• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 to 95 I must be crazy

jaydee1445

NAXJA Forum User
Blew the motor in my 88 XJ so I bought a 95 for parts. The 95 has better fuel injection, auto trans, and there were several things that did not work on the 88 so I figured I'd swap over all the 95 crap into the 88. What was I thinking :flipoff:

Stripped everything from the engine compartment on both Jeeps.
88outside.jpg

Gutted the interior to the firewall on both.

88dash.jpg

Some of the crap from the 88 that I'll scrap.

88wire.jpg

Now I just need to remember where everything goes. :gee:

Hang in there man! I swapped everything from my rolled 96 into a straight 87. Go get yourself a spiral notebook and take really good notes. PM me if you run into any problems.
they grow up so fast
773NewJeepBody.jpg

789FirstStart.jpg

Hang in there man! I swapped everything from my rolled 96 into a straight 87. Go get yourself a spiral notebook and take really good notes. PM me if you run into any problems.
they grow up so fast
773NewJeepBody.jpg

Did you swap an auto into the 87? What did you use to plug the hole from the clutch master? I have another 95 for reference. Screwed up and put the evap case in before pulling up carpet to change the plate to block off the shifter hole now I get to fight carpet from under the case.:laugh:
The dual diaphragm booster, master and porporting valve dropped right in with no problem. I had to flare new fittings when I chopped the abs out of the other 95. Figured I would have problems with the fitting match. Did use the 95 line to the RF caliper.
All the harness need to be swapped all the way to the tail lights. The 95 harness won't mate to the 88.:gonnablow

Last edited:
No I kept the AX-15. You should be able to find a suitable plug for the clutch at the hardware store.

Also be sure to use your shifter linkages and parking brake mechanism from the 95, they are different.

Back