• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another sye ?

Did you just stop at the end of the spline with the yoke or go all the way back the the bearing for support?

lilkuff said:
will this method work with a pre '96 aw4/242/8.8?
Yes. The writeup with the pics on go.jeep site was with the older style. I did notice that the exterior of the flange is the same diameter as my old one. I was thinking if you wanted to simplify it on the older style, I'll bet you don't even have to cut off anything. I'll bet you can just slip this one in place of the original and just "Tap", no "Hack".

Gojeep said:
Did you just stop at the end of the spline with the yoke or go all the way back the the bearing for support?
I cut off all but 1.25" of the splines. I cut the new flange to fit minus a little. I didn't feel it was necessary to jam it up against the bearing. Mostly because I cut the flange with a hand held grinder. The cut was not perfectly perpendicular, so I felt it would cause uneven pressure on the bearing if it was tightened against it.

SgtJCJ said:
Yes. The writeup with the pics on go.jeep site was with the older style. I did notice that the exterior of the flange is the same diameter as my old one. I was thinking if you wanted to simplify it on the older style, I'll bet you don't even have to cut off anything. I'll bet you can just slip this one in place of the original and just "Tap", no "Hack".

It does fit like that but you will have a hell of a time trying to drill the end of the shaft as you have not removed the hardening. Also you a missing a major point of this whole conversion and that is to have more distance between the yokes with a longer driveshaft so you can reduce the angles in them.

I understand the shortening of the shaft etc. However, if you left the shaft full length on a pre-96 it would still be shorter than the cut off post 96. As far as the hardenned area of the shaft. I found mine was the same through the whole thing. I have seen others post that as well. Perhaps the post-96 didn't have 2 different materials. I know in the original writeup the was a distict difference in color between the inner and outer. There was none on mine.

I have been wanting a NP242 for my 00XJ for some time. Finally the other day I found a good deal on a 02 Liberty 242. This case bolts up but does have some differences that I will work out. Both the front and rear output shafts are 32 spline. The front output should take a CV style yoke, the rear is a late style slip yoke type of shaft. The rear bearing housing does not have a speedo hole, but I figuered on changing the part anyway. I hope I can find all the parts since this 32 spline 242 should be fairly heavy duty. Has anyone else looked or played with one of these?
Angus

Back