• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7100s don't fit!

On the 3rd. They said it would be partially delivered on the 10th (today) and the rest by the 18th. I don't blame Summit, it just would've been nic to see that notice before ordering (don't know if there was a note before I paid, but I didn't see it). Race-Mart just plain had bad communication. At least with Summit, when I called, I got a person who quickly found my order and removed the expedited shipping, then when I called the next day someone else who quickly found and cancelled my order.

From race-mart, all I got was an invoice by email with no shipping info. I waited almost a week and no notice that it's been shipped, back-ordered, nothing. I e-mail them today, and here's the exchange.
Me said:
[FONT=&quot]I need to cancel my order from you, ID XXXX. I placed the order 3/4/2010 and haven't received a shipping confirmation or word on being back-ordered, nor have I received the bushings. I paid extra for faster shipping because I need these to get my vehicle on the road again. I have been unable to reach anyone by phone and have no means of checking on my order status.[/FONT]
And his reply (amazingly he responded to this quickly even though I still haven't gotten a call back)
race-mart said:
[FONT=&quot]Justin,

It has been special ordered for you from Prothane to be drop shipped directly to you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paul Fink[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]Race-Mart®[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Paul Fink Motorsports, Inc.[/FONT]

[/FONT]
Kartek had them in and I should have them tomorrow, so I'm getting excited about getting my shocks on again...:D

Just under 2" on the shock body. Measured with a digital caliper.

And got the bushings from Kartek today. Still 1/2" ID, exact same size as the heims. So I went to Autozone and had the guy look up the ones I need in his catalog. Coming from Energy Suspension now, they'll arrive Monday. I'm gonna have to try and send these back I guess.

And got the bushings from Kartek today. Still 1/2" ID, exact same size as the heims. So I went to Autozone and had the guy look up the ones I need in his catalog. Coming from Energy Suspension now, they'll arrive Monday. I'm gonna have to try and send these back I guess.
Man that sucks. You're having way too much fun with those shocks,... :smsoap:

is it too late to start over, and just use the heim w/ a new lower mount?
bushings are undesirable anyway, why else would allmost every high end shock in the world have heims over bushings.

That's what I asked a week ago. Why not cut it off and weld on a new stud? Should be easy on the rear axle at least.

LAZY! cut it off and put the rite size stud! Like xcm said there is a reason why they have the hiems on both ends... you start going fast your going to shred that bushing.

Hey Darky did you ever get those bushings? What is the part number? I'm going to be having the same problem.
19-920-BL was indeed the right one. I'm just an idiot. I pulled out the metal sleeves and they fit just fine.

Go with Kartek or Summit. Just call first to be sure if they have them in stock.

I'm sticking with the bushings for now because it allows me to keep the larger studs for more strength, if it makes a difference, also Ecksjay and Crazyjim seem to be having good luck with them.

LAZY! cut it off and put the rite size stud! Like xcm said there is a reason why they have the hiems on both ends... you start going fast your going to shred that bushing.
It has nothing to do with laziness. I put my XJ and MJ harder beatings than most, and my bushings held up fine. Pulling a THICKER diameter SINGLE shear stud out to put a smaller diameter stud in the name of "strength" is retarded...

its not retarded to want your shocks to do all the work... your bushings are doing some of it, 'harder' bushings or not.

you can debate if it matters in the real world or not, but dont say its retarded to mount something properly....

besides, if he's gonna re-do it, and only did it in single shear, OR mount it in less than optimal fashion because that requires extra fab work.....that would have everything to do with laziness..!!
i thought people wanted all the performance they can squeeze out of their premium shocks? or IS IT just for looks?
lets keep it real...

its not retarded to want your shocks to do all the work... your bushings are doing some of it, 'harder' bushings or not.

you can debate if it matters in the real world or not, but dont say its retarded to mount something properly....

besides, if he's gonna re-do it, and only did it in single shear, OR mount it in less than optimal fashion because that requires extra fab work.....that would have everything to do with laziness..!!
i thought people wanted all the performance they can squeeze out of their premium shocks? or IS IT just for looks?
lets keep it real...
So then basically what you're saying...

Because his shock mount is too large, instead of going to a bushing, he should ditch it all together, completely fab up new double shear shock mounts, and build a bed cage (since the only way to go double shear is to mount on top of the axle and through the floor). That sounds like a retarded idea to me if I ever heard one.

There is no way to properly mount shocks in double shear mounts while still keeping the factory mount points up top. Trust me I went through this when I broke my rear axle side mount. Therefore you need to stay single shear, in doing so you should use the largest possible shaft, if that requires a minimal sacrifice of going bushing over heim, then so be it... it'll still be stronger than some janky single shear that's thinner than the factory (which we all know isn't the strongest to begin with.)

yup, thats my opinion.

i guess roll cages are just too 'tarded for crazyjim?

how many times have you seen a shock stud bend?
ive seen them rip off at the weld (problem of single shear)
and ive seen the mount weld's break (problem of factory economics)

the problem isnt the 9/16ths bolt. it's everything else BESIDES that bolt.
furthermore, does he have a cherokee, or a commanche?

yup, thats my opinion.

i guess roll cages are just too 'tarded for crazyjim?

how many times have you seen a shock stud bend?
ive seen them rip off at the weld (problem of single shear)
and ive seen the mount weld's break (problem of factory economics)

the problem isnt the 9/16ths bolt. it's everything else BESIDES that bolt.
furthermore, does he have a cherokee, or a commanche?
Not everybody is at the point of a roll cage. Some people aren't that deep into the Jeep to cage it and go through the floor. As much as it may pain you to hear this, not everybody has the same agenda as us of going as fast as possible. Some people like to... wait for it... CRAWL. I know it's a filthy word ;), but they do it. Some people like to explore, and just go on road trips, using that back area as storage for all their goodies.

Most people here aren't fabricators, and don't want to spend $500 ON TOP of what they're spending for shocks. to re-invent mounts. Sometimes spending $25 on bushings, and taking that minuscule loss in performance, is the smart way to go.

And he has an XJ.

The idea of a bed cage would be nice, but then my current shocks would be no good. A 10" short body going through the floor? Too short. A pair of bushings will suit my needs fine. I probably won't be pushing nearly as hard as you or Jim, I just don't want to have to slam on the brakes every time I come across a whoop or some other bump in the trail. But yeah, I spent nearly $800 on shocks for looks...

Now for a question: I am using the JKS shock conversions up top PN 9601 (might be 9602, it's the XJ/YJ, specific ones with the 10* angle built in. How does this mounting look?
DSCN0800.jpg

DSCN0799.jpg

Nope. I looked up the install instructions on their site and it says to install with the sticker forwards, which is how they are, but the bracket is hitting and rubbing the shock it looks like. I had them with a slight outwards angle, if the front of the Jeep is 12 o'clock, I had the sticker at about 10 o'clock and it seemed good there. The reservoir and hose were positioned well and everything.

Back