• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody have long arm pics from their own build?

adamusmc2002

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, haven't been in the advanced fab and eng forum much, but my buddy and I are looking to build our own long arms, and I'm in search of some do's and don'ts I guess. We've noticed that most kits run 36" arms, and mount right next to the trans crossmember, or it integrates a whole new crossmember. We're trying to figure out if we would want to run 32" arms, and just bracket the arms right in front of the trans crossmember. Any thoughts? Also, when a long arm suspension is stuffed, does the lower arm come in contact with the frame? That's our primary concern right now, but I didn't know if we'd even be able to stuff it that much. Thanks all

85cherokeechief said:
I am running 38" arms on mine, and they mount behind the cross member. At full stuff, the arms are about 1/2" from the frame rails, and they run directly underneath them.Here is a picture.
"Holy loss of ground clearance,Batman".What a "rock magnet".
0b1322c1c4ea9117d3a3464961c54899-.jpg

In this pic you can hardly even tell that Ive got LA's
mvc-006f.jpg

Last edited:
What are your specs? I like the look!

HPIM0221.jpg

HPIM0203.jpg

thanksgiving012.jpg

im not really too happy with the way they hang down so low, but i havent hit them off anything yet (lack of rocks in MI). there made out of 2in DOM 0.25 wall upper and lower. im working on a new crossmember to put the mounts up 'inside' the frame rail. POLY BUSHINGS ALL THE WAY!

Last edited:
xj rockn said:
also what is the best way to mount the rear of the arm, weld the angle iron on or drill a hole and bolt some steel in that way

we at BBC offroad..haha, yeah its a little thing my buddies and i have, found that if you take some angle iron and weld it to the frame (drill holes in it then weld it that way) and then bolt on a stiffener plate to the angle iron. i will be doing either a write up soon, or selling kits or whole arms with unlimited possibilites. we have to make a set for a guy and were gonna set up a jig when we do that so we can knock out arms and sell them on ebay. hopefully everything will go well with that.

I'm at about 36" also. Johnny Joints at the crossmember, and rubber bushings at the axle. Very flexy and quiet.

DSCN0986.jpg

DSCN0980.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

The Frame-side brackets only hang 1" below the bellyskid. You'll want to inboard your hangers, i hated having mine under the frame the mounts got hung up on everything.

As for mounting them, i would advise you to sleeve the entire bottom of the "framerail". I used a 4"x6" box tube and cut into two 4"x3" C-channels. I then drilled 36 1/2" holes in each channel to weld to the truck. This trick goes a long way toward stiffening the whole unibody.

Last edited:
Here's mine:

xmem5.jpg

How it attached to the frame:

long7.jpg

long8.jpg

long14.jpg

long17.jpg

(the angle iron is extended from the old LCA mount to the rear spring hanger)

Finished:

lafinal%20001.jpg

lafinal%20014.jpg

lafinal%20011.jpg

Worked pretty well for what it was. Flexed to the limits of the shocks without binding up at all, had pretty good manners on the street and was predictable on the trail, and had shitty ground clearance. For a quick project without a whole lot of design headaches I was happy with it. Arms were around mid-30's IIRC (you could PM Timmay if you really wanted to find out, as he's using those arms now).

ponyracer1 said:
HOLY GOD!! I am PISSED that my 1/2 plate crossmember had to sit on the bottom of the frame rail instead of in between them. Guess I shouldn't worry about it to much.....

vetteboy said:
had shitty ground clearance

Told ya so.

Like I said, it worked well for what it was. I didn't get hung on it much.

But, there's also a reason why it's like this now:

brace5.JPG

brace3.JPG

spring3.JPG

Fitting a NV4500, 231 crawl box, D300 non-flipped and rear 4-link is not the easiest thing to do while not having anything hang down. My choices were to drop everything by 1" and have a flat belly skid or to remove the entire transmission tunnel and most of the floor. I think it'll work ok though.

wow man, that's impressive vetteboy. And thanks to everyone for your 2 cents, really helps. We'll take pics along the way and post up on our progress.

rehab said:
HPIM0221.jpg

im not really too happy with the way they hang down so low, but i havent hit them off anything yet (lack of rocks in MI). there made out of 2in DOM 0.25 wall upper and lower. im working on a new crossmember to put the mounts up 'inside' the frame rail. POLY BUSHINGS ALL THE WAY!

Man I love longarm threads...

I can't see in the pic but you may want to wrap a piece of strap around those bushings at the frame end and tie it into the arm itself, the sleeve is pretty thin and with all the force you're gonna see at the x-member during flex they could fail.

And we all know that a longarm failure at the frame is a BAD thing.

vetteboy said:
Here's mine:

long8.jpg

Yikes. To all those aspiring fabbers out there getting ready to hack your framerails......buy a holesaw.

RockControlXJ said:

does the square tubing present any strength issues as opposed to round, and the same question of strength goes to how you cut and welded the lower control arms. Looks like a nice design, and one badass jeep

Back