• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6 inch long arm with 33's

I got RE 5.5 coils in front and a mix matched rear sitting a little lower in the rear. I love the look and handles great. I am also on long arms with the front axle pushed out about to about 102.5" wheelbase

5197435980_5688bbe555_b.jpg

i personally hate the look of big tires and little lift, i like a pretty nice size lift and some nice middle size tires, not too big not too small. i would consider 35s perfect for my 6 inch lift. i would rip the shit out of my undercairage if i was low, ive been in plenty of situations where i needed all my belly pan clearance. already ate my rocker panel a few times on my last xj on the same lift in jv. i didnt have sliders on that one though. i cant afford to buy armor for the whole bottom of my xj to keep it low and not get tore up. so ill just learn to drive really well in a tall crawler by keeping from tipping.

Last edited:
Whoever is saying 6 inches on 33s looks bad is just being ridiculous. If YOU want the up travel then build YOUR rig for that type of wheelin. I personally love being able to stuff my tires all the way into the fenders. Why spend the money on coils, shocks, and a long arm kit if your just going to limit its potential by throwing 5 inch bump stops in?

you need to bumpstop just as much with a billiondy inch lift as you do with a 3". it just takes a taller lift longer to get there.

i would rip the shit out of my undercairage if i was low, ive been in plenty of situations where i needed all my belly pan clearance. i already ate my rocker panel a few times on my last xj on the same lift in jv. i didnt have sliders on that one though. i cant afford to buy armor for the whole bottom of my xj to keep it low and not get tore up. so ill just learn to drive really well in a tall crawler by keeping from tipping.

skid plates ftw!

id rather scrape my undercarriage on rocks than scrape my roof on rocks.

4959_98012636407_92812931407_2405142_4382807_n.jpg

5736_687273077194_11322778_40712451_4922808_n.jpg

you need to bumpstop just as much with a billiondy inch lift as you do with a 3". it just takes a taller lift longer to get there.

bumpstops depend on tire size and shock setup as well.

and like you would rather scrape your undercarriage on rocks than your roof, i would like to be able to run through some woops at a decent speed without constantly being on the bumpstops.

well i like my 6 inch lift just how it is and ive never thought to myself that i wished i was lower. only thing i would love to do is get some 35s once these 33s are toast. other then that im very happy with the height of mine.

and thats what matters. just giving you another perspective

Different strokes for different folks. Gotta build the rig according to the land you are wheeling on. And big tires with little lift can still get decent up travel if you do some fender/inner fender modifications. I wouldnt do 6" of lift on 33s here in ohio, but i might out in the desert.

I'm running about 4" short arms with 4.56/ 35's. Perfect for what I've been into. Ive been wheeling in the desert and mountains for the last 4 years and it works for me. I previously had a built TJ with RE 5.5LA/4.88/36-13.5. It was a little too much for off camber activities. Serious pucker factor when you staring down a 300' drop. I felt a lot more comfy with the XJ with 30's and 2" lift but that really limited capability. I still have alot of up travel but had to cut the from and rear to the max to stuff the 35's. Ive seriously thought about going to 6" when I go to long arms but we'll see when the time comes. It's all personal preference and that's mine.

It should be noted that tire size and actual diameter are different. I ran 32" TSL's and they were bigger then most 33's, where as at least, it used to be, a BFG was only about 31". So in other words, a 33" BFG or will probably look a lot smaller then a 33" swamper. Most manufactures list the actual diameter of their tires.

ive roughly measured bfg's befor and they are generally only a half inch off, so 33=32.5 in my measuring

and ya KTM, i understand your point, am i mistaken or is your xj running a 5.5 coil up front and 3.5 lift of some design in the rear?

It should be noted that tire size and actual diameter are different. I ran 32" TSL's and they were bigger then most 33's, where as at least, it used to be, a BFG was only about 31". So in other words, a 33" BFG or will probably look a lot smaller then a 33" swamper. Most manufactures list the actual diameter of their tires.

my ss trxus mt's were a true 33 according to interco's website but it definitly varies with every style tire from each manufacturer

ive roughly measured bfg's befor and they are generally only a half inch off, so 33=32.5 in my measuring

and ya KTM, i understand your point, am i mistaken or is your xj running a 5.5 coil up front and 3.5 lift of some design in the rear?

on the current jeep:

im running a 2" coil in front right now. with my coil brackets its no more than 4" total.

rear is probably around 3.5". id like to boost it up a titch though.

Back