! :skull1:

We're about the same age. I went to branham high for half my freshmen year. Then moved back to santa cruz graduated 2010

You should definitely come hang next time Tim has a wrenchfest!

Planning on coming to the Reno run in May possibly?

graduated in 2010?
good god your a young wippersnapper!
my wallet is older than you.
damnit i feel friggin old now! :banghead:

Ya I graduated college in 2006.

even worse I finished college, again, (MA in econ) in 2010. Dude I'm 30 I'm not even that young lol...

born in '84 then?
in '84 I graduated high school & bought my first Harley (of about 50).
uugghh, my 30 year hs reunion is this summer.
i've had the same friggin job for 30 years. :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ha 83. Turning 31 soon. It's weird. I don't feel that old.

We're about the same age. I went to branham high for half my freshmen year. Then moved back to santa cruz graduated 2010

You should definitely come hang next time Tim has a wrenchfest!

Planning on coming to the Reno run in May possibly?

Yeah I really wanted to go in February, but my sister blew the transmission in my blue one the Friday before.

As for the Reno run, my brother's birthday is that weekend. I can probably go, but I'm not quite sure yet.

picked up a tranny for the blue yesterday. Should be in this sunday. I'm still thinking I want a low-pinion 30 for it so I can keep it under 4" when it actually gets lifted. this means there's a High pinion 30 up for grabs because its getting rained on doing nothing. I drained all the old fluid and put the cover back on. I guess I'll throw the shafts in if you want, but they need new joints. No brakes though, I was going to re use the ones on the jeep because they're almost brand new.

Patrick those coils you gave me were 4.5" right?

why would you willingly go LP? Am I missing something?

sorry, the blue one I have is a 2000. In order to clear the exhaust manifold with a HP you need about 4.5" or more lift. I'm thinking I might want to stay low, maybe 2" with 31's and long travel shocks, and a belly skid. Streetable, but functional. Theres the concern about the lp gearset running on the coast side, but I've heard that tj's use low pinion d30's as well and have relatively no issues.

Ya they are 4.5"

Holy shit I didn't realize that was you until you just mentioned that! hah

Dude I could use an HP 30 in my buddys build. It's an 87 with the vac disco. Is it 3.07 gears?

Also I am pretty sure ZJ's use a LP too.. not 100% though

Ya they are 4.5"

Holy shit I didn't realize that was you until you just mentioned that! hah

Dude I could use an HP 30 in my buddys build. It's an 87 with the vac disco. Is it 3.07 gears?

Also I am pretty sure ZJ's use a LP too.. not 100% though

The hp I have is non disco with 3.55. What rear does he have? You might get lucky and find a 44 at pick n pull with 3.55, I see em every now and then and I think rear axles aren't too expensive. Yeah all ZJ's are Lp, which is good because I can rarely find 2000+ xjs at pnp.

Ya I've seen like 1 2000 in the last couple months.

It has a 44 already though so we'll probably just delete the vac disco somewhere down the line.

Oh right on.

I've heard you can pull the vac system and move an e clip to permanently lock the two shafts together. Then you just plug the vac lines. It won't break or wear out because there's no load on the shift fork.

So today I swapped the transmission In my blue jeep. I got the front seal swapped before the transmission went in and used a different torque converter. the one that came with that transmission was all scored up. Anyway so I got it all buttoned up, and the damn thing was absolutely pouring fluid from the bellhousing. I got it out before it got dark, and noticed the little nubby shaft that locates the torque converter In the flexplate broke off.

So, heres my list of things I need to do that are jeep related:
swap the pump oring in the tranny, reinstall
Hack n tap the red<------ got a tire carrier bumper coming in april
Get a new window regulator for my white one, damn thing broke in the wide open position.
Clock as many transfer cases as I can when I get the jig from jmax.
Go wheeling before the weather turns sour.

So my dad and I got a tire carrier for the Red, its a smittybilt xrc. Install was a PITA, took me about 5 hours by myself having to line stuff up, cut off things that shouldn't have to be cut off, and drill holes where there shouldn't be holes. Its on there good and tight though, and should serve our purposes well. I swapped out the O-ring in the transmission, the old one had a bunch of flat spots and some grime on it. looking at the torque converter that came out of the transmission it seems like something behind the seal was chattering a bunch. Hopefully it doesn't, I got a re-manufactured torque converter to go in it. looking at pictures of the pump exploded doesn't show anything that should chatter. maybe there was something in there?
20140320_105114_zpsfd2079e0.jpg

Last edited:
Looks real nice. I put a Detours USA Tailbone on mine and it took about the same time.

Looks real nice. I put a Detours USA Tailbone on mine and it took about the same time.

I really want one of those for my blue jeep, they've stopped making them for the time being though.

Yesterday I put the transmission back in the jeep. This time it only leaked a little. Grrrrr, good thing I've got next week off of school. Problem is I have no idea what's causing the leak.

I also clocked the case, but I had to put it back to the normal orientation because of clearance issues. I'll work on it while I have the transmission out again.

Back